All the questions, need all of your advice please!

mom25kiddos

Mouseketeer
We are going to CA from April 16-24, with a primary focus of DL. We are staying at Newport Beach-I know this is far and requires a drive-the rationale is that we are a family of 7 (five kids ages 9-18), and a tight hotel set up for over a week is a lot of togetherness. The Newport Beach Villas offer a better set up for us making the drive worth it. We have done VRBO in Anaheim before, but didn't love the area. My plan is 4 day, park hoppers with Genie+ tickets. We are not typically rope droppers (I know, gasp, but it is vacation and getting five kids anywhere is a lot), and are generally content with 'good enough'-we don't need to see and do it all, but rather just enjoy what works. We will lightening lane (pay to ride) in both parks, if available. Our must dos would be Galaxy's Edge, Avengers Campus, and Guardians of the Galaxy, everything else is a bonus. Here are some, of my many questions ;) All advice is appreciated.

1. We have greatly debated the VIP tour, I am leaning towards no, and using the funds for other experiences (based on advice here)-any recommendations on what you would choose? Recognizing our chances are slim for reservations for meals with our group size and dates. I have Mouse Dining for a table for 4 (I know we will never get 7) at Oga's, but haven't struck gold yet.
2. Which crowd calendar do you trust/like? I have seen very different predictions for our dates (to help choose which 4 days we go), usually use touring plans for WDW, but not sure it is best here too?
3. Was thinking of doing alternate days-one day Disney, one day something else-thoughts? do you find that is better or do you prefer 4 solid days?
4. Universal-super on the fence here-debating the VIP tour-have a kiddo that is very into Harry Potter but wondering if we wait for Orlando for that? She has not been to either (her older siblings have been to Orlando Universal). Or thoughts for other non-disney days, will do the beach and hang out at Newport (water will be cold, which is fine they don't need to swim, just seeing it is cool for us)
5. One of my son's is very into Marvel, very, very lol. Any special experiences, souvenirs etc. the way there is for Star Wars?
6. my girls are kind of past the princess stage, my sons are trying to get them into Star wars, but anything else you would recommend for tween girls? They are pretty happy with the rides and such, but just thinking the boys have identified so many must-dos, want a couple for the girls.

Thanks for your advice!

We are going to CA from April 16-24, with a primary focus of DL. We are staying at Newport Beach-I know this is far and requires a drive-the rationale is that we are a family of 7 (five kids ages 9-18), and a tight hotel set up for over a week is a lot of togetherness. The Newport Beach Villas offer a better set up for us making the drive worth it. We have done VRBO in Anaheim before, but didn't love the area. My plan is 4 day, park hoppers with Genie+ tickets. We are not typically rope droppers (I know, gasp, but it is vacation and getting five kids anywhere is a lot), and are generally content with 'good enough'-we don't need to see and do it all, but rather just enjoy what works. We will lightening lane (pay to ride) in both parks, if available. Our must dos would be Galaxy's Edge, Avengers Campus, and Guardians of the Galaxy, everything else is a bonus. Here are some, of my many questions ;) All advice is appreciated.

1. We have greatly debated the VIP tour, I am leaning towards no, and using the funds for other experiences (based on advice here)-any recommendations on what you would choose? Recognizing our chances are slim for reservations for meals with our group size and dates. I have Mouse Dining for a table for 4 (I know we will never get 7) at Oga's, but haven't struck gold yet.
2. Which crowd calendar do you trust/like? I have seen very different predictions for our dates (to help choose which 4 days we go), usually use touring plans for WDW, but not sure it is best here too?
3. Was thinking of doing alternate days-one day Disney, one day something else-thoughts? do you find that is better or do you prefer 4 solid days?
4. Universal-super on the fence here-debating the VIP tour-have a kiddo that is very into Harry Potter but wondering if we wait for Orlando for that? She has not been to either (her older siblings have been to Orlando Universal). Or thoughts for other non-disney days, will do the beach and hang out at Newport (water will be cold, which is fine they don't need to swim, just seeing it is cool for us)
5. One of my son's is very into Marvel, very, very lol. Any special experiences, souvenirs etc. the way there is for Star Wars?
6. my girls are kind of past the princess stage, my sons are trying to get them into Star wars, but anything else you would recommend for tween girls? They are pretty happy with the rides and such, but just thinking the boys have identified so many must-dos, want a couple for the girls.

Thanks for your advice!
1. Instead of a VIP tour, maybe you should book a light saber building experience.
2. I do not trust crowd calendars. Here is my crowd calendar: crowded to very crowded.
3. My wife block experiences. We have never alternated Disney to a different experience day to day.
4. No comment on Universal. Lack knowledge to comment thoughtfully.
5. I'd recommend watching the Spiderman show located in the Avengers Campus. You can buy a special device to work with Web Slingers too. For instance, and Iron Man blaster.
6. Get your tween daughters into pin trading. It will end up costing you $1,000s. :) Lots of folks seem to enjoy buying and trading pins.

1. We have greatly debated the VIP tour, I am leaning towards no, and using the funds for other experiences (based on advice here)-any recommendations on what you would choose?

Skip the VIP tour and use the money for something else. I have no idea what your budget is, but have you considerded one of the packages that gets you better seats for one of the shows? I enjoyed the dining package for Fantasmic and the WOC desert party.

4. Universal-super on the fence here-debating the VIP tour-have a kiddo that is very into Harry Potter but wondering if we wait for Orlando for that?

If you have a kid that is super into Harry Potter, wait for Orlando. Having been to Universal Orlando, I can tell you that the Harry Potter sections are fantastic, and there is more than enough to do to fill a shorter trip (3-4 days is great for a more relaxed pace at Universal Orlando) adding in the other non-Harry Potter sections of the Universal Orlando parks. From what I have heard, Universal Hollywood isn't nearly as good, especially for a Harry Potter fan.

Have you asked the girls if there is any special they want to do? If you've given them the chance to identify must-dos and they haven't listed anything, you're fine. Maybe they will find something or learn about something while you are there.

Best of luck in planning your trip.

We decided not to do the VIP tour at Disney for our trip next week as I just couldn’t justify the price point when you don’t even get front of the line access. However I compromised with my wife and we are doing the VIP tour at Universal. I will report back on that when we return.

Personally, I tend to look at other things, like Park Reservation availability, ADR availability, and hotel room prices. But, basically, any time that schools are out is going to be crazy busy. Midweek will be slightly better.

If it were me, I'd wait for Orlando. Hollywood's HP is just a taste of it. The main draws for USH are the backlot tram tour and Jurassic World - pretty much everything else is in Orlando. (Orlando has a lot more HP.)

One wildcard for an HP fan is the WB Studio Tour in Burbank. They have some HP movie items/sets on display. I'm not entirely sure what's on display now, but it might be a spot to consider. (A few folks here indicate that they like that tour.)

Another wildcard possibility: the Academy Museum, the Peterson Automotive Museum, LACMA, and the La Brea Tar Pits are all (roughly) within walking distance on Wilshire. Some combination of those might make for a fun day. (If any of your kids like cars - the Peterson is pretty great. The Academy has a bunch of movie props, as well as the old Toy Story zoetrope that used to be at DCA. FYI - the Academy frequently sells out in advance on weekends and holidays.)

Personally, depending when/how you're arriving - I usually do things like that before or after Anaheim - for me, either on arrival day or departure day. Most of the fun Los Angeles stuff is not particularly close to Anaheim, and traffic back and forth can be a nightmare any day of the week. (I would personally do four straight days at Disney, but that's just me.)

There aren't any experiences like Savi's in Avengers Campus, but there are a bunch of fun shows that happen throughout the day. The Spider Man one has already been mentioned, but the Dr Strange one is also a lot of fun - and you'll likely need to get in line for it beforehand (which isn't obvious at first glance), since it has its own space that partly blocks views from outside.

The Web Slinger toys have been mentioned - though I would personally wait to see how they feel about the ride before diving into any of that, unless they immediately show interest. (From what folks have said - I think those might be more fun for kids as imaginary play than for the ride itself.)

The real highlight item in Avengers Campus is the Spider-Bots, especially the remote controlled one. I think they're only sold at DLR. It's a little pricey, but that would be the "lightsaber" of the Marvel stuff.

As I expected you have all given me great advice, thank you! Are the dessert parties and such going right now? that might be enough to please my VIP husband without doing a full tour, lol

One wildcard for an HP fan is the WB Studio Tour in Burbank. They have some HP movie items/sets on display. I'm not entirely sure what's on display now, but it might be a spot to consider. (A few folks here indicate that they like that tour.)

If you have a Harry Potter, fan consider doing the Warner Brothers Studio Tour instead of Universal Hollywood. It's a way for the Harry Potter to get his or her fix in without having to wait for the Orlando trip.

I wouldn’t do the VIP tour but I would instead stay in a larger room in the area maybe even onsite.

The Disneyland Resort Backlot Premiere Shop in CA is all Marvel right now and it has really cool merchandise and theming. It is definitely cool to look around.

I really like Universal Hollywood. They have a great backlot tour and Wizarding World is great to me. I haven’t been to Orlando so can’t compare. I am waiting for the Super Nintendo Land to open to go back. You usually can do it all in a day or less.

Last edited:
Great advice here re: VIP tour vs dining packages for shows - I definitely second the recommendation to use for shows. We found Genie+ for our fam of 5 to be very doable. Also for dining reservations we had friends meet up with us and had parties of 8 and 10, and were able to find last minute reservations so don’t give up hope.

As a mom of 3 boys who are huge into Harry Potter, wait for Orlando. We did Universal Hollywood on our Dec trip because we weren‘t able to ride Forbidden Journey when we were in Florida. There is something so different and yes, magical, about seeing Diagon Alley, then hopping on the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade. Night and day experiences. The WB tour a PP mentioned would likley appeal to everyone in your party.

Since you are driving back and forth you may want to alternate days. If only to get more sleep and rest your feet.

Only other thing I can think for teenage girls is the spa at the Grand Californian is open to non hotel guests. A friend and I are booking it for our April trip.

So whatever the worst you’re thinking crowds will be it’s not enough. You’re traveling over not only Easter but the convergence of Dapper Days and the return of beloved shows WOC and Disneyland Forever Fireworks -not seen since Covid started- and MSEP which hasn’t been seen since 2019 and it will have a brand new float. Since aren’t going to rope drop you will have no morning advantage on anything, and you need to leave the park early enough to drive back to Newport without the driver being exhausted so your hours in the parks will the busiest of the day. Yes, “Disney has capacity controls” but no one (except for select people who work for Disney) knows what those capacities will look like come April.

I’m going to counter others and say book the Disney VIP tour. Busiest times of day + busiest days of the season are when those pay off.

I would skip Universal since you can do Orlando. Far better Harry Potter offerings in Orlando.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice here, but my take on HP (we've done both) is that it is worth doing at Universal. Both my girls were big HP fans, and so that meant they were super thrilled to go to them regardless. We went to Orlando before LA, and they enjoyed both. Whether one is 'better' didn't really make a big difference to them. You can still go to to Orlando and if it is better you are no worse off for having done the other one :)
If it is likely to be busy at Disney, then a day at Universal on a tour will make nice break. You have lot of time, so make the most of it.
We have done the WB tour, and the sorting hat is the most HP thing there really. Again my girls really enjoyed this tour as well, so you could add it, but I wouldn't swap it for universal.. (our fave tour of that type is the Paramount VIP).
As for a block of days, I'd tend to break them up a bit. It's pretty tiring doing end to end days, so if you have the option to break it up a bit then take it. We normally stay on property so can rest in the afternoons but you'll be out all day, with a bit driving to do so maybe a couple of days first, and then see how you go?

I would do 2 park days, beach day, then 2 more park days. Your feet will appreciate it! I like the idea of some spa time for the girls. They could make Pandora bracelets at the shop in New Orleans Sq. It might be fun for them to Disneybound each day and take photos with the characters/rides that inspire their outfits. Have fun!

I would avoid April 23 and 24 (Saturday and Sunday), and possibly Friday April 22. Saturday and Sunday are Dapper Day weekend and will be insanely crowded. Additionally, some hot nighttime entertainment is returning starting April 22 (World of Color in DCA, as well as the Disneyland Forever fireworks show and the Main Street Elictrical Parade). People are going to mob the parks to see these shows. Add that to the Dapper Day crowds and I see a perfect storm of craziness and crowds.

On the other hand, if you WANT to see those things you might plan for those days and prepare for insane crowds. I would definitely consider a package that provides easy seating if you’re trying to view one or more of those shows (or plan on hours or staking out a spot.

Edited to add: After posting I saw that @gottalovepluto already mentioned this. It really will be CRAZY weekend. Do NOT underestimate local Disney fans who have not had great Disney nighttime entertainment in years. It will be nuts.

4/22 the shows start so those will be more crowded times.
I cannot imagine a Disney heavy trip staying in upside of walking distance. I’d stay near Disneyland home2suites, if it fits your family. I think residence inn convention may be the only one that can fit 7. I’ll assume 16th is arrival day and Saturday’s are really busy. So I’d go Sunday, Monday. Tuesday off. Wednesday, Thursday and head to the hotel in Newport that night for the rest of your trip and other exploring.

If you want to catch the nighttime shows you need to go Friday though and I’d have a different plan.

park days Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

For reservations use your husbands account. You can book one for 4 under you and another for 5 under him.

Personally I’m not a fan of Universal Hollywood.

You can also elect to join dapper days festivities. They on site hotels have special discount rates at that time.

So whatever the worst you’re thinking crowds will be it’s not enough. You’re traveling over not only Easter but the convergence of Dapper Days and the return of beloved shows WOC and Disneyland Forever Fireworks -not seen since Covid started- and MSEP which hasn’t been seen since 2019 and it will have a brand new float. Since aren’t going to rope drop you will have no morning advantage on anything, and you need to leave the park early enough to drive back to Newport without the driver being exhausted so your hours in the parks will the busiest of the day. Yes, “Disney has capacity controls” but no one (except for select people who work for Disney) knows what those capacities will look like come April.

I’m going to counter others and say book the Disney VIP tour. Busiest times of day + busiest days of the season are when those pay off.

I would skip Universal since you can do Orlando. Far better Harry Potter offerings in Orlando.
This is my husbands argument on the VIP tour-he isn't all worried about tired driving (we drive a lot)-but the busy factor makes him want the tour-the problem is I am choking on the price, lol

I would recommend against the VIP tour. We did it the day after President's Day. It took an hour and a half to do the first three rides (Rise of the Resistance, Millennium Falcon, and Big Thunder Mountain.) My daughter was disappointed that we had to wait in the Lightning Lanes for those rides, and the lines were fairly long. Genie+ would have given us the same access, though we would be at the mercy of the next available LL time. Fantasyland was cool since there is a side entrance to the lines that allowed us to skip the entire line. We did all of FL in about an hour or so. Overall, it is a nice experience but when contrasted to the price, it is not a good value on your money.

We've stayed at Marriott Newport Coast Villas several times and once we went for a day to DL. We thought "it's only a 30 minute drive to DL so we should be fine starting at 7:00 to get there for opening". But you also need to allow another 30 min for parking and getting to the front gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter