• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Glacier excursion and Gold Castaway member

I was on the last cruise in August this last summer and we couldn't get anywhere near the glacier. There was a big chunk of ice in the water that blocked our way. It was really disappointing! The smaller boats were able to get much, much closer than the Wonder could.
I wonder if something had melted off. I guess the time of year really is subjective, especially with weather being different every year. It may not be very possible to predict, unless you look for what people say on a cruise or two before yours.

We went early June this last summer. Wonder got really close. I don’t think the ice is staying around as much anymore. The glacier the little boat went to looked like garbage. It was filthy and looked to mostly be rocks.
We went to South Sawyer glacier, and it was beautiful. I guess it's a lot of luck which one they can get up to and when. It also depends on if there are seals having babies.

We booked when we were Silver and my Mom booked it and it was her first ever cruise. But we were also on the first cruise of the season. But such an awesome trip.

Attachments

• IMG_8041.JPG
    IMG_8041.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi there,

We're looking at Alaska for 2025. Part of me is really thinking we're going to do Disney for this cruise. While we did a RC cruise recently and had fun, we felt like something was missing. That being said, we're looking at the excursions and seeing about how much we would spend on them. So I'm curious about the glacier boat excursion. Is this one that is hard to get unless you're Platinum? Or have all levels booked it?

Thanks so much!
I went this past September (2023) on the last cruise of the season, there were bookings available right up until the day before we left for the Glacier Explorer.
I'm glad I never did it, the Wonder got as close as the explorer did, we were right up on that glacier it was AMAZING!

I am sure the people on the explorer had a great time, but we got the exact same view for free.IMG_1540.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter