• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska in May

tlprice

DIS Veteran
I'm looking at booking the 2019 May 27 Alaska cruise. The Alaska May cruises seem to be least expensive and we will be out of school in time for this one. Can anybody tell me about their experiences with weather and temperatures on May Alaska cruises? I'm just afraid we might be freezing to death.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link @Shanti ! We want to go in May to save costs because it will be before our little one turns 3 too. But it's nice to have a chance to read someone's report from that time last year.

I'm looking at booking the 2019 May 27 Alaska cruise. The Alaska May cruises seem to be least expensive and we will be out of school in time for this one. Can anybody tell me about their experiences with weather and temperatures on May Alaska cruises? I'm just afraid we might be freezing to death.

Hi! May is typically quite nice. Most of Southeast Alaska is in a temperate rainforest, so May can be drizzly. But certainly not freezing. Dress in layers, bring a light jacket and you should be fine. I live in Skagway and looked back to photos from May of this year and it was beautiful. I tried to upload some photos to show you, but it keeps giving me an error message. There will not be snow in town, but there will be at the summit and on the pass. So if you do the train, or any type of bus tour going up the highway, there will still be snow on the ground and the air will be cooler. But not winter weather. Just remember you’re coming to Alaska. If you’re expecting hot summer weather, you’re going to be disappointed. But we make up for the cooler summers with spectacular scenery. I think you’ll love it.

Hi! May is typically quite nice. Most of Southeast Alaska is in a temperate rainforest, so May can be drizzly. But certainly not freezing. Dress in layers, bring a light jacket and you should be fine. I live in Skagway and looked back to photos from May of this year and it was beautiful. I tried to upload some photos to show you, but it keeps giving me an error message. There will not be snow in town, but there will be at the summit and on the pass. So if you do the train, or any type of bus tour going up the highway, there will still be snow on the ground and the air will be cooler. But not winter weather. Just remember you’re coming to Alaska. If you’re expecting hot summer weather, you’re going to be disappointed. But we make up for the cooler summers with spectacular scenery. I think you’ll love it.
Thank you. My daughter really wants to do this cruise so it sounds like it might be a go.

When we cruised Alaska in May a few years ago we did have some cold rain, but we were told the cruise before ours had hot summery weather.

Sorry to hijack your thread... we are planning may 2019. Will we see snow??? *fingers crossed as never seen snow*

We went in late May and while it was chilly, only a couple of hours could have been classified as “cold.” Not like ski resort cold, lol, but more like “need next level above a rain jacket” cold. I would absolutely cruise in May again!

Our cruise to Alaska was at the end of May (Trip Report below). We were fortunate to have wonderful weather. I'd say the temps were in the 50's to 60's, but comfortable. It didn't even rain in Ketchikan when we were there. The secret is to layer your clothes.

I was on Disney’s first Alaska cruise. May 3 2011. Weather was nice you won’t be freezing and your going later in the month.

We traveled on the first cruise in May (third week in May, ended on Memorial day) and had the best weather Alaska had seen so far that year (according to locals). Every port was sunny, and to a point almost to warm! We hit 70f! Glad we did like our Captain said. Dress like onion- in layers. We loved our May cruise, would do the exact same date in a heart beat. We saw lots of Ice and glacier activity, baby seals, bald eagles, and yes even bears. There is no Salmon run that time of year, so your bear sightings are not attached to that, but otherwise May was great. Our ship wasn't even at capacity due to many families still being in school. Also got lower airfare cause of this.

Thank you. I read the whole thing and it looked like they had great weather.

Mostly great! Skagway was very windy, so it felt colder than it probably was, temperature-wise. That's when we were down in the town. Of course, it was cold when we were out snowshoeing. Though, there wasn't full snow cover even up at the Pass.
Glacier Day was chilly and windy as well, but in a good way.
The rest of the cruise we had remarkably good weather. (actually, none of it was BAD, just a couple of days colder than the others)

We expected to be cold (and expected rain, knowing SE Alaska), and packed accordingly. That way, on the nice days, it was a pleasant surprise. I used to do some contract work in Ketchikan-- I learned that rain is 'normal' and you really learn to appreciate a sunny day when you spend time up there.

We cruised the first week of June in 2011 - It was chilly, probably highs in the upper 50s. Dress in Layers - fleece jackets, maybe a hat. The only time I really bundled up was Tracy Arm day, when the ship was moving and we were out on the deck the whole time. I get cold really easily so was sporting jacket, hat and gloves, but DH was fine with just a fleece jacket.

Sorry to hijack your thread... we are planning may 2019. Will we see snow??? *fingers crossed as never seen snow*

The best place we found to see snow was by going up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver.
qmkPHp9H6XuKiFcMCB8rNiSciJOeOqHHMSzorKHS_KFwiY02skTGe0GkWDGXXgF-EsE0YbLaa3ZsRzDm20iGLtzDgEy_sK4Zqrfqo9LvXFv79w2d5rhaPK0BKoEbodIO_Uv0zPVvWdTvLujkOhqFZZ53R7bwc24tZHGiHDKDWi13OP1YdBIYCf9wXAdwHhP0ZW6-BiMoqII7R7ywBHARc0j2o-BwnxAjKT_Y1pqdcdKmFJlrUM_-Ju1J0CeR-rRuta0Pvr-eOAwUz5ZzxPoYlH-MKMf2K2c3_6xaqNuzyl8t7lHHZFkL08qK6gtxlaf16iloflwGd4sbslPsi6XZCyJ_3VaKclGGnVrKwrHzRb-POUzupzSVRg01ukmZhV30cmXEhYrBC5weEt7nk5ENpBkrLQywFJvbsHVWmwNk9wI1vY_Tb3mt4tSXNArOAuow2Y7PYn5ZRD5euI_H7zBFPLI6ib-QnSCeE5nfcGWFWCxaloXKIxFR-MCTZl92z2V6YaRUZQUsvffjd-ZSsfcrfM3t--9u6Ig4ff5WTPA_qCQWxFOY0U4XGazZIQ6vSG_WakXXiC7JxtU4Lqa0j6vZDu4DUOVNFTDuZ8GEf90=w1024-h768-no

For a real experience, do the Eye of the Wind. You go to the top of the Mountain and go up to an observation deck inside a wind turbine. The view is spectacular.

LpTOtEknTPGud2gNnA9DfmxHbu9Z07pPB8sZEWP6Xs-t6WFXUD20tD1Slmt0Z1-37inrHzk8eDH_9k3EpDL8F8m5dOtK2Z0rTitf6IYfA4rSsomWrOlmhT9lCT7e6IKmByUGRwgy1d1fotYC2gkC6tbHT3FARO3aqCN7J29jwiOdSCi-rrvl73XVeAJNNp59AMkJ6roMCPNjexouU_dkYOif-Gp4B-Y7YlSxfiL4TrBBNgTCmQPRZkjqHAXnYMeSiGEisc93KsXQne3lSdhT0gPhYzQj06LPQRltmhg7iCNWYMKJLJOJmEmW_WZBv5yOYt7_QZDIbd6VAQSZPurub00nvHLuxgdg0u2eySbuLrDd6LI74oMntW48-gSXcy_QaQ5ALUyqKbM-jNaRoj81Hf-w1HqDck4hmRyxidrGlBF5ImzktuIMrBRVdITC1kQXc75vQ6BVKdUdjCMOy7PJfflpJsPKTHa7Js4RhGqvzkrjsA1alMhM38xkv-KYkaVBprUKyZwpeNXVGR_kxPaJApW-TKDUdWxsayL-FEVPZ1DhGWoAW_sFJJUX7q09l8xIMYfCQqSLvMZ9gGf8tM7glTPmyb1ZI2TbY61GAKd-ybjYxBxkDaid2WNpHg6U8Spw=w656-h929-no

GIgKPF47NDyTpX3_eNesI3Iu2XG3VNc0sCT7qIN969JVo9qb-esUHjLY0XoOxqyo190er11l45nDFiq9LBqqdsHyvtVtxbkDnh1A2ZsPGnymy-IndVGKCofDXS9-gt8lwxAFFA08YMoxWWX_e2THrkR_K-2Qbk0TzA5EqXaBHI3CJf-2ubioKaSp2JpRh7UeJ4T0UO_K95PUC7Q4jN6NMC8ekKVBO_nkGLGD4WUvY0cv37hn029-Q45_7ryksbTd6Wzgvd_WEd_TEIyqP1gydV4QzYNQBTx5dSJWyWm6kgQSC8TbXXfPejVfjAhCcmVkaVjMh7Z3qevUN2royDjaUqccANR29foSVwXuG0SdcrkdIbCFsWnD5qmr9PJdSMFdBktv_h4e5jFCYyJ32qcQcpRzwJf_5E48aiT1oyIMvFuooYHXSg8qpcwU334Bb9XgpRyRIwzk6xlfRJLHXOqW-nziCSSYWE8RF3L4sDnmz1ct2aBIh68EqBenlhd1hwbebgi9lkG4MfL-W9S7dOcDOzJzsGxW4KD_VQPXVfLJ1-6cJAIgmAkyfqeplQceC0Ff6CuYXaZLHsiYfsumhknAAVjKDzwARJuliNKR974=w1024-h735-no

We sailed in May 30th 2016. Definitely you'll see snow, from the peaks, and when you get close to the glaciers. In May, Tracy Arm may be too icy to get in and you may end up in Endicott Arm. We saw lots of small pieces of ice floating and even the occasional seal resting on top.

Lots of excursions at all ports you can take. Some would fly you in a helicopter and drop you on a glacier where you can do a dog sled run, but these can be expensive. A more affordable option would be to go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.

And sometimes you don't even need to get off the ship to 'touch' a glacier. They bring in a little one on onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter