• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Allergy Friendly Restaurants

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi there! We're hoping to head out on a trip to California next fall (fingers crossed!). We'll be spending two days at Disney and another 3 days visiting San Diego, maybe Universal, etc. My daughters have severe food allergies (dairy, egg, wheat, peanut) and I'm curious if anyone can recommend allergy-friendly restaurants at Disney, Universal, and just in the general area for when we're out and about. We don't eat out at home- only at Disney World! So I'm a bit anxious and hoping we can find some good spots. Thanks so much :)

Disneyland is just as good at accommodating allergies as WDW, you'll be good with 'in park' dining just as you are at WDW. You make your reservations online and annotate allergies just like at WDW. For 'walk-up' dining just ask the first CM you see to speak to a chef or the manager, again just like WDW. Downtown Disney can be trickier since many of the eateries are non-Disney owned (like Disney Springs).

I'm Celiac and only have to worry about gluten, so I can't give specific recommendations for your daughters' multiple allergies. What I've done in the past is try to find the allergy menus online and make decisions based on that.

You can always email the Dietary team. Their email used to be on the DL website but I can see that it's been removed. I think the email is
Special.Diets@Disneyland.com but it's been a few years! If all else fails, call Guest Services and ask to speak to a Dietary Team member.

My kids have multiple allergies, but they are not serious. More of a gastrointestinal discomfort.
We have always found food at the restaurants at DLR, even walk up. If you look on the app you can see the allergy options at each restaurant.

I have a son with multiple allergies and we don't eat out at home either. Disneyland is one of the only places he can eat at. We usually bring one meal in to make it easier (lunch) and we buy dinner there. All the sit down restaurants can accommodate you (just talk to the chef) and mark it on your dinner reservations when you make them. We usually do quick service though --look at the mobile app, many of the restaurants will have an allergy menu--they don't do multiple allergies (just a gluten free menu or an egg free menu ) but looking at it will give you a sense of what you can get (toggling back and forth between the menus). Galactic Grill in DL always has gluten free fries and a hamburger (but the bun has egg). At French Market, there is a gluten free, egg free, nut free (need to check dairy) chicken dish that he ate this summer when we were there. Those are the meals I remember from DL but I know there are others. Over at CA, we were able to eat at Flos V8, Smokejumpers (again burgers and fries type of food) and at the Wharf area, there is an Asian restaurant with a gluten free egg, nut free teriyaki chicken and rice. There is a Mexican restaurant with tacos he could eat (ask for no cheese). More restaurants have opened up since we've gone earlier this summer so I think you will have more options now (a good chunk of restaurants were still closed when we went). I try to mobile order but if you aren't sure of what you can get, just go to one of the windows and ask, they will bring a chef out to speak with you.

Your allergens fall Under the top 8 and therefore clearly labeled.

We have had better luck at sit down restaurants where we can indicate the allergies and the server is always accommodating. The only time we have had the chef or manager come to us are buffets and ice cream. We actually don’t like buffets and usually avoid.

But buffets, are unfortunately where the character dining is at. Plaza Inn and the one at Paradise Pier (now closed.) I have heard that some people have luck where they make your dish to order. But we didn’t experience that and they just suggested the safe items. But cross contamination is always a concern. (we are Treenut and sesame)

at clarebelle’s in CA (and Gibson Girl at DL) they took the order separately and made sure it was a clean scoop. Ghiradelli’s they once accommodated for a simple ice cream scoop but not shakes

My daughter’s palate has since expanded beyond chicken tenders and Mac n Cheese. I’ve tried inquiring about Sesame at other places (via chat, PlanDisney, Guess Services) but have yet to hear back. I will try the email above. The top 8 allergens are clearly labeled and some restaurants list them in their App menus. But not much luck for Sesame.

All service restaurants have allergy menus. Carthay Circle even cooked a dish without the marinade just in case. Quick service is tricky. I’d definitely check out the menu online. They do have a binder with allergens/ingredients if needed. But it cannot be done with mobile ordering. I would pick on non busy time to have my meal.

there are also snacks to purchase at shops. But I found that they are mostly gluten free friendly but not peanut or treenut safe. (It’s the vague “may contain” or “at a facility that processes…”

I can warn that Pym’s kitchen has peanut. (We can have peanut but not treenut. But they lump them together)

many of the macaron specials actually have cookies and even peanut butter. So watch out for those

Jolly Bakery seems to have an allergy friendly menu. We have never tried but may check out

Last edited:
I also found a blog (Google teen guide to buy allergy Disneyland) where they post a photo of the allergy menus. I wish this was on the Disney website! But it’s dated 2019. But very helpful to see!

At a buffet my understanding is that you can 'walk the line' with a chef or kitchen manager and they will point out what you can eat then they will make up a 'safe' plate in the back for you. I haven't tried this because Disney's buffets are too darn expensive. Not paying $30-$40 for what would amount to $20 worth of food (based on how much I usually eat).

I have a son with multiple allergies and we don't eat out at home either. Disneyland is one of the only places he can eat at. We usually bring one meal in to make it easier (lunch) and we buy dinner there. All the sit down restaurants can accommodate you (just talk to the chef) and mark it on your dinner reservations when you make them. We usually do quick service though --look at the mobile app, many of the restaurants will have an allergy menu--they don't do multiple allergies (just a gluten free menu or an egg free menu ) but looking at it will give you a sense of what you can get (toggling back and forth between the menus). Galactic Grill in DL always has gluten free fries and a hamburger (but the bun has egg). At French Market, there is a gluten free, egg free, nut free (need to check dairy) chicken dish that he ate this summer when we were there. Those are the meals I remember from DL but I know there are others. Over at CA, we were able to eat at Flos V8, Smokejumpers (again burgers and fries type of food) and at the Wharf area, there is an Asian restaurant with a gluten free egg, nut free teriyaki chicken and rice. There is a Mexican restaurant with tacos he could eat (ask for no cheese). More restaurants have opened up since we've gone earlier this summer so I think you will have more options now (a good chunk of restaurants were still closed when we went). I try to mobile order but if you aren't sure of what you can get, just go to one of the windows and ask, they will bring a chef out to speak with you.
This is great, thank so much!

Thanks everyone! It sounds more similar to Disney World than I thought it was going to be, which is fantastic. I really appreciate the help :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter