Allergic to our new dog.

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
We have had dogs in our home for years and years. I have never had any problems with them. I adore dogs. On Mother's Day we had to put our yellow Lab Echo down. She had liver cancer, and fought hard for almost 3 years. She left behind a very sad Beagle, who goes by Elliott. We have been a 2 dog home for a long time, and I thought Elliott needed a friend, so when I saw this sad hound face staring at me from Petfinder, I had to have her.

We drove an hour North from our house to get Lola. We have had her for only 2 weeks, and it turns out I am allergic to her. I break out in hives if she brushes up against my skin. I was at the ER last weekend, after riding in the car with her. I don't know what to do. She is such a love. And you can tell she has not had a good life, she is so scared of noises. Loud birds, the lawnmower, the vacuum. She is desperate for love and attention, she hates to be alone. If you are in a room and leave, she gets up and follows.

I don't know what to do. Has anyone here lived with a dog they are allergic to? My dad (who I live with) is already so attached to her. I don't know if the shelter would take her back, and it will break my heart to have to do so. I can't imagine having to drive with her in the car for an hour, knowing I was dumping her back at the shelter.

Any advice? We are scheduled to take her to the vet for her first checkup Monday. Think they will have any way to help? I have never been allergic to a dog before, and I can't believe this is happening.

Definitely ask the vet. I know someone who fosters cats even though he is allergic to them. He takes something to control his allergies so it might be worth looking into.

I think you need to try to get your new dog placed in a loving home with people who are not allergic to her. The longer you put this off, the more difficult it will be.

Is it possible your allergic to something she was washed with? seems odd your all of a sudden allergic to jsut this dog. I am personaly allergic to dog saliva and will break out in hives if licked. I just used alot of claritan or benedrill if it happened bad. Ask the vet what you ahve for options also.

Do you think that you may be allergic to something artificial on the dog, rather than the dog itself? Maybe, the flea treatment used by the rescue centre or even shampoo they used. Just guessing but maybe it’s worth discussing with your vet.

Is it possible your allergic to something she was washed with? seems odd your all of a sudden allergic to jsut this dog. I am personaly allergic to dog saliva and will break out in hives if licked. I just used alot of claritan or benedrill if it happened bad. Ask the vet what you ahve for options also.
Great minds😂.

So I have a mild dog allergy. Whenever I am around a new dog I feel a little funny. If I pet them I'll get small hives on my wrist or something like that. This happens with every dog I have had and it goes away within a few weeks. If someone knows brings their dog over, then, even though I have dogs of my own, the new dog will cause the same reaction.

Yet, I've never had to go to the ER or even close to it. That's concerning. Were you experiencing breathing problems?

I'm not sure what to advise. I know I couldn't spend the rest of my life on Zyrtec or Claritin because I'm sensitive to meds but many people do it.

Did the dog come from a shelter or a rescue? If it's a reputable rescue I wouldn't get too upset. Maybe they can put her in a foster home rather than in a shelter situation. That's what most rescues do where I am.

I feel so bad for you. I've got one dog and am considering another as a "friend" for this dog as I think she'd do well and if we were close by, I'd give it a try.

Give it some time. I live with two dogs and neither of them bother me anymore. When I got each of them, I had hives when I touched them. I notice that other people’s dogs give me hives too, but if I spend enough time with them, it goes away. I’m still allergic to cats no matter what though.

Have you tried giving her a bath? (Or someone giving her a bath?) Hard to say if it’s the fur or the saliva or both. I think the shelter will understand if it doesn’t work out, but I can understand your angst about it. :hug: I would talk to both your vet and your PCP to see if there’s any hope. Best of luck to you.

Agree with the PPs. Before I did something drastic, I would have her professionally groomed--bath, nails, brushing, the works. If she is fearful, find a mobile groomer to come to your home, or ask vet for some anxiety meds just to get her thru the grooming (it's sometimes more kind to medicate them then for them to be afraid). I take a zyrtec every day for environmental allergies, so it wouldn't bother me to take something for a dog allergy if he was important to the family. So maybe a visit to your own pcp to see what they say. Good luck--you have a kind heart.

You might also get an allergy test. It might be something else, like a new cleaner or something that's now growing in your yard. It is possible for a person to develop allergies, but to assume it's the dog without confirmation might be jumping the gun. Also, sometimes it's a combination of things. Like, you may have always been allergic to dogs, but with Covid stress, for example, combined, it's affecting you now.

If, however, in the end, you find out it's the dog, you might have to rehome both dogs. I can't imagine it's only the one, unless her skin is that different from all the others. Also, as others have said, check with the vet in case it's a product the dog has used or even a reaction to special food enzymes, etc. You never know and I hope it all works out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter