Allergy business card for Chefs a good idea?

PsychoCelloChica

Mouseketeer
My wife and I and our closest couple friends are doing 10 days in January. I know we'll have a great time, but 3 of us have food allergies/oral allergy syndrome trigger foods of varying severity and I'd like to minimize the odds of us passed out on Benadryl and missing precious time.

H: soy protein, cilantro, shrimp, tree nuts, most raw fruits and vegetables
J: alliums (severe reaction to fresh/raw garlic, moderate reaction to garlic powder or garlic salt, mild discomfort with raw or lightly cooked onions/shallots)
K: raw or lightly cooked tomatoes and pineapple

It sounds terrible, but we're all really good at evaluating menus to stay away from our trigger foods... hidden soy and garlic are the hard things to avoid.

When we eat out together, it's sometimes overwhelming for the server/chef to remember all of them. So, I had an idea to print up little business cards with our names and allergies to hand to the server/chef.

Good idea? Or will I look like a pompous lunatic?

My wife and I and our closest couple friends are doing 10 days in January. I know we'll have a great time, but 3 of us have food allergies/oral allergy syndrome trigger foods of varying severity and I'd like to minimize the odds of us passed out on Benadryl and missing precious time.

H: soy protein, cilantro, shrimp, tree nuts, most raw fruits and vegetables
J: alliums (severe reaction to fresh/raw garlic, moderate reaction to garlic powder or garlic salt, mild discomfort with raw or lightly cooked onions/shallots)
K: raw or lightly cooked tomatoes and pineapple

It sounds terrible, but we're all really good at evaluating menus to stay away from our trigger foods... hidden soy and garlic are the hard things to avoid.

When we eat out together, it's sometimes overwhelming for the server/chef to remember all of them. So, I had an idea to print up little business cards with our names and allergies to hand to the server/chef.

Good idea? Or will I look like a pompous lunatic?
Each time we have eaten at a ts location the chef has come to our table with a note pad and has made notes about the allergy and has gone over the menu with DH. I would assume that the cards could be helpful for the chef. It would limit the time they have to take notes and would insure they did not leave anything off.

I think it's a good idea. I think you would look prepared and considerate, not pompous!

1) Yep.
2) Always a good idea to spell things out for the kitchen staff.
3) It helps in the planning, and a good cross-check for them before serving.

I would contact special diets and fill out the form to email them once you have all your reservations set. Cards are also helpful but the chefs knowing before hand can be really helpful to them.

I always write my allergies on index cards to give to the chefs at TS and the chefs/managers at the QS restaurants. I have 21 allergies (not including raw fruits and vegetables) and they are always so appreciative about it. It really helps them to make sure that nothing was missed or overlooked. And for me, it makes things much faster. At the TS instead of me having to list the allergies they just look over the list and than we talk about what I would like.

It makes it much less stressful for me too. In August almost every chef said they wish everyone with multiple allergies would do it.

I avoid over 40 foods due to diagnosed allergies and intolerances. I print out cards of all the foods i must avoid for the chefs and they often keep the card while preparing the meal and then return it after. They've never seemed to think I was crazy; I think when there is a lot to remember that they probably appreciate it!

Thanks so much everyone! I'm definitely going to do it, just for my own peace of mind. I'm the one with the fewest allergies of the three of us, but I'm also the 'planner' for our trip, and I feel almost obsessively responsible for everything.

DS is allergic to 6 of the top 8, plus sunflower. I made little business card size papers with a list of his allergies. They were very much appreciated and helpful! It can get loud and hectic and it is easier to hand off the card and have a discussion about it than it is to yell the list of allergies and figure it out. I would highly encourage it, especially with numerous people having allergies to different things. We had an excellent experience this past January and I can't wait to take DS back! Disney is the only place we've ever felt comfortable eating out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter