Album of the Year

I used to spend so much time in my teens at music stores listening to the new cd releases to make sure it was worth my $20-$30 dollars to buy the album. I used to love the Virgin mega store at DS. It’s mind boggling though that I pay less now a month for all of my family to listen to essentially any artist, album or song they want than it was to buy a single CD in my youth. Very few things have gotten cheaper over the years, but how we are able to consume music has. The artists I believe make less which is why they tour more and all have merch stores online.

Jay-Z is ridiculous and this just proves it even more. Beyonce is overrated, to begin with, but it is like he didn't understand the difference in awards.

I have not bought a CD in a long time, but I do typically stream a whole album if I find a song I love...just to listen to the rest of their work. My favorite album of all time is probably Metallica, the Black Album. I do listen to Train's :Save Me San Francisco" way more than most people, too, though.

Back in the Columbia House days we had a few clunkers bought after only knowing one song. Not since the days of Napster/Limewire/etc., though.
I do still buy CDs on occasion. I like to have one in my car in case there's nothing good on the radio. I don't do streaming.

Here are some songs that were recorded as and intended as filler but became hits.

Paranoid. Black Sabbath.
Smoke on the Water Deep Purple.
The boys are back in town. Thin Lizzie.
Starman. David Bowie
And one for Angie. Superman REM. This is a cover song. Michael Stipe hated it so much he made Mike Mills sing it. It wasn't even listed as a track on the Album. Life's Rich Pageant.

But hasn't Beyonce won more Grammys than anyone else ever? Odd thing to complain about IMO.
Some categories are more important than others. Best Album is one of them. And there have been so many categories added that the total number has become rather meaningless to compare across generations. But looking at things, I don't think Beyonce has deserved best Album. Even some of her biggest fans would admit her albums are mostly filler.

Back in the Columbia House days we had a few clunkers bought after only knowing one song. Not since the days of Napster/Limewire/etc., though.
I do still buy CDs on occasion. I like to have one in my car in case there's nothing good on the radio. I don't do streaming.
BUY 12 ALBUMS FOR 1 CENT plus shipping and handling. And all you have to do is buy 6 at normal price (which was relatively high) They were always counting on the fact that you'd fail to send back the I don't want the overpriced album of the month card back in time.

From what I understand, the irony of his rant was that she wasn't even up for Album of the Year this year.
But wasn't it already nominated last year, with the loss to Harry Styles and the comment in his speech touching off a whole firestorm last year about how she was denied?

IMO Beyonce has talent, some good music and probably puts on a pretty great live show.

Judging across artists is subjective, no way around it. I wonder when you make an attempt to break it down by many objective metrics where possible how she comes out versus the competition? I believe she's lost AOTY to Taylor, Harry and Adele -- all known for being fairly involved in the songwriting of their material to varying degrees, often with collaborators. Beyonce has songwriting credits as well -- along with her daughter, and frequently well over a dozen collaborators for quite a few songs, oftentimes the biggest hits. How does/should that be reflected in the metrics on the rubric of who wins the awards?

Yes I have night an album etc got just a song or two then hopefully fell in love with the whole thing.

You know what is funny about Jayz(I do enjoy his and Beyoncé’s music) he was so upset, but yet he made sure to take his “award “.

A bigger statement since they know ahead they are getting something is to not accept the award and state why.
But instead he had his daughter up there with him to throw shade.
Money doesn’t buy you class.

But wasn't it already nominated last year, with the loss to Harry Styles and the comment in his speech touching off a whole firestorm last year about how she was denied?

IMO Beyonce has talent, some good music and probably puts on a pretty great live show.

Judging across artists is subjective, no way around it. I wonder when you make an attempt to break it down by many objective metrics where possible how she comes out versus the competition? I believe she's lost AOTY to Taylor, Harry and Adele -- all known for being fairly involved in the songwriting of their material to varying degrees, often with collaborators. Beyonce has songwriting credits as well -- along with her daughter, and frequently well over a dozen collaborators for quite a few songs, oftentimes the biggest hits. How does/should that be reflected in the metrics on the rubric of who wins the awards?
You are correct about Beyonce's loss to Harry Styles last year. I have read that the judges factor in songwriting, as well as playing an instrument on the recorded track.

I still buy whole albums from artist I really like - they throw out something new I buy it without even hearing one song BUT this is limited to only a few artist I really like and so far I have not been disappointed
My taste is all over the place
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Rolling Stones
Sting
Shaggy
Diana Krall
Michael Buble
Any above release an album I’m all in ! 👍

Not actually answering the question but y'all are making me nostalgic for going to the mall, putting on the communal headphones in The Wall and listening to all the new releases.

Jay-Z was whining at the Grammys that Beyonce never won Album of the Year. Many comments on various stories claim her albums contain one or two good songs and the rest is filler. I wouldn’t know.

Comment about that if you want but my main purpose in starting this thread is:

Did you ever buy albums based on one or two hit songs only to discover the rest is basically crap or forgettable?

If you’re not too embarrassed to admit, which albums?

Even as a kid I realized my Bobby Sherman and Partridge Family albums were mostly filler, but I was a fangirl so it was OK.

Later many of my early 80s New Wave albums were the same.

A Flock of Seagulls
Kajagoogoo
Echo and the Bunnymen
Adam and the Ants
The Human League
I agree with your premise, but disagree on a couple of your choices (Flock and Echo are both some of my favorites). I would go so far as to say that this is partially what led to the demise of the music industry then Napster came along. People were pretty pissed that they'd buy the album and then hate everything but the hit - so they stole the hit on Napster. I agree, that doesn't make it right. Blame the labels - the artists would have to sign contracts that obligated them to put out the albums, good or bad. Lou Reed fired back with his album "Metal Machine Music". The contract said he had to produce an album, the contract never said it had to be any good - so it wasn't...on purpose. Give it a listen - I dare you.

Back in the day, I remember getting the Rockwell cassette for "Somebody's Watching Me"... I still remember a couple songs from that, but the rest of it was unremarkable.

I thought this was reprehensible. What is so important that you can't show support for your fellow artists?
Not surprising.
I guess that’s them making a statement.
Honestly, it’s probably good they just go. Hopefully they won’t come back next year, or ever.

I thought this was reprehensible. What is so important that you can't show support for your fellow artists?
[ME
Maybe they should protest The uh "impact" award being named after a wife beater instead of worrying about Beyonce not getting every single award there is to get.
Yea people forget Dre slapping Dee Barnes back in the day, Michele’ made accusations and of course his wife.
Then Jayz a big old cheater on his wife wanted to “have her back” and still took the award so he can put his label cognac in it.

Staying classy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter