• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska excursion companies

Duckbug.Ducktales

Listening to the music to Fantasmic!
Hi all, we have an Alaskan cruise coming up and want to circumvent RCCL's markups by booking directly with the local excursion companies. What are some you have used and liked? I know we'll have to make sure the timing works right with the cruise stops.

For reference our stops are Sitka, Dawes Glacier/Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan

Thanks!

Sitka - Sitka Tours or you can use the local transport system the RIDE which has stops at the NHP, and Bear and Raptor Centers

Juneau - Adventures in Alaska for fishing or whale watching. You can also book the round-trip shuttle to Mendenhall one you arrive in town

Ketchikan - Sea Wind Aviation for float plane tours. If interested in the Crab Boat tour you can book directly with them and it saves a little over the cruise tour

Another vote for Chilkoot Charters for bus/train in Skagway and Rum Runners for whale watching in Juneau! In Ketchikan we used Southeast Sea Kayaks to go kayaking and had a great time!

Juneau - Alaska Tales for whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier stop

Skagway - DIY Jeep Tours. Rented our own vehicle and spent the day driving. Skagway is incredibly easy to get around. Usually you should be able to drive up into Canada, but we unfortunately couldn't due to COVID. But we made it to the "Welcome to Alaska" sign, the Gold Rush Cemetery, a really neat walking/trail system, and all over the town!

Ketchikan - we booked Baranof Fishing for DH, but it was cancelled due to weather. However, they had a huge marina right in port so I assume they are well-known and trustworthy.

Any 3rd party tour recs for Icy Strait Point?

I don't think there are a ton of third party tour operators, the port is quite small (very pretty though!) But apparently it's the best place go whale watching! If I had known, I would have done it there over Juneau.

In Ketchikan we've done seaplanes with Island Wings 3x (twice to - successfully - see bears at Anan Creek and Traitor's Cove - and once Misty Fjord Sightseeing). Awesome company and excursions.

In Juneau we went whale-watching twice and did a Pilot's Choice double glacier landing with Temsco Helicopters. Very cool to walk on the glaciers. We've also gone up the Tramway which provides great views over the town and beyond. We stopped at Red Dog Saloon for lunch.

In Sitka we walked around on our own and went to the Raptor Center, Sitka National Historical Park/Totem Park, St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral, and had a reindeer hot dog.

In Skagway we did the dog-sledding/glacier excursion with Temsco Helicopters and twice we rented a car and using Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway drove to Emerald Lake. (Google for the guide which lists things to see/do by mile marker. Some of the places we stopped at along the way - Tutshi to see the Sled Dogs(puppies), Yukon Suspension Bridge, and the Welcome to Alaska highway sign.) Be sure to bring a passport for when you cross into Canada.

We always had an amazing time and had time to walk through the town (Ketchikan has totem poles and Creek Street, Juneau has the tram for great views, etc.) - and there's plenty of shopping although most stores in each port and from port to port are very similar.

We booked everything on our own - nothing through the cruise line. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast!

In Ketchikan we've done seaplanes with Island Wings 3x (twice to - successfully - see bears at Anan Creek and Traitor's Cove - and once Misty Fjord Sightseeing). Awesome company and excursions.

In Juneau we went whale-watching twice and did a Pilot's Choice double glacier landing with Temsco Helicopters. Very cool to walk on the glaciers. We've also gone up the Tramway which provides great views over the town and beyond. We stopped at Red Dog Saloon for lunch.

In Sitka we walked around on our own and went to the Raptor Center, Sitka National Historical Park/Totem Park, St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral, and had a reindeer hot dog.

In Skagway we did the dog-sledding/glacier excursion with Temsco Helicopters and twice we rented a car and using Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway drove to Emerald Lake. (Google for the guide which lists things to see/do by mile marker. Some of the places we stopped at along the way - Tutshi to see the Sled Dogs(puppies), Yukon Suspension Bridge, and the Welcome to Alaska highway sign.) Be sure to bring a passport for when you cross into Canada.

We always had an amazing time and had time to walk through the town (Ketchikan has totem poles and Creek Street, Juneau has the tram for great views, etc.) - and there's plenty of shopping although most stores in each port and from port to port are very similar.

We booked everything on our own - nothing through the cruise line. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast!
Did you have to pay to see the puppies? Or do you have info on where you stopped? We have a rental car booked but I can't find any info on stopping to see puppies without an excursion so I've been thinking of canceling it since my daughter wants the puppies!

we used temsco as well for the pilots choice. Glad we did it was the only flights to take off that day since they could go to what ever area was free of fog.

Did you have to pay to see the puppies? Or do you have info on where you stopped? We have a rental car booked but I can't find any info on stopping to see puppies without an excursion so I've been thinking of canceling it since my daughter wants the puppies!

We rented a Jeep at stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog Tours just to hold the puppies. I think it was $5 per person, and this was in 2018. We got off the ship first thing, got the Jeep, and got there as fast as we could (no scenic stops - did those on the way back) and we were some of the first people there, before the tour buses. This gave us plenty of time with the puppies with no crowds.

https://tagishlakekennel.com/tutshi-sled-dog-summer-tours/

I just want to sing the praises of Chilkoot Charters in Skagway quickly. We were booked on their Yukon Bus/Rail tour. When the White Pass Railroad canceled the train into Canada they were quick to reach out, offer alternatives & refunds, answer questions, rebook us and refund us for the cost difference of the bus-only tour. I am really looking forward to touring with them. They are on top of things and a pleasure to work with!

We rented a Jeep at stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog Tours just to hold the puppies. I think it was $5 per person, and this was in 2018. We got off the ship first thing, got the Jeep, and got there as fast as we could (no scenic stops - did those on the way back) and we were some of the first people there, before the tour buses. This gave us plenty of time with the puppies with no crowds.

https://tagishlakekennel.com/tutshi-sled-dog-summer-tours/
Thank you! I've seriously looked everywhere and all Google brings up are the tour companies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter