All Star Movies Renovations

Touring plans is wrong more often than right. I know part of Toy Story section is standard as that is what I booked and where I stayed back in 2014. At check in I was surprised I was so close and said something to the effect of I was pixie dusted with an upgrade. The CM smiled and said it was still a standard room. It was a parking lot view. Full on parking lot. The courtyard rooms in that section are preferred. Unless they have recatagorized since then.

ETA: Even if the CM was wrong I have only booked a standard for late September and requested a refurbished room (my ONLY request) hoping for the best. Not expecting anything more than I paid for so will take whatever I get. If you really want a refurbed room probably best to both book the preferred and have refurbished as your only request.
We originally booked all star movies for October in a standard room and it would only let me choose toy story or love bug on the online check in. That could be wrong too I guess. We ended up switching to pop since we are going through a ta now. I agree that booking preferred and having refurbished as the only request is a good way to get a new room right now.

Touring plans is wrong more often than right. I know part of Toy Story section is standard as that is what I booked and where I stayed back in 2014. At check in I was surprised I was so close and said something to the effect of I was pixie dusted with an upgrade. The CM smiled and said it was still a standard room. It was a parking lot view. Full on parking lot. The courtyard rooms in that section are preferred. Unless they have recatagorized since then.

We originally booked all star movies for October in a standard room and it would only let me choose toy story or love bug on the online check in. That could be wrong too I guess. We ended up switching to pop since we are going through a ta now. I agree that booking preferred and having refurbished as the only request is a good way to get a new room right now.

I'd be glad to be wrong, but unlike Pop Century where there is a mix of room types (standard, standard pool, preferred, etc.) within sections and buildings, the conventional wisdom is that the All-Stars have preferred sections and standard sections. At Movies the standard sections are Mighty Ducks and Love Bug, and the preferred sections are Toy Story, Fantasia, and 101 Dalmatians. You can book a standard room and be assigned into a preferred section, but not the other way around (and if you are, they need to compensate you.)

The online check-in requests have yet to have any technical connection to your reservation -- the system has no idea what you booked and so the requests choices don't change based on what you have booked. So you'll see requests for preferred sections even with a standard room reservation.

I was booked at sports but called reservations last night when I saw the enchanted escape promo.

Had no openings left at sports or music so switched to movies for the deal.

I'm excited to try movies in September and now reading up on that resort.

(It was only $168.xx to upgrade from room only to this booking and have the free ddp with it.)

At Movies now...checked in yesterday....in a renovated preferred room in Toy Story, Buzz Section, building 10, first floor room....we hate the new design...It looks like a sterile hospital room with a few pictures of Disney - it could also be a generic hotel anywhere. While I love the flooring, we found that there were no luggage racks to put your suitcases on and while they say you can store your suitcases under the bed, ours did not fit and there is no clock in the room. The closet area was WAY too small - there is just 2 of us and we are finding it small...the beds are super comfy (I was asleep in 5 minutes last night) but they are high. My Mom said the murphy bed was comfy but there was no comforter or duvet on it just a blanket so luckily we always travel with a blanket. We are hoping it was just an oversight when our room was made up so if still the same way today I will call for extra blankets or a duvet. I am not a fan of the new tub area. The tub is high and it has a metal lip on the top so the sliding glass doors can slide and I hit my toe getting out yesterday (ouch). There are no grab bars in the tub/shower area and my Mom's suction cup handle will not stick and there is nothing to hold onto to get in or out of the shower/tub. The rainforest head, while some will love, is horrible. We both have thick hair and it took forever to get the shampoo out. I wish they had given both shower heads with a choice. There is also no where to put your face cloth and you have to be a contorshonist (sp?) to get your toilet paper - it is behind to the side of the toilet (because of the pocket doors). Also, when the murphy bed is down the corners stick out - we used lots of bath towels to cover the corners. I am afraid that a child is going to fall and hit their head on the corner. Someone asked about where to out a pack and play and I would think it would fit between the coffee area and the dresser but the a/c blows right on that area. Also when the murphy bed is down, you lose the table and I like to be on my computer and am using the dresser with a chair in front - not ideal but it works. Hoping to walk around the resort later today to report on areas of construction (they were painting the walls outside our room yesterday when we checked in).

Last edited:
How would you describe the beds? Soft, medium, hard, pillow top?

Assuming the Movies mattress updates are the same as the new rooms at Pop Century (and that they kept using the same mattresses as the renovations progressed) they were pillow top mattresses in rooms I had this year in the 80s section and the 70s section at Pop.
upload_2018-7-28_14-8-22.jpeg

Last edited:

At Movies now...checked in yesterday....in a renovated preferred room in Toy Story, Buzz Section, building 10, first floor room....we hate the new design...It looks like a sterile hospital room with a few pictures of Disney - it could also be a generic hotel anywhere. While I love the flooring, we found that there were no luggage racks to put your suitcases on and while they say you can store your suitcases under the bed, ours did not fit and there is no clock in the room. The closet area was WAY too small - there is just 2 of us and we are finding it small...the beds are super comfy (I was asleep in 5 minutes last night) but they are high. My Mom said the murphy bed was comfy but there was no comforter or duvet on it just a blanket so luckily we always travel with a blanket. We are hoping it was just an oversight when our room was made up so if still the same way today I will call for extra blankets or a duvet. I am not a fan of the new tub area. The tub is high and it has a metal lip on the top so the sliding glass doors can slide and I hit my toe getting out yesterday (ouch). There are no grab bars in the tub/shower area and my Mom's suction cup handle will not stick and there is nothing to hold onto to get in or out of the shower/tub. The rainforest head, while some will love, is horrible. We both have thick hair and it took forever to get the shampoo out. I wish they had given both shower heads with a choice. There is also no where to put your face cloth and you have to be a contorshonist (sp?) to get your toilet paper - it is behind to the side of the toilet (because of the pocket doors). Also, when the murphy bed is down the corners stick out - we used lots of bath towels to cover the corners. I am afraid that a child is going to fall and hit their head on the corner. Someone asked about where to out a pack and play and I would think it would fit between the coffee area and the dresser but the a/c blows right on that area. Also when the murphy bed is down, you lose the table and I like to be on my computer and am using the dresser with a chair in front - not ideal but it works. Hoping to walk around the resort later today to report on areas of construction (they were painting the walls outside our room yesterday when we checked in).
That stinks that you don’t like the rooms. We really liked the rooms at pop. Do you only have the rain shower head in the bath and not the other one?

Let us know what construction you see around the resort if you have time! Hopefully things go better for you.

That stinks that you don’t like the rooms. We really liked the rooms at pop. Do you only have the rain shower head in the bath and not the other one?

Let us know what construction you see around the resort if you have time! Hopefully things go better for you.

I spoke to the duty manager and it seems that we might have had a defective shower head so maintenance came and replaced it today while we were at DHS...tried it out and it is way better.

Didn't get a chance to walk around the resort today as it started raining this afternoon. We head to the Disney Dream tomorrow and will be back to WDW on Friday (but staying at Pop)...I plan on driving over to the resort during our second part of our stay to take pictures around the resort...the time just got away from us...

Didn't get a chance to walk around the resort today as it started raining this afternoon. We head to the Disney Dream tomorrow and will be back to WDW on Friday (but staying at Pop)...I plan on driving over to the resort during our second part of our stay to take pictures around the resort...the time just got away from us...
No problem! I don’t want you to feel like your vacation is work lol. If you do get the chance to take some pictures that would be great! I’m just wondering if both Fantasia buildings are being worked on and how far along they look.

How would you describe the beds? Soft, medium, hard, pillow top?

TIA
I’d say medium. Not too hard and not too soft. Someone replied that the ones at Pop are pillowtop- I could be wrong- but I don’t think they were pillowtop at ASMo. Again~ could be wrong~ and I actually think we were the very first to stay in our room & sleep on the beds~ but I definitely thought they were medium.

I’d say medium. Not too hard and not too soft. Someone replied that the ones at Pop are pillowtop- I could be wrong- but I don’t think they were pillowtop at ASMo. Again~ could be wrong~ and I actually think we were the very first to stay in our room & sleep on the beds~ but I definitely thought they were medium.

I have slept on the new Pop beds many times. They are comfortable, but they aren't pillowtop - at least not my definition of pillowtop. They just look like a standard mattress - no extra padding on top.

Thanks, Tink2, that gives me an idea. If you were the first in the room, the mattress likely will loosen up a bit over time, too.

Assuming the Movies mattress updates are the same as the new rooms at Pop Century (and that they kept using the same mattresses as the renovations progressed) they were pillow top mattresses in rooms I had this year in the 80s section and the 70s section at Pop.
View attachment 339892

Thank you! That certainly helps.

I have a passholder room promo booked for a preferred room September 4-9! My only room request was for a refurbished room. I wonder what the likelihood of scoring a refurbed room will be?

I have a passholder room promo booked for a preferred room September 4-9! My only room request was for a refurbished room. I wonder what the likelihood of scoring a refurbed room will be?
I’m still waiting to hear any reports. I haven’t heard anything for awhile. I think if you just request toy story you might have a good chance.

The TouringPlans website says "work is underway in buildings 7 and 8 (the southern side of Fantasia and Love Bug)." Can anyone confirm that Love Bug is being renovated now? I would have assumed they would do both buildings of Fantasia before starting on a standard building, so not sure how true it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter