Allegiant flying to MCO again

loveswdw

DIS Veteran
This morning Allegiant announced three routes that will be flying to MCO, not SFB. Allentown, Knoxville and Asheville will have flights to MCO. Closer to WDW but much larger airport. I know many people prefer the smaller airports vs MCO which seems to always be a madhouse anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 9
Our local airport is on that list, and they are going to be flying to both now. Sanford still every day during the summer and MCO on select days to start. But I'm excited as transportation from MCO with kids is much easier.

Many of the airlines will add/modify routes all during the year. They are also a few newer airlines that just setup shop within the last year or so. I generally find it a good idea to check around when planning air travel since you might have additional choices that weren't available last time you traveled.

If you do plan to save a few dollars by flying into Sanford, make sure to consider the cost/availability of ground transportation options. Some older threads on that where some only looked at the cost of airline tickets and later on realized the added ground transportation costs ate up all of that 'savings'.

Give yourself plenty of flexibility with your schedule if you fly Allegiant. I think I've flown with them 4 times and only one of those times was the flight even remotely on time. That includes flying the first flight of the day on New Year's morning when we were delayed a couple of hours because the pilot and head stewardess had not arrived at the airport - whatever they were up to 🙄

Well IMHO I think the airport you fly out of can play a role in your experience with Allegiant. I have flown many times from Allentown Pa to Sanford FL and only had one serious delay in Sanford. Allentown became a home base hub for Allegiant a few years ago which means 2 planes are there ready to go each day and also has a dedicated Allentown crew so I think that really helps. Plus Sanford is a very popular route here and flys usually every day. My husband and I flew Allentown to Sanford last month and including seat selection had a really good fare. We also saved money by going to the airport to book our flights. Also thanks to the Military Benefit program we got 2 checked bags free because my husband is a veteran. Other airlines do fly into MCO but involve layovers and were alot more. So for us Allegiant is the best choice. And our Uber experience to Disney and back was also very good. Uber total cost including tips was 143.00. I know this may not be the best choice for everyone but for us Allegiant is the best value and option when headed to Florida especially Disney. Oh and I did check the Allentown to MCO route for mid may to mid August and they only fly Sunday and Thursday right now so for now we will be sticking with Sanford.

i flew allegiant on the first flight of out PIT to SFB.

It was late

we sat on tarmac for 45 minutes after pulling away from the gate

we did get a free commerative beach towel :)

not a fan of:

the few weekly fights on that route,

the drive from SFB to WDW…especially the fog that can form after passing MCO on 417 in the am, or

the limited rental car options that can be far pricer than out of MCO

that said, would LOVE to see them fly into MCO From our market :wizard: especially as the military benefit is a real winner.

i flew allegiant on the first flight of out PIT to SFB.

It was late

we sat on tarmac for 45 minutes after pulling away from the gate

we did get a free commerative beach towel :)

not a fan of:

the few weekly fights on that route,

the drive from SFB to WDW…especially the fog that can form after passing MCO on 417 in the am, or

the limited rental car options that can be far pricer than out of MCO

that said, would LOVE to see them fly into MCO From our market :wizard: especially as the military benefit is a real winner.
Sorry your experience with Allegiant wasn't the best and sounds like an MCO route from PIT would be a good option. I know I am fortunate that Allegiant flys from Allentown to Sanford usually every day with the exception of some Tuesdays now and then so I admit I am spoiled and have never had a problem booking the flights I wanted and I hope that luck continues. I know I may be in the minority here but my Allegiant experiences have been good so far and I have had many flights with them. I also like being able to fly out of smaller airports.

Well IMHO I think the airport you fly out of can play a role in your experience with Allegiant. I have flown many times from Allentown Pa to Sanford FL and only had one serious delay in Sanford. Allentown became a home base hub for Allegiant a few years ago which means 2 planes are there ready to go each day and also has a dedicated Allentown crew so I think that really helps. Plus Sanford is a very popular route here and flys usually every day. My husband and I flew Allentown to Sanford last month and including seat selection had a really good fare. We also saved money by going to the airport to book our flights. Also thanks to the Military Benefit program we got 2 checked bags free because my husband is a veteran. Other airlines do fly into MCO but involve layovers and were alot more. So for us Allegiant is the best choice. And our Uber experience to Disney and back was also very good. Uber total cost including tips was 143.00. I know this may not be the best choice for everyone but for us Allegiant is the best value and option when headed to Florida especially Disney. Oh and I did check the Allentown to MCO route for mid may to mid August and they only fly Sunday and Thursday right now so for now we will be sticking with Sanford.
My wife flys back to ABE from Sanford every month and a half. It’s an extra 25 minutes past MCO for us but it takes that long just to find a parking spot at MCO. You pull into Sanford, park, walk into the airport, up the escalator, through security and have a seat at your gate. Takes 15 minutes tops. Same way flying out of ABE into Sanford.
Over the fourty, fifty some flights, was delayed two hours once. Every once in awhile your delayed a few minutes but all in all, excellent.
Till you fight the traffic getting to Newark or Philly. Fight your way around those airports.
She flys during the week and always gets the first flight out in both directions.
She calls it the Greyhound of the sky’s. Lol. But it’s a two hour flight, dont need much more then a seat and a restroom. I enjoy flying back and fourth to the Lehigh Valley.

My wife flys back to ABE from Sanford every month and a half. It’s an extra 25 minutes past MCO for us but it takes that long just to find a parking spot at MCO. You pull into Sanford, park, walk into the airport, up the escalator, through security and have a seat at your gate. Takes 15 minutes tops. Same way flying out of ABE into Sanford.
Over the fourty, fifty some flights, was delayed two hours once. Every once in awhile your delayed a few minutes but all in all, excellent.
Till you fight the traffic getting to Newark or Philly. Fight your way around those airports.
She flys during the week and always gets the first flight out in both directions.
She calls it the Greyhound of the sky’s. Lol. But it’s a two hour flight, dont need much more then a seat and a restroom. I enjoy flying back and fourth to the Lehigh Valley.
Agree with all of this. And glad I am not alone on my positive Allegiant experiences.

Agree with all of this. And glad I am not alone on my positive Allegiant experiences.
The one time my wife’s work wanted her to fly into the Lehigh Valley, their office is in the Lehigh Valley. If the company pays for it, you have to fly on one of their approved airlines, from an approved airport . United/Newark was the closest option. She flew into Newark from Orlando, the airline bussed her to ABE! It was the same going back. Lol.
It cost the company more money one way then if she would have just flown Sanford to ABE and back including long term parking at Sanford with Allegiant. Lol She didn’t care, she was getting paid. Lol
We have family in Lehigh Valley so she stays with them. She also has clothes and everything she needs there so she just flys with a small backpack with a laptop. I just have a carry on, I can live a week out of a Pigglie Wiggle bag. Lol
Baggage pick up in both locations is alot easier then the bigger airport.

We fly out of ABE to Sanford about 3 times a year and only once (knock on wood) we encountered a minor problem and that was no fault of the airline. It was due to weather so we took a small detour and landed at another airport and waited it out and was successful on getting us home. We have always had a fantastic crew both ways. At first I was happy that Allegiant was heading back to MCO but with all the construction and flight delays there, I prefer Sanford as it reminds me of ABE. Easy in and easy out. I also checked for flights the end of May and right now the schedule doesn't work for us.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience Allegiant Allentown to Sanford! We visit WDW 2 times each year and most of the time drive 2.5 hours to BWI so we can fly into MCO. After reading this thread we purchased tickets ABE - SFB. We are really excited to test out these smaller airports.

I’ve flown out of a smaller airport on Allegiant into SFB about a dozen times. They have generally been on time.

The only drawback is flights are available just twice a week, so not as much flexibility.

I don’t have experience with MCO, but would probably still refer the smaller airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter