All About Using A Magicband+ At Disneyland California

Bad Pink Tink 2.0

Original Join Date March 2015
Magicbands are new to Disneyland California since my last visit, so I was excited to try them in June 2023.

I bought my Magicband+ in World of Disney in Downtown Disney the day before my first park visit. There are many designs to choose from, some are unique to California, some are for Disney100 celebrations. There are also different prices, depending on the design, just like how pins are priced. They are also sold at the hotel gift shops, Pin Traders in Downtown Disney and in various locations around the parks.

I decided on this design as I wanted it to be memento of Disneyland.

Magicband 4.png

The set up was so easy. It comes with a USB charger and needs to be charged before the first use.

Then when its charged you first link it to your Disney account. This means that you can use it as your park ticket. You just show it to the CM at the turnstile and they scan it with their device.

As it is linked to your Disney account it can be used to redeem both Individual Lightning Lanes and Genie+ Lightning Lanes.

Magicband 3.png

Magicband 2.png

You also then pair it to your phone, so that the Disneyland App and location functions are enabled.

This means that the Magicband will recognize when you are in certain locations, and light up and vibrate during various times.

Magicband 1.png

I loved using the Magicband+ at Disneyland California. It was so much easier than using the phone App with my ticket barcode.
I used the Magicband+ to
  • Scan in at the entrance turnstyles
  • Redeem Genie + Lightning Lanes
  • Redeem Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes
  • Photopass
I loved how it would interreact and react in various places. This is where I noticed it lighting up and vibrating

magicband light up.png
  • World of Color One
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Minnie and Mickeys Runaway Railway
  • Encanto Projections at Its A Small World

Thank you for your post! I'm looking forward to using my Magic Band+ for the first time in October.

Thanks for the review/tips. We will be having a three day single park pass at the end of November. It sounds convenient to not have to deal with paper tickets or phone apps, etc., and thatn you just get your wrist scanned. It's been a couple of years since we last visited the park so I don't remember quite what the procedure is at the park turnstiles. Can my magicband+ be all set up so that even on day 1, i can get through turnstiles with just a scan of the wrist and not have to show any other info like I.D., phone app, etc.?

Can my magicband+ be all set up so that even on day 1, i can get through turnstiles with just a scan of the wrist and not have to show any other info like I.D., phone app, etc.?

Yes, if it is just a regular ticket. If it's a Southern California resident ticket or the first time using a Magic Key, you will have to show ID. But, for regular day tickets, you can just show your magicband+. (You will still have to get your picture taken by the Cast Member on your first scan though.)

Thanks!, The less things to take in/out of pockets, packs, etc., the less opportunity for things to get misplaced or lost.

I love it! The only thing I don't like about it is that I find myself constantly looking at it to see the time (I grew up wearing watches). I don't know why they couldn't have included an actual watch face, LOL! I catch myself at least 4-5 times/day checking my band for the time, but it's always Castle o'Clock.

Wow, I love that Magic Band design! I already have one from WDW that I will use on my upcomign trip, and since they are rechargeable, I swore it would be my last MB...but, man, I kinda want that Disneyland one!

Last edited:
We did the same as you in July for our first visit to DL. Before our first park day we also went into World of Disney and purchased them and were fully charged and downloaded the next day. We used them for all the same things you did. Now they need to make them unlock the doors at the DL hotels.

Thanks for your report.

Got them for our trip to DL since used to them in DW.

They are convenient for scanning in to parks and Lightning Lane . They do light up occasionally on a few rides, but nothing really spectacular. Only saw a few other people using them. Really annoying can't use them for ride photos like can in DW, Didn't get most ride photos since by time found it and tried to take a picture or jot down the code, the picture would disappear.... miss being able to just tap band under photo.

I love it! The only thing I don't like about it is that I find myself constantly looking at it to see the time (I grew up wearing watches). I don't know why they couldn't have included an actual watch face, LOL! I catch myself at least 4-5 times/day checking my band for the time, but it's always Castle o'Clock.
ha ha....i still wear a watch! And plan on wearing my magic band next to my watch on the same wrist. Other than apple watches and fancy expensive watches (Rolex, etc.) do people still wear plain old watches? I prefer cheap Casio watches myself :D

I have been using my MB+ at Disneyland since last year. We had them from our WDW trip last year and they have gotten a lot of use. My biggest pro is that I am often pushing my Mom in a wheelchair and it is so much easier to scan the band than to have to try to hold the phone and push the chair at the same time.

For those that use at WDW and Disneyland, have you had any issues with using at either? We bought MB+ and used at WDW but have an upcoming Disneyland trip. Thanks!

For those that use at WDW and Disneyland, have you had any issues with using at either? We bought MB+ and used at WDW but have an upcoming Disneyland trip. Thanks!

I have had 0 issues with linking my MB+ from WDW to the Disneyland app and then using it in the park. I got my band for my Sept 2022 WDW trip and started using it at Disneyland when they started with them last year (November maybe?). The band went back to WDW and still no issues. It is just linked to both apps.

I have had 0 issues with linking my MB+ from WDW to the Disneyland app and then using it in the park. I got my band for my Sept 2022 WDW trip and started using it at Disneyland when they started with them last year (November maybe?). The band went back to WDW and still no issues. It is just linked to both apps.
Awesome! Thank you!!

Ok... now I'm super tempted to buy a MagicBand+ before my trip to Disneyland next month.... I mean arguably I can use it in WDW too right?!?!?! I'm curious about its battery life though. How'd it do?

Ok... now I'm super tempted to buy a MagicBand+ before my trip to Disneyland next month.... I mean arguably I can use it in WDW too right?!?!?! I'm curious about its battery life though. How'd it do?
Mine lasted like a champ. Something to note, though, is that it functions for entry even if it isn't charged up. You can scan in the park and rides without charging it. You just won't get the lights and interactive stuff.

It may not matter because this is the show's last week. MB+ lit up quite a few times in Rogers the Musical.

hmmm...I thought I had no interest in getting a MB, but now...I might have to grab one! Can you tell me the approximate price range? And, can I link the rest of my party and use the MB for all three of us (entry and LL)?

Thanks for the info!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter