All Stars or Pop Century for me?

BillSears

DIS Veteran
My family decided to plan a trip for 22 of us to WDW over Thanksgiving week. NP, It'll be crowded but I can go on down and have fun anyway. Here is the problem though. My BIL is in the Navy and my Sister got some of us rooms at Shades of Green. However she negleted to tell us that she wasn't able to actually get a reservation for Thanksgiving night. Instead she told me yesterday about it saying that if she's unable to get the room for Thanksgiving night we can all just check out and stay at one of the other Sister/Brother/Mother etc places for that one night. I don't think she understands that I REALLY want to guarantee an accessible room and bathroom. So I've decided to just make a reservation at the All Stars or Pop Century for Thanksgiving night.

My question is which resort would be better for someone who needs 2 beds and an accessible bathroom that has a tub with handrails? I'm a paraplegic who is traveling with his daughter so 2 beds is a must. Also having a bathroom I can get my wheelchair into and close the door is a must. I prefer a tub over a roll in show.

Do any of you have experiences to share about these resorts?

Pop Century doesn't have what you want. No tub with full hand rails.

I think all the WDW resorts that are handicapped accessible have the roll in showers.

no tubs.

there is a special number for you to call (I think)

Wrong spiceycat. Some at All Stars do have tubs with bars that surround the tub. Also some at Cabins in Ft Wilderness have that set up.

Thanks for the replys Ladies.

I call up WDW and made a reservation for Port Orleans French Quarter. :rolleyes:

I was told the only All Stars with rooms that have 2 double beds and a tub with handrails was All Star Movies. Unfortunatly Movies was booked solid for Thanksgiving night. The only recommedation they had was to upgrade to a moderate. So I went with POFQ since I've never stayed there.

It's a little bit more expensive but it's only one night and it's Walt Disney World so it'll all be fine. :earsboy:

Bill- I'm glad you didn't make a reservation for Pop Century but you may want to clarify with Special Services about the space in the bathroom with the tub/handrails.. For instance the room I was given at both POFQ and Pop with tub/handrails have a teeny tiny bathroom with absolutely no room to transfer. I'm not even sure a standard size w/c would fit through the doorway- mine's an adult narrow and barely squeezed in. Apparently all the rooms with tub/handrails are like this vs. the roll in shower. To get more clarification on which resorts have what type bathroom I pursued the issue and found that those that have an appropriate transfer area are called a bathroom with a "transfer tub" vs. just a bathroom with tub/handrails. I personally have used these in Coronado Springs, Animal Kindom Lodge, and Beach Club Villas. Gee, guess I need to take more vacations just to do the "research". Please let us know how POFQ works out for you- I found their bathroom with tub/handrails to be the same as the ones at Pop- impossible to use. I'd really hate for you to check in on such a busy night and find out there's a fiasco at hand. Kathy

dclfun said:
Gee, guess I need to take more vacations just to do the "research". Kathy
Sounds good to me.
The really specific information people are putting on the threads asking for information on what is exactly in the different accessible rooms is very helful. :worship:

Once school starts and I get my DD's Personal Care Attendent situation taken care of, I plan to search out some of this info and put it where people can access it easier. So keep up with the good info about what worked for you and what didn't and why.

On our stay at Pop last week part of our group was in a room which had a tub with hand rails. The bathroom seemed just as tiny as the non hand rail bathrooms - definantly no room for a wheelchair. The room was also no bigger and it still had 2 doube beds, I would think it would be hard to move around in there.

If you want to upgrade to a studio villa, BCV has some great HA studios. Room #525 is a studio with a huge bathroom with a tub and handrails. This studio has a not-so-bad view of Epcot too. Have you considered the studios? Either paying cash or renting points?

You may have to settle for a room with a roll in shower. We like ASMu, and the room we get has a king size bed and a large bathroom with a roll in shower. There is a flip up shower bench to use attatched to the wall. The room has an adjoining room. Now, I have never used this, but I understand thay will comp the adjoining room if there is more in the party than 2 persons, but again, you would have to find that out by calling special guest services. I am told they can also put in a roll a way bed in the room, but for the life of me I can't see how it would fit. The reason we like ASMu over the other All Stars is there are no steps down to the pool area.

Thanks PamPam but the king sized bed doen't really work for me. I'm travelling with my 21 year old daughter and a father and daughter sharing a bed is really not something we'd do unless there was no choice.

Since it's just one night I decided it's better to pay the extra for POFQ and get 2 beds. But if I'm trying for a budget trip in the future I'll make sure to reserve All Star Movies early enough to get a room with 2 double beds and an accessible bathroom with a tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter