Alaska excursions while kids are in kids club

disbendorf

Earning My Ears
We are doing the alaska cruise on 6/7, and have two kids ages 6 and 4. We were thinking of doing some excursions with them and some without. I know this is a personal decision, but do you think it is ok for them to be in the kids club while DH and I are off on an excursion. It makes be a little nervous to think that they may need us for something and will not be able to get ahold of us. Any input is much appreciated. We have not booked any excursions yet. We have until next month to decide what we are doing. Also, if anyone knows what excursions are good for kids this age please let me know. Thanks so much.

If your kids are anything like my DD(5), they will love the club and not want to leave for some silly excursion! I will say that I have concerns about leaving my daughter on ship while I go on an excursion. I would probably not do a non-DCL excursion, so I had more assurance of making it to the ship on time and DCL knew where I was in case of emergency.

My mom and I did the Med last year with my then-4-year-old and we did get off in Corsica and wonder around while she stayed in the club. We were gone maybe 1.5 hours and she was totally fine. I probably would be uncomfortable going off all day, but I also think it depends on the kids and their personalities.

We're also doing Alaska this year. My daughter and I are doing a Skagway excursion that goes to the Yukon, sees Emerald Lake, rides the White Pass rail and includes summer dog sledding through a non-DCL company. In Juneau, we're doing Whale Watching and Mendenhall and hopefully, gold panning. In Ketchikan, we're doing the totems and Potlatch Park and the Disney Lumberjack Show. I think there are a lot of options for that age to enjoy as a family, but I have no problem with parents wanting to do something without the kids along. It isn't too different than leaving them in daycare, really. Maybe see how they do and then book onboard?

If your kids are anything like my DD(5), they will love the club and not want to leave for some silly excursion! I will say that I have concerns about leaving my daughter on ship while I go on an excursion. I would probably not do a non-DCL excursion, so I had more assurance of making it to the ship on time and DCL knew where I was in case of emergency.

My mom and I did the Med last year with my then-4-year-old and we did get off in Corsica and wonder around while she stayed in the club. We were gone maybe 1.5 hours and she was totally fine. I probably would be uncomfortable going off all day, but I also think it depends on the kids and their personalities.

We're also doing Alaska this year. My daughter and I are doing a Skagway excursion that goes to the Yukon, sees Emerald Lake, rides the White Pass rail and includes summer dog sledding through a non-DCL company. In Juneau, we're doing Whale Watching and Mendenhall and hopefully, gold panning. In Ketchikan, we're doing the totems and Potlatch Park and the Disney Lumberjack Show. I think there are a lot of options for that age to enjoy as a family, but I have no problem with parents wanting to do something without the kids along. It isn't too different than leaving them in daycare, really. Maybe see how they do and then book onboard?

What excursion are you doing in Skagway? Do you have a link to company? :goodvibes

We are also sailing to Alaska; my younges is 4, will turn 5 just before we set sail. We are doing the White Pass RR and Musher Camp in Skagway. We are going Whale Watching and to the Mendenhall Glacier in Junea. In Ketchikan THE ADULTS are going flightseeing and the kids will stay on the ship/in kids clubs.

If you are comfortable leaving your kids, go for it. Many people on the boards are opposed to it- and that is fine also, they can simply keep their kids with them. Everyone should do whatever they are comfortable with. And I personally, am comfortable leaving my kids on board.

We are also sailing to Alaska; my younges is 4, will turn 5 just before we set sail. We are doing the White Pass RR and Musher Camp in Skagway. We are going Whale Watching and to the Mendenhall Glacier in Junea. In Ketchikan THE ADULTS are going flightseeing and the kids will stay on the ship/in kids clubs.

If you are comfortable leaving your kids, go for it. Many people on the boards are opposed to it- and that is fine also, they can simply keep their kids with them. Everyone should do whatever they are comfortable with. And I personally, am comfortable leaving my kids on board.

I just wanted to add that when we cruised to Alaska...different cruise line..we couldnt wait for DCL..lol..anyway while we were in port at Skagway...DD4 wanted to go to the kids club...and it was non Disney...we didnt have an excursion....but we felt comfortable enough with her there...she got one on one attention:)
ANd..Mendenhall Glacier...awesome! We got some great photos there...loved the waterfall.....just amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter