Alaskan Cruise Questions

shanfam

Earning My Ears
Previous Family Alaskan Cruisers:
1. What do you feel is the best age for a child going on an Alaskan cruise?
2. What side of the ship has the best views? Port? Starboard? Aft?
3. When are the 2017 sail dates being released? If this would be your 3rd cruise can you book earlier?
Thanks in advance

3. When are the 2017 sail dates being released? If this would be your 3rd cruise can you book earlier?
Thanks in advance
1. As long as the child is able to appreciate the beauty of Alaska, it's up to you, as you know your child best. Although doing Alaska on Disney does afford more kid-friendly activities than some other lines.
2. As the cruise is round trip, what one side sees on the way out, the other will see on the trip back.
3. Speculation for summer 2017 being released is MAYBE next week. But I don't know for sure. Early booking (1 day early) is for Gold and Platinum Castaway Club members, so no, not early booking for you.

Thanks in advance

We did Alaska on DCl in May 2014. Kids were 14, 11, and 9. They all have said this was their favorite vacation we've ever done. We've done WDW multiple times, DL, and DCL cruises to both western and eastern Caribbean. For all of us Alaska was our favorite and they place we want to go back to! I will say my older two appreciated the scenery more than my 9 year old. He met a friend and while on board they were together a lot while the older 2 spent a lot of time on the verandah with the binoculars. My 9 year old and his friend spent Tracy Arm day in the pool watching the scenery from the sides and the big screen! If this were my only trip ever to Alaska and I wanted my child to really appreciate the beauty of it I don't think I'd go much younger than that, but if I just wanted to know my kid would have a good time then younger would be fine.

As for the side the PP is right you face one way on the way up and the other way on the way back so it really doesn't matter.

We are also thinking of an Alaskan vacation. We just got off the Fantasy 7-day western caribbean cruise and put in a placeholder for a 2nd trip. Like to book as soon as cruise dates come out so need to make this decision soon. Can someone that has done alaskan and caribbean trip compare the two trips? Is it too cold to enjoy the outside activities on the boat?

We went on an Alaskan cruise in 2012 on HAL mostly because the Disney cruise didn't go to Glacier Bay and in laws didn't want to have to go out of Vancouver. My daughter turned 2 while on board and my son was 12- we had an awesome time and would do it again in a heartbeat ( but prob not on HAL)

We sailed last year when our boys were 14 & 11. We had a great time. My favorite of our 6 cruises.

I agree with others that Alaska (if a once maybe twice ever type of trip) is best for kids who able to be out and about and partake in the excursions. There are many great things to see, dog sled farms, kyacking, sea planes, whale tours. So a little bit older could be more advantageous since the excursions are amazing. To be fair we sailed Alaska on another cruiseline, Disney was too expensive for us. We had a great time.

We are also thinking of an Alaskan vacation. We just got off the Fantasy 7-day western caribbean cruise and put in a placeholder for a 2nd trip. Like to book as soon as cruise dates come out so need to make this decision soon. Can someone that has done alaskan and caribbean trip compare the two trips? Is it too cold to enjoy the outside activities on the boat?
We just got off the Fantasy too! March 19-27!

1. We are going this Alaskan cruise with a two year old. But I first visited cousins in Alaska when I was 8 and absolutely loved it. My memories of Alaska as a child were so special, we went clamming, saw moose, hiked and I caught my first fish. My first Alaskan cruise was when I was 20 and this years will be my fourth. So my vote goes for 8 and up.
2. Starboard. But I am biased and prone to habit. We went on HAL 3 years ago and would sit on the starboard deck with our books and binoculars. It was a weird year, we saw so many whales, at least 10. On the way out to Alaska I always like to sit on the deck facing the mainland.

Our children were 7 and 4 on out Alaska cruise. The 7 year old loved it and still remembers whale watching and touching pieces of the Mendenhall Glacier. I personally think 4 was too young but that was back in the day of the Kids-Sail-Free promotion so we couldn't pass that up!

2. What side of the ship has the best views? Port? Starboard? Aft.

We were starboard and had some great views heading north. Honestly, I think it doesn't make a huge difference since there is coastline on both sides. Personally, I am not a fan of the aft rooms because of vibration- but that's only my personal preference.

Maybe next week? Hopefully... And unfortunately, no. You cannot book earlier than the general public.
Thanks in advance

Do you feel the 11 year old enjoyed it or that you should have waited a few years?

I'm not the poster you asked, but I took my 11 year old on an Alaskan cruise on HAL and she had an AMAZING time. We went r/t out of Vancouver, she truly enjoyed all of the scenery, wildlife, and loved that she could go around the ship on her own at times.

We went last year with a 13, 11 and 6 year old. Best cruise ever and everyone wants to go again! I felt the ages were perfect for our family and Disney was great with all the activities onboard to keep everyone entertained. I know my 6 year old won't remember it all but he was a great age for all the activities. We did whale watching, dog sledding (on dirt, not snow) and a float plane. We also flew in to Seattle and took the train to Vancouver and then spent 3 days in Vancouver. That was just as fun as the cruise according to the kids. I'm glad we did the trip and don't regret not waiting for them to be older.

We're going to Alaska this summer--my youngest DD will be 12. We started taking the kids on National Park trips when my youngest was 8. 8 was when I felt she would be safe enough for Yellowstone. We did the national parks in WY and SD. She talked about the Yellowstone trip for a couple of years, I'm pretty sure she still remembers that trip, especially when she sees pictures from it. We did the national parks of UT and AZ when she was 10. I really feel that any child over 8 will remember some of the trip--especially if you take lots of pictures and look at them with the child over the years. I made Shutterfly photobooks from both those trips--so it's easy enough to look through at any time.

Enjoy!

We are also on the way there this summer and my DD will be 8. She picked this trip this time last year (when she was 6). That's right, SHE selected our destination. We gave her several choices and showed her photos and videos online and she decided Alaska is where she wanted to travel next (other selections including Caribbean cruise, Walt Disney World, and Aulani). So while I can't tell you what she thought of it (yet) I can tell you that she is super excited and it was her choice to go. So I think the best age is the age at which your kids express interest! :)

I'm going to vote port side.... I had a starboard cabin in August 2013.
  • The port side got something like 3 times the Sawyer exposure compared to starboard. Others may experience the opposite.
  • The port side gets some great views in Ketchikan. Starboard will give you privacy.
  • The Wonder docks on the starboard side in major ports due to guest services layout. In Vancouver, starboard passengers lose privacy as an elevated public walkway is 20 feet from your balcony. Please keep your curtains closed for privacy from the camera happy public. Deck 2 oceanviews find themselves looking at the dock pilings.

I am thinking about Alaska ... We are all Platinum now ... My youngest son will be 11 next year and graduates from Elementary school. I thought about this cruise for end of June beginning of July or during the summer ??? But they have not released any dates for 2017. We have taken so many Caribbean cruises on DCL - loved them all but want to to do something different. I prefer the smaller ships! It is either Alaska or Aulani and I think my the cruise just is a better fit ... I have two older children -- 17 and 19 and I think they will all love Alaska --plus I want to get there before it melts ! or completely freezes over!! Any suggestions? Is it really super expensive compared to Caribbean ... I have been on the Dream, the Fantasy for New Year's eve cruises and honestly the costs was not worth it.

Is it really super expensive compared to Caribbean ...
There's a few strategies to save money...
  • consider Deck 2 oceanview instead of balcony
  • think about staying a few blocks away from cruise terminal for significant savings on pre/post-cruise. Especially for multi-day stays.
  • The Canadian currency is currently collapsed against the US dollar. May want to look at a 2016 sailing for added savings.
  • Marine and Flight excursions are priced higher than land excursions
  • plan to be in the Vancouver on July 1st evening.... the cruise terminal has a free fireworks show.

This was not my favorite cruise to be honest. We went in May and it was too cold to do any outside activities so everyone in the ship crowed for inside areas. In addition, there were very few children on the boat for my daughter and my husband and I were the only ones in the clubs. The scenery is amazing, but the cruise was very different than a normal cruise!

We went last year with a 13, 11 and 6 year old. Best cruise ever and everyone wants to go again! I felt the ages were perfect for our family and Disney was great with all the activities onboard to keep everyone entertained. I know my 6 year old won't remember it all but he was a great age for all the activities. We did whale watching, dog sledding (on dirt, not snow) and a float plane. We also flew in to Seattle and took the train to Vancouver and then spent 3 days in Vancouver. That was just as fun as the cruise according to the kids. I'm glad we did the trip and don't regret not waiting for them to be older.
Tell me more about the train ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter