Alcohol Tasting Events on board

I do the whiskey tasting everytime and thoroughly enjoy it. It most likely won't be offered on the first night though

My understanding is that Disney holds some reservations out for some events to be booked on board. Try guest services as soon as you board to see if what you want is available.
We were on the Wonder in January 2017 - first cruise - and booked a bunch of tastings once board. It was our first cruise and were quite happy to get into them.

August 2018 on the Fantasy we pre-booked three and got into two more once on board.

August 2019 on the Wonder we booked a couple but didn’t get into our favourite (champagne) so we went to guest services once we boarded - around noon. They told us that they do not have any tastings for when people arrive and do not do waitlists for cancellations. However, for one of the tastings we were able to book my DH in before we boarded (last spot in the session) - they called the beverage manager where the tasting was happening and got permission to add me.

Champagne - one of our favorites
Mixology - on Fantasy was AWESOME (did this one twice on one cruise) and just ok on Wonder
Chocolate and liquor - great!
Wine - great
Whiskey - great but late at night
Mojito - really good
Martini - very strong and should not go unless you REALLY like gin
Rum - really good

With every tasting we have done there is usually one more expensive or unusual glass that we would not pay for on it’s own just to try. Each one of them has been worth it to us. The information presented has always been wonderful as well.

If I may, how much do the tastings cost? It will just be me as my parents don't drink. I'd be interested in the mixology or chocolate one. I'm also a first-timer too on the Dream over spring break. I know, my chances are probably pretty slim.

If I may, how much do the tastings cost? It will just be me as my parents don't drink. I'd be interested in the mixology or chocolate one. I'm also a first-timer too on the Dream over spring break. I know, my chances are probably pretty slim.

The prices vary but expect $25 to $30. I believe the Chocolate and Liquor is in the upper 30's though and is only offered on longer cruises

Last edited:

Beer $23
Rum $23
Amari $23
Mojito & Caipirinha $23
Tequila/Margarita $23
Martini $25
Wine $25
Mixology $25
Cognac $28
Whiskey $28
Bourbon $28
Chocolate & Liquor $37
Champagne $38
Kick Start Your Cruise Vacation $38

Last edited:
We're going to try the wine one on our upcoming cruise.

We did the rum one last time, and I agree with those that say better have eaten something before going. The information was interesting but overall it seemed quick. No real sipping and enjoying the rum, it was more like chug-a-lug, down it goes. They did bring coke to mix with the rum. Also included a Captain's Mai Tai, which is several shots of alcohol by itself. Due to the speed of drinking that much alcohol we wouldn't do the rum one again.

There are some interesting giddy pictures of my wife and I with characters afterwards while we recovered a bit before picking the kids back up from the kid's club.

DH and I have done many of them and after our next trip will have covered almost all of them between the 2 of us.

Wine, beer, Mixology, Bourbon, Whiskey, Tequila, Martini and on our up coming cruise Rum, Mojito & Caipirinha, and I will do Chocolate & Liquor. DH loves Campari so I am trying to convince him to do the Amari as well if one is available on board.

I actually had Mixology booked again this coming trip, along with Tequila but DH said we needed to cancel them since we had done both multiple times in the past and let someone else have a chance at it, so I gave it up. Hopefully we made a new cruiser very happy.

Mixology is my favorite, a wide range to try and hands on fun. Last cruise we did Mixology on day 2 around 1pm. I drank all if mine, DH gave me a couple of his he didn't care for; then the lady sitting next to DH gave me all but 1 of her drinks because she said she had fun making them but just didn't feel like drinking them. Yeah for me! I was pretty buzzed after that. Thankfully I had eaten lunch before we went otherwise they probably would have had to carry me out.

If a tasting is sold out, do people sometimes cancel before the trip or while on the trip?
We have done both. One time we canceled because we found an excursion we wanted to go on that conflicted with the tasting time - we did this before the cruise. Another time we canceled once on board because we were able to get into something else that we wanted more. Both were easily done.

We have been able to book onboard even though online the class appears to be booked. @wacowgirl I think your chances of signing up on board would be good because it's just you. I'd recommend heading to the bar where they are handling reservations as soon as you board to see what's available.

We attended the whiskey tasting on our last cruise and it was not my favorite, but mostly because there were no mixers and it was all whiskey and it was at 10:30 p.m. If I loved whiskey, it would be a completely different story. I'd note that one person talked his way into the class on the day of the class and a few people didn't show up.

We've also done the tequila tasting which was awesome, but they did have mixers and I like tequila straight. Mojitos and Caipirinhas was similarly good.

Also on our last cruise on the Fantasy, we did mixology at Meridian and Damian was awesome! We made 5 drinks and it was really a lot of fun. While the drinks were strong, we didn't have problems with the amount of alcohol--the mixers helped and, because it's a cruise, our bellies had already been full for three days by the time we got to the class so we were well prepared for the intake of alcohol. Damian also gave us recipes for the drinks.

If your cruise should have a stop in San Juan, PR, I'd recommend the mixology class at Bacardi. That was a really amazing experience with a well appointed bar set up for each participant. We learned a lot about rum and proper mixology techniques.

If a tasting is sold out, do people sometimes cancel before the trip or while on the trip?
My wife and I were booked on 2 cruises this October and for medical reasons, were unable to transfer. For both of them, we hoped to be able to make the cruise. but canceled close to the last minute. I did cancel all excursions/beverage seminars at least 3 days before the cruises. Hopefully, things will be better and we can still go on our next cruise scheduled for Feb.

It happens a lot. If you're in a FB cruise group, members often announce when they plan to cancel a class so they can coordinate the drop with another group member who wants it.

We've done: wine (twice), tequila (twice), beer, martini, mixology (twice), champagne, chocolate/liquor, whiskey, and cognac and enjoyed them all. My only problem is that I now drink some of the alcohol I never did before and, of course, I drink the expensive stuff that we tried :) For our upcoming cruise I've signed up for tastings for bourbon, rum, mojito and amari. I don't currently drink bourbon but I think I can see where this is going to go....

When checking for available reservations on embarkation, do you go to guest services or one of the bars?

I've typically found that you go to GS on the Magic but one of the bars on Dream/Fantasy. But it will be listed in the initial Navigator when you board. After the first day, you can check at GS.

We just cruised on the Wonder last week and booked very late. All of the classes were full online prior to sailing. The navigator listed to go to Azure to sign up for classes. We went there first and were able to get the mixology class we wanted. Some were sold out, but most still had a few spots. I recommend going there first when you embark. They filled up quickly.

Is it customary to tip the bar tender that is teaching the mixology class or is that part of the entry fee? There are usually more than 1 bartender. TIA :-)

Is it customary to tip the bar tender that is teaching the mixology class or is that part of the entry fee? There are usually more than 1 bartender. TIA :-)
DH and I have never tipped the bartender doing the class. However, we do go back to that bar and purchase from them, adding extra to the tab so it goes to them directly.

If my understanding is correct from discussions with cast members... the automatic tip at a bar goes to the "pool" of bartenders and is split across the board. the extra you add to your bill goes directly to the bartender that served you. DH and I spent an entire cruise at the Meridian bar because Ali did all of our tastings. So we just went there for our drinks. We ended up asking him to be creative and make us drinks with our preferred base.... DH loves bourbon, I love tequila. You will get some of the best drinks ever by letting the bartender be creative.

DH and I have never tipped the bartender doing the class. However, we do go back to that bar and purchase from them, adding extra to the tab so it goes to them directly.

If my understanding is correct from discussions with cast members... the automatic tip at a bar goes to the "pool" of bartenders and is split across the board. the extra you add to your bill goes directly to the bartender that served you. DH and I spent an entire cruise at the Meridian bar because Ali did all of our tastings. So we just went there for our drinks. We ended up asking him to be creative and make us drinks with our preferred base.... DH loves bourbon, I love tequila. You will get some of the best drinks ever by letting the bartender be creative.
This is perfect. Thank you for the response. Leave in 5 weeks. Cant wait. :-)

This is perfect. Thank you for the response. Leave in 5 weeks. Cant wait. :-)
I've always tipped the bartender at tastings (as did the people sitting on either side of me). Like any tipping matter on these boards, responses are going to vary.

Agree with what everyone else has said. I've done the following:
  • Whiskey tasting on Dream
  • Martini tasting on Fantasy
  • Rum tasting on Magic
  • Mixology on Magic
All were very good. I've booked at the last minute by checking with Guest Services, and cancelled at the last minute as well. (On one cruise, we decided that cognac at 10:30 p.m. was too late.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter