• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All about the Autotrain

Is it worth it to pay for the priority off boarding? I was quoted $90 each way for that for this July. It seems kind of steep but the thought of sitting in the station for hours would really stink if we were one of the unlucky ones.
So hard to know, since it's a gamble when your vehicle would be offloaded. For us, we've paid for it sometimes (though I think the fee was $60 then), but more often did not. Next month we've opted not because it's just DH and me, and we have a flexible schedule. If I were traveling with little ones or had an ADR I were trying to make, then I'd be more ready to pay the fee.

We’ve never paid for it. We’ve always had the luck of the draw. By the time we get off, assemble ourselves and stretch out legs a bit, the car is usually coming off. We stay offsite at Vistana Resort and usually book an ADR for the evening in DS, or head to the open air bar at Bahama Breeze, so we are not in a hurry.

Is it worth it to pay for the priority off boarding? I was quoted $90 each way for that for this July. It seems kind of steep but the thought of sitting in the station for hours would really stink if we were one of the unlucky ones.
For us, the value comes in our return home to get off the train and get in our car, on our way down we’re not feeling rushed but by the time we are headed home we’re just ready to be home! So I have gotten it on our return trips.

For us, the value comes in our return home to get off the train and get in our car, on our way down we’re not feeling rushed but by the time we are headed home we’re just ready to be home! So I have gotten it on our return trips.
That’s actually what I was thinking too especially since we still have to drive to New England when we get off the train.

Thanks all for the input!

For recent auto train travelers…. I read that Amtrak is in the process of replacing coach seats in long distance trains. Was wondering if those new seats have been installed on the auto train or if they still have the old blue cloth seats.

We rode twice since Covid. We had a bedroom and daughter and hubby had a roommate. We are too old to ride in coach! We like upstairs better than downstairs because the view is more panoramic as you go through the gorgeous countryside, and the wheel noise is pretty loud downstairs. The dining room was finally open again, and the food was pretty good. On the first trip, they would only deliver to the room. We love the auto train! We bring our own cheese and wine party. I bring a couple of bottles, crackers, grapes and cheeses, and little plates, napkins, a knife and yeti wine tumblers. It is a fun way to start off the trip. We pick up supplies for the return trip party.

I bring my own pillow, because I am a princess, a light small throw, a small usb fan because I get stuck on the higher bunk and am a princess, and a power outlet strip for devices . Also my shower gear because I am a princess. Even when we are in a bedroom, the bedroom shower is minuscule, and makes the bathroom all wet, so I use the one downstairs. If you are in roommates, there is one upstairs toilet, and the rest are downstairs. I bring Lysol wipes, and they remain in good condition throughout the trip.
HAHA, I do the some of the same things, wipes, pillows/blankets, and I take a shower. We are going again in May, I know the service isnt the same, and the delays(which aren't entirely Amtraks fault).

For recent auto train travelers…. I read that Amtrak is in the process of replacing coach seats in long distance trains. Was wondering if those new seats have been installed on the auto train or if they still have the old blue cloth seats.
I heard by 2025 or 26 for all of the Amtrak lines. We are going in May staying in a roomette though, I will ask the conductor if they know, I alway BS with them half the trip anyway LOL.

I heard by 2025 or 26 for all of the Amtrak lines. We are going in May staying in a roomette though, I will ask the conductor if they know, I alway BS with them half the trip anyway LOL.
Have a great trip! Post a TR! We will be going next in October!

So hard to know, since it's a gamble when your vehicle would be offloaded. For us, we've paid for it sometimes (though I think the fee was $60 then), but more often did not. Next month we've opted not because it's just DH and me, and we have a flexible schedule. If I were traveling with little ones or had an ADR I were trying to make, then I'd be more ready to pay the fee.
Last December, we were in the last group of 25 cars to offload, and it was awful. 2 and 1/2 hours of watching everyone else but us get to leave. Never again. It was great to be #24!

Last December, we were in the last group of 25 cars to offload, and it was awful. 2 and 1/2 hours of watching everyone else but us get to leave. Never again. It was great to be #24!
That happened to us once as well. That's all it takes to make that $60 feel like a real bargain!

DH, DDs 2 & 3 (adults), and I decided to book the AT for our July trip. We were planning to drive (from upstate NY), but the $19 coach fares were too good to pass up to save on 60% of the drive + hotel. (Car cost $500+ RT, though :rolleyes: But still a great deal overall). We booked Lower Level, knowing there are only 12 seats per car and should be less disruption than Upper Level since there won't be people passing through. I also know the rail noise will be louder and there could be some odors from the restrooms. So pros and cons. Anyway, we've never travelled Lower Level Coach, so this is the chance to try it. After all that intro, some questions:
  • Has anyone traveled in Lower Level Coach recently who can share their experience? Don't sugar coat it - I want to be prepared.
  • Coach seats are assigned on a first-some-first-served basis. I'm imagining a scenario where we can't get all four seats together (or worse, not even in the same car), so they bump us Upper Level to be together. Chances this happens? How early would you arrive to try to mitigate this possibility?
  • Corollary to the above: Is it still possible to arrive to the station early and bypass the car drop-off by going to the parking area, walking inside to check-in, and then leave the station to return later for car drop-off? I believe I read about this years ago but have no idea whether this is still possible.

TIA for any replies!!

DH, DDs 2 & 3 (adults), and I decided to book the AT for our July trip. We were planning to drive (from upstate NY), but the $19 coach fares were too good to pass up to save on 60% of the drive + hotel. (Car cost $500+ RT, though :rolleyes: But still a great deal overall). We booked Lower Level, knowing there are only 12 seats per car and should be less disruption than Upper Level since there won't be people passing through. I also know the rail noise will be louder and there could be some odors from the restrooms. So pros and cons. Anyway, we've never travelled Lower Level Coach, so this is the chance to try it. After all that intro, some questions:
  • Has anyone traveled in Lower Level Coach recently who can share their experience? Don't sugar coat it - I want to be prepared.
  • Coach seats are assigned on a first-some-first-served basis. I'm imagining a scenario where we can't get all four seats together (or worse, not even in the same car), so they bump us Upper Level to be together. Chances this happens? How early would you arrive to try to mitigate this possibility?
  • Corollary to the above: Is it still possible to arrive to the station early and bypass the car drop-off by going to the parking area, walking inside to check-in, and then leave the station to return later for car drop-off? I believe I read about this years ago but have no idea whether this is still possible.

TIA for any replies!!
Here is what the amtrak site says about seat assignments, which is that they are assigned when you book. Although you can book on the app, it will assign seats automatically. If you call Amtrak, you can work with them on your seat assignments as the booking is completed:
Are Auto Train coach seats assigned?

Your seat will be automatically assigned when you complete your reservation. You may change your assigned seat and choose a different seat at any time after your booking is complete by viewing your reservation in the Amtrak app or on Amtrak.com. There is no fee to change your seat.

Back to Erin: we rode coach many times before we got too old not to need a roommette or bedroom.
You might want to look at how full the train is -- for the lower compartment you might be the only ones there, and it might also be full with others. The door shuts, so you would be enclosed. The odors on the lower level are more chemical and not overpowering. I like upstairs better because I like the view out the window and the clackety-clack bothers me. Our favorite coach seats were the bulkhead with more space, using carryon for foot rest.

Reactions: KSL
Here is what the amtrak site says about seat assignments, which is that they are assigned when you book. Although you can book on the app, it will assign seats automatically. If you call Amtrak, you can work with them on your seat assignments as the booking is completed:
Are Auto Train coach seats assigned?

Your seat will be automatically assigned when you complete your reservation. You may change your assigned seat and choose a different seat at any time after your booking is complete by viewing your reservation in the Amtrak app or on Amtrak.com. There is no fee to change your seat.

Back to Erin: we rode coach many times before we got too old not to need a roommette or bedroom.
You might want to look at how full the train is -- for the lower compartment you might be the only ones there, and it might also be full with others. The door shuts, so you would be enclosed. The odors on the lower level are more chemical and not overpowering. I like upstairs better because I like the view out the window and the clackety-clack bothers me. Our favorite coach seats were the bulkhead with more space, using carryon for foot rest.
Oops, as to arrival, you can still arrive early, check in at the kiosk, and bypass car offloading to check in inside. The reason to get there early used to be to get the preferred dinner hour, but coach passengers now can only purchase food in the cafe. (You can bring on a cooler for your own wine and cheese party or other dining amenities.) Breakfast is still included in the cafe car. But arriving earlier lets you get your boarding pass well ahead of the crowds. Departure time is an hour later than before. As you know, you can also spend time in the cafe car, if the coach seats start to feel claustrophbic.

We have traveled lower level, my suggestion is to not sit near the front because they leave the lights on all night. Get foam ear protectors and you can sleep better.

@erinch, thank you for your replies. I'm so perplexed about the info you copied/pasted from the Amtrak website. I looked at my reservation online and it doesn't even say what level of accommodation we booked (though my eTicket does), nevermind that there are no seat assignments showing. I just called to inquire and was told that they do NOT assign seats in advance for Coach -- it's only done at check-in. !?!? Interesting that their website apparently says otherwise (I didn't see what you'd pasted but 100% believe I just didn't find it and that you are correct). Good to know we can still arrive early, though, so I'll probably try to do that and after checking in and getting actual seat assignments, head elsewhere for lunch and return in time to drop off the car and board.

@AJKMOM, great tips, thank you. We do plan to try to ask for four seats across the back of the car so fingers crossed we get that. I think we'll probably all have white noise (headphones) or earplugs, too.

@erinch, thank you for your replies. I'm so perplexed about the info you copied/pasted from the Amtrak website. I looked at my reservation online and it doesn't even say what level of accommodation we booked (though my eTicket does), nevermind that there are no seat assignments showing. I just called to inquire and was told that they do NOT assign seats in advance for Coach -- it's only done at check-in. !?!? Interesting that their website apparently says otherwise (I didn't see what you'd pasted but 100% believe I just didn't find it and that you are correct). Good to know we can still arrive early, though, so I'll probably try to do that and after checking in and getting actual seat assignments, head elsewhere for lunch and return in time to drop off the car and board.

@AJKMOM, great tips, thank you. We do plan to try to ask for four seats across the back of the car so fingers crossed we get that. I think we'll probably all have white noise (headphones) or earplugs, too.
Aaargh, what I found was apparently an archived site. I am sorry! This does mean arriving early is a great idea. I will fix what I posted later today!

One other thing to note. On our last two auto train trips, there was something wrong with the coffee makers, and so there was no coffee in the cafe car. So you might want to bring a can of cold brew or a yeti with hot coffee just in case - that is, if coffee is as necessary for you to function as it is for me!

@KSL we also booked the $19 sale, too good to pass up when traveling with 8 people! This will be our first time in coach. We plan on having lunch, arriving at the station around 11:30/12, parking to the left in their tiny parking lot and reserving our seats. We are traveling with 6 kids between the ages of 9-15 and only 3 of the kids are mine so I want to make sure our seats are as close together as possible. We will then take our car and drive about 10 minutes to the National Museum of the US Army. We'll hang out there for an hour or 2 then get takeout from Jersey Mike's across the street from the station to eat later for dinner and head back to the station.

Make sure you bring cash if you plan on buying anything in the cafe- during one trip last year they were cash only due to an issue with their credit card machines.

I have never heard of the museum of the US Army! We always end up at the (has been awful on 4 visits) IHOP for lunch because that is the only time hubby Kent gets to eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter