All About Fixed Weeks (RIV/CCV/AUL/VGF/POLY Charts)

Personally, I would get a more desirable fixed week so it’s easier to seller should you ever need to go down that route. Unless you are looking for a FW in a tower studio (do they even sell those?), I should think it will be relatively easy to book in August for the time being, and you will save some points every year by opting out of your fixed week. If you get a December FW I think the points chart will be similar to August…

Curious to hear others thoughts on this one: I've decided to buy ~150 pt direct at Riv and to make it a FW. In the near-term, we'll be using these points exclusively for our August trips.

While we do go the same week in August YoY, is buying it for that week (which is the point of a FW) a waste vs. buying a more in demand week/using the points for August (but having a more desired hedge if I ever had to sell).

I have talked myself into/out of both scenarios so welcome all opinions!
I feel like August is very easy to book for DVC. Personally I wouldn’t make that my fixed week and instead buy a FW for like early December or something to up the resale value. I doubt you'll struggle to book the week you want at the 11 month mark unless they make drastic changes to the point charts.

We have a fixed week at the Riviera and we love the convenience of NOT having the book the week ourselves, and we never have to worry about the mess with "walking" reservations.

In fact, I wish now that all of our DVC contracts were fixed weeks! :-)

FW's eliminate the hassles of booking and we'll use the points anyway (even if we cancel the auto-booked week). We have no problem paying the 10% premium in points for the convenience factor (and we don't lose the extra points if we cancel the FW because we then have just normal usable DVC points).

We've been on the lookout for resale contracts that have FW's, but these are the most difficult resale contracts to find (much harder than Aulani subsidized).

Also, I agree with the comments above: early December is probably the best FW to purchase. And FW 49 (first week of December) appears to be the most popular FW.

I have fixed week 26 at VGF (roughly, the 4th of July), and I have never used it as a fixed week. I got a good deal on the points. For one thing, nobody seemed to want that week. For another thing, there is a lot of misunderstanding out there. People thought you HAD to use it that week.
I made an offer quite a bit lower than the asking price, and it was accepted.

So, in my experience, if you have a fixed week that is not popular, it can actually be a drag on the price.
For Riviera, I would think a week in December or a week in October would be very popular, but otherwise, I would save the money. If you are able to book your August week at 11 months, I don’t think you will have any trouble.

We have a fixed week at the Riviera and we love the convenience of NOT having the book the week ourselves, and we never have to worry about the mess with "walking" reservations.

In fact, I wish now that all of our DVC contracts were fixed weeks! :-)

FW's eliminate the hassles of booking and we'll use the points anyway (even if we cancel the auto-booked week). We have no problem paying the 10% premium in points for the convenience factor (and we don't lose the extra points if we cancel the FW because we then have just normal usable DVC points).

We've been on the lookout for resale contracts that have FW's, but these are the most difficult resale contracts to find (much harder than Aulani subsidized).

Also, I agree with the comments above: early December is probably the best FW to purchase. And FW 49 (first week of December) appears to be the most popular FW.
Thank you!

And completely agree - I actually found a resale FW 52 at Copper Creek - it absolutely makes my life MUCH easier - but nearly impossible to find!

I have fixed week 26 at VGF (roughly, the 4th of July), and I have never used it as a fixed week. I got a good deal on the points. For one thing, nobody seemed to want that week. For another thing, there is a lot of misunderstanding out there. People thought you HAD to use it that week.

So, in my experience, if you have a fixed week that is not popular, it can actually be a drag on the price.
For Riviera, I would think a week in December or a week in October would be very popular, but otherwise, I would save the money. If you are able to book your August week at 11 months, I don’t think you will have any trouble.
Very true - I have a FW at Copper Creek that also sat for awhile. You have me leaning towards Dec - thank you for sharing your experience!

While we do go the same week in August YoY, is buying it for that week (which is the point of a FW) a waste vs. buying a more in demand week/using the points for August (but having a more desired hedge if I ever had to sell).
I'm not sure "I want to guarantee my buyer will always get to go in the absolute hottest and most humid part of summer that also is the leading edge of hurricane season" is all that much of a hedge.

I'm not sure "I want to guarantee my buyer will always get to go in the absolute hottest and most humid part of summer that also is the leading edge of hurricane season" is all that much of a hedge.
Hi, sorry if my wording wasn't clear. August wasn't the hedge - the hedge was buying a more desirable/in demand week even though I would use the points in August. Although ironically the only time I've ever experienced a hurricane at Disney was Hurricane Matthew in Oct...!

Counter argument buying a FW at Riviera now is about sales value in 2035-2050 when fixed weeks are more known.

Additonally nothing requires you to list the points as fixed week on a resale site. After you have the offer you could outline it's a fixed week.

Finally a number of weeks actually see the FW price cheaper than the premium. It was such a big issue That DVC changed it so FW point charts for new sales actually changes now when in the past it didn't.

Finally a number of weeks actually see the FW price cheaper than the premium. It was such a big issue That DVC changed it so FW point charts for new sales actually changes now when in the past it didn't.

When did DVC change that for fixed weeks?

When did DVC change that for fixed weeks?
They rebranded it to "Favorite Weeks" and then adjusted the point charts needed. If memory serves, this happened last year before the VDH point charts came out, so...early-2023?

Counter argument buying a FW at Riviera now is about sales value in 2035-2050 when fixed weeks are more known.

Additonally nothing requires you to list the points as fixed week on a resale site. After you have the offer you could outline it's a fixed week.

I’m a little confused. When I purchased my FW I paid for 10% amount in points from the point chart. It has worked out great as the points chart has increased over the years. If the points chart exceeds my premium paid, I am good and don’t incur any extra costs no matter what the points chart goes to. Has something changed with this? Can you post this new Favorite week points chart? Also, my week is no longer offered as it doesn’t meet the 150 pt membership point requirement.

They rebranded it to "Favorite Weeks" and then adjusted the point charts needed. If memory serves, this happened last year before the VDH point charts came out, so...early-2023?
How is this different than the original FW purchase requirements? Is it just rewording? can you post this different favorite week chart?

Hi, sorry if my wording wasn't clear. August wasn't the hedge - the hedge was buying a more desirable/in demand week even though I would use the points in August. Although ironically the only time I've ever experienced a hurricane at Disney was Hurricane Matthew in Oct...!
We did just that. Bought second week in December for rental purposes when we don’t use our points. Who knew how hard that week would be to book? We actually like going this time of year as well. Lots to think about for sure.

We did just that. Bought second week in December for rental purposes when we don’t use our points. Who knew how hard that week would be to book? We actually like going this time of year as well. Lots to think about for sure.
Have you rented it out yet? If so, do you charge what the amount of points you bought or the current point charts for it? Whichever is highest?

Have you rented it out yet? If so, do you charge what the amount of points you bought or the current point charts for it? Whichever is highest?
So I charge a set amount. Some sites want the number of points listed and price per point. I use the points chart listed ( which for my week now is 114 up from the original 107) and use a ppp for those rental sites requesting that. But usually I just request a set amount. I have never had an issue renting this week. This year had the same renter want my week again for 2024 as soon as they returned from their trip. It has been my best DVC purchase ever.

So I charge a set amount. Some sites want the number of points listed and price per point. I use the points chart listed ( which for my week now is 114 up from the original 107) and use a ppp for those rental sites requesting that. But usually I just request a set amount. I have never had an issue renting this week. This year had the same renter want my week again for 2024 as soon as they returned from their trip. It has been my best DVC purchase ever.
Thanks for the response! My one regret when we added on direct points was not getting a fixed week before they updated the charts in 2022/2023!

How is this different than the original FW purchase requirements? Is it just rewording? can you post this different favorite week chart?
The original Guaranteed Weeks pricing was based off the point charts released when the resort first opened. This meant that as Disney adjusted the point charts, the cost to buy a GW/FW remained based on the original charts, which made some of the fall weeks a true bargain to buy as a fixed week.

For example, Copper Creek opened in one of those few years where Thanksgiving was week 46 instead of 47 (where it most often lands), so I was able to secure a FW 47 for 118 points (the cost + 10% of week 47 when it opened), while the week now costs 127 points.

So my advice is - yes, secure a week that is higher value that you might want to use in the future. We don’t plan to go every year over Thanksgiving, but we wanted the convenience of having it when we DO want to go over Thanksgiving week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter