• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska cruise without entering the US

A bit of a side track, but I'm curious, how do they know? We were really surprised when returning from Hawaii, after two USA flights, we could just board a plane to Europe without anybody marking our passports (or their system) we left the US

They know. The check in system enters your passport number and it is linked with Homeland Security, or immigration.

Once I left US with them forgetting to take my I-94. I was so scared, but they say they do not need it. I was scared the next time I enter US I will be detained, but it turns out my worry is unfounded.

We were really curious about this, last year we left the US over land to Canada and we wondered if Canada lets them know who crosses the border? They stamped our passport on the stamp entering the US.

This issue has to do with non-USA citizens entering the country. The US is just like any other country and has a certain amount of time that a foreign guest can stay legally without "overstaying". Most people have to get a visitor visa in order to come here. If you overstay then you are banned from returning for 10 years and then it is with approval only. Many countries have their own requirements even for letting their own citizens leave their Country. Most Americans do not realize that by us being a "free" Country, it does not mean we are free to do whatever, we are free to LEAVE whenever we want. That is not the case in many Countries.

I am aware of that. We are non-US citizens and that's why we wondered how they knew we weren't overstaying our visa, they never asked for our passports. Here, we're free to travel inside the Shengen area. If you have a flight in the Shengen area and a connecting flight outside of Shengen, you have to pass a passport check to get to your flight
The U.S. bypassed the passport checks and tapped in directly with the airlines. They know who books a flight - you have to provide the passport information in advance when you book or check-in - and if they actually take the flight or not. Europe still does manual passport checks when you get in or out of the Shengen area.

I am aware of that. We are non-US citizens and that's why we wondered how they knew we weren't overstaying our visa, they never asked for our passports. Here, we're free to travel inside the Shengen area. If you have a flight in the Shengen area and a connecting flight outside of Shengen, you have to pass a passport check to get to your flight

Canada worries about Canada when you enter their country. Unless you are on some watch list that the US has shared, then they would be detained. Now when you entered back into the USA, those are American border agents. American border agents are all over the world. When we had a connecting flight from London through Ireland, we went through American customs at the airport in Ireland. Unless you are on a watch list, the border agents are not really too concerned with minor visa issues.

Yes, but we never returned to the US on that trip, so how do they know we didn't overstay our visa

They probably don't. They mostly keep track of it via the airlines. I am sure if they thought you were some kind of threat they would try to follow your movements. It might come up if you try to re-enter the country at a later time. You might have to show that you did leave within the time frame. But most general tourists, especially from allied Countries, are not a big issue for them. It is more of a case that if they happen to catch you then they put in the paper work. My family is all from Europe, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins. Most have come legally. A couple came on a visitor visa and never left(this was many years ago when things were really bad in the home Country). They stay out of trouble and do not fly and so they just stay. So unless you are putting yourself in the "system" they kind of let that stuff go. It is impossible to keep track of that many people.

Is the ban on simply entering the US? But now you have to, forevermore, get a visa? I got a little confused with that update.

As a U.K. citizen I was able to visit the U.S. visa-free under the Visa Waiver Program which allows 90 days in the U.S.

Overstaying even one day over that 90 days (without an excellent reason for doing so) means you lose VWP privileges forever, but as long as your overstay is less than 6 months then you have no ban.
Overstays longer than 6 months but under a year will receive a 3 year ban from the U.S.
Overstays of more than a year will receive a 10 year ban.

After a ban is finished then you are free to apply for a tourist visa, but after abusing your visa waiver privileges once then it takes a lot to be able to convince embassy staff that you won't abuse it again.

As a U.K. citizen I was able to visit the U.S. visa-free under the Visa Waiver Program which allows 90 days in the U.S.

Overstaying even one day over that 90 days (without an excellent reason for doing so) means you lose VWP privileges forever, but as long as your overstay is less than 6 months then you have no ban.
Overstays longer than 6 months but under a year will receive a 3 year ban from the U.S.
Overstays of more than a year will receive a 10 year ban.

After a ban is finished then you are free to apply for a tourist visa, but after abusing your visa waiver privileges once then it takes a lot to be able to convince embassy staff that you won't abuse it again.

It is possible that traveling on a cruise that is Canada to Canada visiting Alaska may have a better chance than a "normal" trip to the US: you start and end outside the US. You are only going to specific US ports, and if you don't come back to the ship your absence would be immediately known and reported to authorities. And if you if you have a job and family and home at home incentives to return home. Are they able to issue a visa that is very very specific for time and place/event ?

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter