Alfredo's closing permanently?

ElizabethB makes some excellent points.:thumbsup2 At Alfredo's we had a chance to experience a famous Italian eatery with many Italians running and serving at the establishment. Our family dined at 'Fredo's from the time that Epcot opened to present. While we lived over 1000 miles away, we were fortunate enough for our DDs to have grown up going there. We have eaten there more times than we did many restaurants in our own home town.
I hope there will be a wonderful restaurant in the same location, but it won't have the cache of Alfredo's.:hourglass

We always enjoyed our meals at Alfredo's. And, frankly, we loved that there was some history there -- the walls in the lobby are lined with photos of movie stars from the 40's dining at the original Alfredo's in Rome. DH always enjoyed seeing the picture of Orson Wells (one of his favorite actors) dining at Alfredo's in Rome some 60 years ago. Are we the only ones who looked at the photos?

In addition, we loved the Fetuccine Alfredo (it always seemed pretty authentic -- and I appreciate the historical info from other posters). The tiramisu is great, too, and they had some interesting choices on their wine list, which we enjoyed.

IMO, 3-4 restaurants worldwide do not a "chain" make. Disney has to consider what patrons are paying for when they buy a $70 entrance fee into Epcot. They aren't paying for the opportunity to eat at a chain restaurant from their hometown. I think the issue is particularly acute at Epcot as there really isn't all that much to do at Epcot and in World Showcase other than eat and shop (how many times can you watch a 20-year-old travelogue about a country?).

If the WS restaurants start to be merely chain restaurants one can dine in at home, what really is the point?

very well said :thumbsup2

We're goibg to miss Alfredo's. On our last two trips we really enjoyed our meals there. If they ever start putting restaurants in Epcot that you can dine at in every city it will ruin Epcot. That is what is so good about all the different places to dine at Epcot.

If you are worried, why don't you book a different ADR? That's probably what I would do.

Well, I'm more worried than anyone else. The group consists of myself, 2 other adults and about 9 middle school-aged students. I am having a hard time convincing them that the quality of the food may be blech.....I was hoping to be able to give them some examples/opinions from others here (I call you all my experts!!) ...I'm only their teacher, they don't listen to me:-)lmao: ). I was trying to get them to switch to either Mama Melrose (which would be near impossible since we have dinner ressies at Primetime and lunch at Sci-fi) or better yet I'd like to try Tony's. I think in the end I might bow out of the meal and go elsewhere and let them take their chances (I've never eaten at Le Cellier and many experts here say it is wonderful!!)

I have never been to Alfredo's before and I am going for the first time on August 29th. Although I have read the mixed reviews, being a first generation Italian- American, I want to try it for myself. I was raised on good homemade Italian cooking and can cook some pretty good myself, so I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert. :rotfl2:

Just my opinion, but Olive Garden is like the Taco Bell of Italian food. :crazy2:

BTW I went to Alfred's website and although they did talk about the new restaurant coming to Vegas, they didn't say Epcot location was closing.

We went there in 07 in loved it!!!!!!! But when we got home, I was informed by my mom that it was closing. My mom is always right, but I didn't belive her. So I checked for myself and it's true.

My parents are currently at WDW. My mom was shopping at Mousegears in Epcot and mentioned to a CM that she is disappointed that Alfredo's is going to close. The CM talked to a couple other CM's and noone had heard anything about it at all. They didn't believe it.

My parents are currently at WDW. My mom was shopping at Mousegears in Epcot and mentioned to a CM that she is disappointed that Alfredo's is going to close. The CM talked to a couple other CM's and noone had heard anything about it at all. They didn't believe it.

CM's are always (well, often) the last to know, sometimes even the ones directly affected. (Of course we're not always right either.)

I think it's a real shame if the rumous are true and it's closing.

My wife and I love to go there for a late lunch and sit outside on the patio. We share a nice bottle of wine, I usually have the Fettucine Alfredo (which has always been amazing) and she has whatever she fancies.

The service has always been fantastic and the food excellent. The thing that I really like about it is that it's so quiet in the area where the patio is. It's an oasis in the middle of a place filled with thousands of people.

We will miss it a lot if it goes.

Well, I'm more worried than anyone else. The group consists of myself, 2 other adults and about 9 middle school-aged students. I am having a hard time convincing them that the quality of the food may be blech.....I was hoping to be able to give them some examples/opinions from others here (I call you all my experts!!) ...I'm only their teacher, they don't listen to me:-)lmao: ). I was trying to get them to switch to either Mama Melrose (which would be near impossible since we have dinner ressies at Primetime and lunch at Sci-fi) or better yet I'd like to try Tony's. I think in the end I might bow out of the meal and go elsewhere and let them take their chances (I've never eaten at Le Cellier and many experts here say it is wonderful!!)

My opinion: We used to LOVE Tony's, but the last couple of years the food has been disgusting. Mama Melrose is just ok. We've NEVER had a bad meal or bad service at Alfredos since it opened. We will miss it.

I have never been to Alfredo's before and I am going for the first time on August 29th. Although I have read the mixed reviews, being a first generation Italian- American, I want to try it for myself. I was raised on good homemade Italian cooking and can cook some pretty good myself, so I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert. :rotfl2:

Just my opinion, but Olive Garden is like the Taco Bell of Italian food. :crazy2:

BTW I went to Alfred's website and although they did talk about the new restaurant coming to Vegas, they didn't say Epcot location was closing.

I am also Italian-American and I've always enjoyed Alfredos. The authentic Italian cooking can sometimes turn people off because they are used to "Americanized" versions of things. There's nothing wrong with that - people have different tastes.

I totally agree about Olive Garden...YIKES!!!

We ate there on Fri 3/2, the place was packed!! We had a 6:45pm ADR. We checked in At 6:25 and were sat around 7pm, the longest we have ever waited with an ADR. We are not complaining, just merely using this timing as a vice for you to gauge just how busy they were. The crowds overall at WDW were incredibly light, so for this type of business volume we were surprised.

There does not seem to be any evidence that the rumour is true, and of course we only got a funny look and a laugh when we brought it up. So the CM's are not speaking about it if it is true.

It is possible we may see a name change, but the restaurant will still exist. Just a theory we have. We can not imagine Disney destroying a gold mine such as this place. Take our observations and investigations for what it is worth, but IMHO I'd be very surprised to see this rumour come to life.

Allears says:

L'Originale Alfredo di Roma to Close August 31, 2007!

Disney's contract with L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante ends August 31, 2007. Disney is currently working on plans to develop a new Italian restaurant for World Showcase's Italy pavilion. No further details are yet available.

I think I said it, but I'll say it again...the reservationist at WDW-DINE confimed that it is not a rumor but truth, as did my server. They did, however, want to know where I heard it as they didn't think it was public.

Alfredo's will close August 2007. The new place (yes, there will be another restaurant there) will still have Italian CM's, the new place is expected to participate in DDP and current CM's will be offered another position depending on their work agreement.

I know ya'll will want a source so I'm going to go look around for it again and will come back to edit when I have it for you.

EDIT - Links provided at the end. According to a source at Intercot, this was the memo that went to CM's to answer guest questions...

Exciting new changes are coming to the Italy Pavilion at Epcot that will further enhance the Guest experience.

Our contract with L’Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will reach its conclusion on August 31, 2007. While we have enjoyed working with the Alfredo’s Group since Epcot opened, we are finalizing plans to develop a new Italian restaurant concept.

This builds upon the original vision for World Showcase, which was designed to continually evolve and offer new Guest experiences that showcase cultures, traditions and immersive entertainment from around the world.

We look forward to announcing more details in true Disney fashion once all the particulars are finalized.

FAQ's
Q1.Why are you making this change?

We have an opportunity to further enhance the Guest experience and build upon the original vision for World Showcase, which was designed to continually evolve and showcase cultures, traditions and immersive entertainment from around the world.

Q2.Why after so many years?

Although it has been a privilege to be the home to Alfredo’s Restaurant for more than 20 years, Epcot is transitioning to a new Italian dining experience where Italy’s rich history and vibrant culture will continue to enrich the Guest experience.

Q3.When will Alfredo’s close?

Alfredo’s is currently scheduled to close at the end of August 2007.

Q4.When will the new restaurant open?

Although details are still coming together, we expect the restaurant to close temporarily during the transition process.

Q5.What is coming in its place?

While we are not ready to announce this new restaurant, we are currently finalizing negotiations with a strategic partner. We look forward to sharing more details once they are finalized.

Q6.Will this change impact the Food & Wine Festival?

No. Everything will operate as normal for this year’s International Food & Wine Festival.

Q7.What will happen to the existing employees?

All affected employees will be presented with options, which will vary based on their current job function and individual set of circumstances.

Q8.What if a Guest already has a reservation booked for the restaurant (that occurs after its last day of operations); what should they do?

As of this time, there are no dining reservations booked that will be impacted by this change.

Q9.Has Alfredo’s Restaurant relocated in the local area?

While Alfredo’s has an established restaurant in New York City, we have not received any information about a venue in the Central Florida area.

Q10.Will the new Italian dining experience be a part of the Magic Your Way dining plan?

Yes, we expect the new Italian dining experience will participate in the Magic Your Way dining plan.

Q11.Will the new Italian dining experience continue to have Cultural Representatives from Italy to lend to a truly genuine Italian experience?

Yes.

Q12.Will this change impact any other venues within the Italy Pavilion or World Showcase?

No.

Source:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=97666

If you do a search for Alfredo EPCOT closing, there will be a lot of links as well.

:(

stargrazer:
Our contract with L’Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will reach its conclusion on August 31, 2007. While we have enjoyed working with the Alfredo’s Group since Epcot opened, we are finalizing plans to develop a new Italian restaurant concept.

cplofdisneynutz:
It is possible we may see a name change, but the restaurant will still exist. Just a theory we have

Thank you this proves our theory, we had a feeling it had something to do with the company name-sake (alfredo group) and contracts. Thanks!!:goodvibes

so....to book or to avoid

We are going mid-August and were thinking of switching an ADR to Alfredos. Now we are worried that if the wait staff was lesss than reliable before, they will be even more so on the verge of a shut down / conversion. We'd hate to miss the only chance we'll have of eating there, but don't want to set ourselves up for a disappointing experience.

Right now we are booked into Nine Dragons...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter