All The Fort Wilderness 2020 Campsite Rack Rates and Analysis

You mean our dividend doesn't cover the increase? :duck:

I'm not priced out yet, but it certainly makes you reconsider. I'm going to St Thomas in a week. That trip, even counting airfare, will come in cheaper than a week at the Fort (with park tickets). We are going to the 2020 DIS Meet in October. I had originally planned on getting an AP for that trip, but now we are looking at Europe instead of multiple WDW trips. With the European economy, it will be the more cost effective vacation.

j
Wouldn't that be nice haha!! And I would likey to include exchange rate 😉

ED ,
I have been a lurker on the fort stuff for so long and i just wanted to say thank-you for all that
you contribute -
I have been fortunate enough to always get the area i wanted for the past 21 years ....
so it was all okay but the cost has been bothering me alott the last few years and my
visit has changed quite a bit, i used to stay for like 11-14 days way with the kids and now we also have DVC
so I do 6 days at the fort but I have been saying when the day comes I dont get my loop 3
I would trade in my 200.00 parking spot and maybe try a hotel instead .....
but the jokes on me now they added the parking fees at hotels
AND the increase in the annual pass too -
I love disney so much but that naggy nickel and diming is getting bad -
Like Pete says As long as we continue to pay .......they will continue with the increases
I know I will continue to come but maybe just not as much .

I understand that Disney is a business and its their job to make money but at some point there has to be a line where Disney sees that they are beyond the reach of even its most loyal people. Disney is becoming out of reach for most people.

Have you been to the parks lately? Wall to wall people. And The Fort is as full as it’s ever been. I mean this as inoffensively as possible, although many here will doubt that sentiment, but Disney owes you nothing because of your inability to afford to vacation at Disneyworld. Your whine about the high rates has no bearing on Disney’s business decisions until those decisions affect their bottom line. There are plenty of people in line behind you who are able and willing to pay the higher prices Disney should be charging.

I'm not priced out yet, but it certainly makes you reconsider. I'm going to St Thomas in a week. That trip, even counting airfare, will come in cheaper than a week at the Fort (with park tickets).

An irrelevant apples-to-oranges comparison. If your income doesn’t allow you to spend time at the highest rated vacation destination in the world you should definitely consider other (lesser) destinations and it makes Disneyworld and The Fort a better experience for those of us who can.

You are quite welcome, laura-k.

As I've said in other threads, I will try to manage costs by trying to stay more in Tent or Full rather than the Preferreds I usually do. And travel at less expensive times of the year.

Disney has also gotten me out of my Orlando bubble and I've camped more around Florida and thrown in an MK day and/or brief Fort stay rather than making WDW my primary destination. Florida has great state parks generally speaking so I camped with the manatees once and did an MK day. I camped down in the Keys in Key Largo at John Pennekamp and stayed at FW briefly on the way home. This year I camped over at Jetty Park at Port Canaveral and day-tripped it over to the MK but went to three spring training baseball games. There is more out there than the Mouse, I have found.

As you point out, for you the DVC ownership gives you some options. Bank/Borrow/Rent along with adding on a brief Fort stay. I did a WDW hotel stay when DD was a Cast Member in 2018 (40% discount) at Caribbean Beach Resort and even at that price (no parking fee then) I was not impressed :confused3. I wanted Port Orleans Riverside but the CM discount was not available there on our dates. But you can move around more easily with DVC right? You can use your DVC point at other properties which gives you the opportunity for a new, fresh resort experience.

Normally WDW or Florida has been our March/April (spring) destination but next year I'm headed to Charleston with the camper for a week.

I don't begrudge Disney engaging in capitalistic behavior and the ol' cat-and-mouse chase (they are the cat and my wallet is the mouse) but I don't have to play that game. Being in the southeast, I'm considering going further from home in the future (more west) because there are lands to explore out there. :sail: Way across the mighty Mississip.

We have a lot of great posters here who help answer questions and share info which is why I hang out here. You get an odd bird now and then but I have found through past and future DISMeets and meeting folks at the Fort while on vacation that they are generally a good bunch.

WDW will always be there so I feel like I can always come back to it if/when I feel the need.

Thanks for your kind words,

Bama Ed

Last edited:
My son is in the college program right now as a lifeguard at Typhoon. We have went to Disney since 2005 like clockwork. My husband is military so I get those tickets. And, we pulled an RV if we didn't want the free dining when it was a really good deal in the past. Now the campsites are becoming so high. I have always figured out a way to get there at a really decent price but it will get worse.

We went for 2 nights to visit son this weekend and did not go to parks so I scheduled a DVC tour.
We are on the fence on the DVC thing or go with a new RV or both.
The guy asked me what would make us not come to Disney in the future. I told him if they keep nickling and diming us. I told him the parking, the possible FP purchase instead of being included, the smaller food portions, etc...
Not that he probably really cared.
That is also what I saw this time. We ate at a couple of places this weekend and portion size has really decreased. My husband was still hungry.

I love love the Fort and Disney. They can definitely do what they want. But, it doesn't make it less sad.

Thanks for the analysis @bama_ed ! Those annualized figures made me clutch my pearls!

Quite honestly, if it weren't for the ability to RV at WDW with our dogs, I think our Fort days would be over pretty much forever. Still contemplating a Christmas trip for 2020, but I just don't know if I see the value. We just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii, and really, we fell in love. I'll still always have a special place in my heart for the mouse, but he's moving into a position of convenience (and of course nostalgia) for me. WDW is a 3 hour flight or 24 hour drive with the ability to bring our fur boys, that definitely has a draw! But dollar for dollar (and dog sitting fees aside), we spent 2 weeks in Hawaii between two islands doing a multitude of activities for about what we'd spend for a week at WDW...and I appreciated the fact that many of our vacation dollars went to mom and pop establishments.

All that said, up here in the northeast, a lot of the big boy camping resorts are right around $100 a night now, if not more, especially around holidays...so there's that comparison to ponder on too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter