All about the Autotrain

These reports are appreciated but concerning. I just booked my first trip for this August because flying stresses me out anymore. Being disabled, it’s always a hassle and I’ve had my equipment broken in the past. I figured getting a bedroom on the train should allow me to relax and not worry about someone mishandling my ECV. Hopefully more reports will be posted between now and August.
We are traveling on Tuesday 1/16 and have traveled via the Auto train many times. I will post after our trip and hopefully let you know how it is compared to previous trips. By the way, if you have an ECV, have you booked a handicapped accessible room?

We are traveling on Tuesday 1/16 and have traveled via the Auto train many times. I will post after our trip and hopefully let you know how it is compared to previous trips. By the way, if you have an ECV, have you booked a handicapped accessible room?
FYI, we get a first floor room, the Attendant brings meals to the room when we ask (I do tip well for that) and leave our ECV in the car until we arrive. We take a walker or cane, but we also have used their wheelchairs when necessary on both ends.

Has anyone had success with “bidding” for an upgrade? I’ve put in for one from a roomette to a room, and one from coach to a roomette. I’d love to know what others have experienced.

@PrincessGenie, yes we were able to secure a HA bedroom and I plan to leave my ECV in the car. I’m hoping to use an Amtrak wheelchair but I have to research that more in case I need to bring a transport chair etc. I look forward to your trip report….have a wonderful trip!

@PrincessGenie, yes we were able to secure a HA bedroom and I plan to leave my ECV in the car. I’m hoping to use an Amtrak wheelchair but I have to research that more in case I need to bring a transport chair etc. I look forward to your trip report….have a wonderful trip!
Great - Lots of space and bathroom in room. My hubby can't do the stairs so attendant brings our dinner as well. The attendants at the station are good about bringing their AMTRAK transport chairs to take you to your train. Only one accessible room on each sleeper car so sometimes it is a long walk to your car. Take advantage of the transport chair.

Great - Lots of space and bathroom in room. My hubby can't do the stairs so attendant brings our dinner as well. The attendants at the station are good about bringing their AMTRAK transport chairs to take you to your train. Only one accessible room on each sleeper car so sometimes it is a long walk to your car. Take advantage of the transport chair.

FYI, we get a first floor room, the Attendant brings meals to the room when we ask (I do tip well for that) and leave our ECV in the car until we arrive. We take a walker or cane, but we also have used their wheelchairs when necessary on both ends.

Are they serving the dinner in the lounge car again? Last June of ‘22 they were still bringing it only to your room at night and at breakfast I went down and they gave you to go boxes.

Are they serving the dinner in the lounge car again? Last June of ‘22 they were still bringing it only to your room at night and at breakfast I went down and they gave you to go boxes.
Our last 2 trips were in Jan. 2023 and May 2023. Both times they were back to serving dinner (and breakfast) in the dining car for sleeping car passengers. You select your time when you check in. You can opt to pick up breakfast and carry it back to your room. Because of my husband's mobility issues we have dinner delivered but I go up and bring breakfast back. I think they expect you to go to the dining car for meals if you can.

Our last 2 trips were in Jan. 2023 and May 2023. Both times they were back to serving dinner (and breakfast) in the dining car for sleeping car passengers. You select your time when you check in. You can opt to pick up breakfast and carry it back to your room. Because of my husband's mobility issues we have dinner delivered but I go up and bring breakfast back. I think they expect you to go to the dining car for meals if you can.
That’s great! Thanks

I took the AT with my dd (she and I had a roomette) and my mom and disabled dad in 2022. I booked them a HA bedroom. I had Dad's transport chair in the car but when we checked in, they noted that we had a HA room and they met us at the car with an Amtrak transport chair and pushed him into the station (even though typically I push the chair) and also pushed him out to and onto the train before everyone else boarded (we all went). Same thing next morning-they had the chair waiting when it was time to exit and they got him off and in the station before others. They were really helpful, brought their meals to them also. I got their breakfast since I was going anyways, and I tipped the attendants well-they were good to my folks.

Do note that the bed for the companion in the HA room is an upper bunk-Mom was able to climb it then but that would be a no-go now.

I took the AT with my dd (she and I had a roomette) and my mom and disabled dad in 2022. I booked them a HA bedroom. I had Dad's transport chair in the car but when we checked in, they noted that we had a HA room and they met us at the car with an Amtrak transport chair and pushed him into the station (even though typically I push the chair) and also pushed him out to and onto the train before everyone else boarded (we all went). Same thing next morning-they had the chair waiting when it was time to exit and they got him off and in the station before others. They were really helpful, brought their meals to them also. I got their breakfast since I was going anyways, and I tipped the attendants well-they were good to my folks.

Do note that the bed for the companion in the HA room is an upper bunk-Mom was able to climb it then but that would be a no-go now.
Thank you for the info!

Our trip on 1/16 was uneventful. We left Lorton on time. It was a chock a block full train. Our sleeping car attendant was terrific, (Taylor). He brought our dinner on time and all was correct. He also offered to bring us breakfast! And did so. I usually go up and do the carry out breakfast for the two of us, but he brought us the new breakfast with egg casserole (egg, cheese, ham) potatoes (yummy), and a croissant with coffee cake, banana, oj and coffee.
We do not require it but there were many passengers who needed transport chairs to and from the train and they provided folks to do that. The train arrived 40 minutes late and I can't tell you why because when we reached Jacksonville we were on track to arrive half an hour early.
Let me know if you have questions. FYI It's pretty cool in FL right now!

Our trip on 1/16 was uneventful. We left Lorton on time. It was a chock a block full train. Our sleeping car attendant was terrific, (Taylor). He brought our dinner on time and all was correct. He also offered to bring us breakfast! And did so. I usually go up and do the carry out breakfast for the two of us, but he brought us the new breakfast with egg casserole (egg, cheese, ham) potatoes (yummy), and a croissant with coffee cake, banana, oj and coffee.
We do not require it but there were many passengers who needed transport chairs to and from the train and they provided folks to do that. The train arrived 40 minutes late and I can't tell you why because when we reached Jacksonville we were on track to arrive half an hour early.
Let me know if you have questions. FYI It's pretty cool in FL right now!
Thanks so much for the report! I wonder if I’ll have to wait for an attendant to push me in a transport chair or if my son can just grab one of the chairs and push me. I hope you have/had a wonderful trip!

Thanks so much for the report! I wonder if I’ll have to wait for an attendant to push me in a transport chair or if my son can just grab one of the chairs and push me. I hope you have/had a wonderful trip!
With my dad, we/they had noted the HA reservation at the check in booth (we have a hanging ha placard also) and when we pulled up to go into the station they were right there with the chair-it suprised me actually as I was already getting his chair out! I didn't know they were going to do that. Then in the station, they told us 'wait here until we return to get you' and they came and took him (and us following) out before the boarding call, like 'pre-boarding'.

Boarding today in Sanford to return home to VA. Train didn't appear on the tracking map (assuming issue with the onboard gps) so had to follow status on Amtrak site which just says it was scheduled for 10:02 (3 min late) and saw it pass through Folkston on the railcam yt channel around 540 am (I replayed it) so we're going with that it's in Sanford now.

We got to Sanford around 1215 on 31 Jan and people were still leaving. We found out why at 1230 when workers started down the line handing out magnets/checking in cars. One of the ramps for loading/unloading ramps was broken and they had about 20 cars stuck until they could fix it. They did fix it by 1 or so and they started letting us in. Meanwhile, while we were waiting in the car, my husband went in and checked us in. So,, when they did let us in, we just had to get our stuff out of the car and sit in the waiting area. I never heard the numbers, but the train was not 100% full. We had a rather uneventful trip and got into Lorton around 940 am and as we had priority offloading, we were home by 11 am. We live about 40 min from the station. There was a couple that sat across from us when we first got into Lorton and they asked us if we were there for the train to FL. We said, no we were just coming back. Someone they knew told them to get there "early". I didn't get a chance to ask any questions as our car was called at that time. We were probably #7 called. I wanted to let them know exactly how it worked, but we had to go.

Something else we observed. A woman walked into the Sanford Station in dress pants, heels, blazer and designer blouse carrying her designer purse (looked like alligator) and a LV weekender bag. All I could think of was "how uncomfortable for train travel" and "heels and walking between train cars and on the train itself in motion, just nope". Everyone else had on jeans, sweats, leggings, athletic shoes or flats. I have enough trouble walking in tennis shoes when the train is moving. I can't begin to think how it would feel in skinny heels (prob about 3 inch). Meanwhile, I had on shorts, athletic shoes, carrying my backpack and our weekend bag (LeSportSac that we've had for 15 years). I don't bother wearing makeup either. I just wonder what she thought train travel is? You do see people dressed like that on the NEC trains but that's because a lot are heading to meetings for work, etc and it's not an overnight train ride. Anyway, I wonder what she was thinking?

Something else we observed. A woman walked into the Sanford Station in dress pants, heels, blazer and designer blouse carrying her designer purse (looked like alligator) and a LV weekender bag. All I could think of was "how uncomfortable for train travel" and "heels and walking between train cars and on the train itself in motion, just nope". Everyone else had on jeans, sweats, leggings, athletic shoes or flats. I have enough trouble walking in tennis shoes when the train is moving. I can't begin to think how it would feel in skinny heels (prob about 3 inch). Meanwhile, I had on shorts, athletic shoes, carrying my backpack and our weekend bag (LeSportSac that we've had for 15 years). I don't bother wearing makeup either. I just wonder what she thought train travel is? You do see people dressed like that on the NEC trains but that's because a lot are heading to meetings for work, etc and it's not an overnight train ride. Anyway, I wonder what she was thinking?
Maybe she was coming from a work business trip and hates to fly/needed her car there and figured she could easily change in her roomette or the changing room in coach once she got on the train?

On a side note, what’s up with the auto train pricing? It’s always been more expensive than flying, but the price is up at least 40% from what we experienced 2 years ago. Even the vehicle pricing. Do they still use the bucket pricing? I tried different dates to see if I was running into issues with it being a high bucket time, it’s just high across the board.

On a side note, what’s up with the auto train pricing? It’s always been more expensive than flying, but the price is up at least 40% from what we experienced 2 years ago. Even the vehicle pricing. Do they still use the bucket pricing? I tried different dates to see if I was running into issues with it being a high bucket time, it’s just high across the board.
It's probably not "fair" to compare with prices from covid or post-covid times. Lots of places had lower rates to get people back to traveling. I'm sure that recent inflation was a decent impact as well.

That said, we traveled on the AutoTrain this past week with really good sale fares we found towards the end of last year. We were also granted a roomette upgrade on an admittedly bad bid-up attempt. The train was 50% full. I was pretty happy with what we paid overall for our one-way trip. Cheaper than the previous couple of years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter