Alert - Mexico Respiratory Illness * Swine Flu Discussion *

Marcy Mouse

DIS Veteran
On the news they are warning travelers to Mexico about a virus that is causing severe respiratory distress. There have been 136 confirm cases including a few deaths. They say it is only in the interior; so far the tourist coast area haven't been affected.

I'm in Canada and it was on the new tonight, anyone else getting this news?

Marcy

On the news they are warning travelers to Mexico about a virus that is causing severe respiratory distress. There have been 136 confirm cases including a few deaths. They say it is only in the interior; so far the tourist coast area haven't been affected.

I'm in Canada and it was on the new tonight, anyone else getting this news?

Marcy

I just looked at the CDC site for Mexico travel and so far they don't say anything about it.

If it would affect tourist areas, I'm sure we'd hear about it fairly quickly.

Thanks for the heads up!

From the Associated Press...

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico City has suspended classes at schools
and universities to contain what could be a new flu strain.
Health Secretary Jose Cordova says private and public schools in
this metropolis of 20 million have been ordered to remain closed
Friday. The measure could be extended in coming days.
Cordova says the flu is a "new, different strain that can
attack anyone." He says authorities are investigating whether it
is related to a unique new form of swine flu reported in Texas and
California. All seven people in the U.S. recovered.
The government says at least 20 people have died nationwide from
the flu in the last three weeks, 13 of them in Mexico City.
The total number of cases is estimated to be more than 800.

So far, this has not been reported to be a danger in any touristic area. I am watching this VERY closely as we returned from PV last week.

I just heard about that on the news and they stated the 7 people in CA and TX may have also come down with it. They are calling it "Swine Flu".

We live in Puebla, Mexico which is 175 km south of Mexico City...so far nothing has reached our city, it seems to be mostly in the state of Mexico...kids were told at school today, that if there are confirmed reports of the flu in Puebla, school will be cancelled - but added on to the end of the school year, to their dismay:thumbsup2. So far the coastal regions, which is where most of the tourists go, have been unaffected. Will keep you posted if anything changes here.

There were 75 kids sick in a Queens, NY HS and they are investigating whether the swine flu made it to New York.

the situation in Mexico is not good....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/med_swine_flu

I am going to call DCL on Monday and find out what they say/think...I will then post...

Thanks...but based on my past with DCL in a real emergency (hurricane sailing), the CMs on the phone won't tell you anything. IF/when DCL makes any sort of decision or announcement, we will all get the official word. Until then, the CMs on the phone will officially not know anything....whether they really do know anything or not.

Thanks...but based on my past with DCL in a real emergency (hurricane sailing), the CMs on the phone won't tell you anything. IF/when DCL makes any sort of decision or announcement, we will all get the official word. Until then, the CMs on the phone will officially not know anything....whether they really do know anything or not.

point well taken- but I'm still gonna call..;)

Since some cases are already in San Diego and Texas, and none in Coastal Mexico, the threat in the immediate time seems to be greater right here in the US. Although no one in the US cases has died.

I think by all means you should call - if DCL does not know that its travelers are concerned they may not make a statement. If enough people call I would think they would say something.

I am not sure how they would let everyone know.
It would just be an change in iteniary. Nothing they do not already do for hurricane seson if they need to.
Maybe they would send us to Castawy Cay instead. :thumbsup2

Since some cases are already in San Diego and Texas, and none in Coastal Mexico, the threat in the immediate time seems to be greater right here in the US. Although no one in the US cases has died.

Have you heard what cities in Texas? Is it just by the border? We will be traveling to Texas a couple of times this month, near Dallas one week and near Houston another week.

This situation concerns me a great deal. Since 7am yesterday morning the new news stories off the AP etc, have increased the number of reported cases every hour.

As I leave on Saturday for the 7 night western. I am in no way looking forward to stopping in Cozumel. I just don't think it's worth the potential risk. Illness tends to spread on a cruise ship very fast. I don't even want to run the risk of staying on board and getting ill from the folks that get back on at days end.

I would encourage everyone traveling soon with itineraries that have stops in Mexico to phone / e-mail DCL and voice your concern. There are plenty of other ports / places to go to instead.

:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter