Alligator Attack on Hilton Head Island

I was reading about this and I wondered too. I've seen alligators in the lagoons all around HHI. However, in all 12+ trips, I've never seen an alligator near the resort. Still, I'm wondering if the resort will be pressured into putting up fencing, like they have in Florida. Frankly I hope not.

Besides, one article I read said that the attack occurred at a lagoon near a golf course. About 90% (or more) of the alligators we've seen have been in the lagoons on or around golf courses on HHI.

I just read the article on cnn’s website. How awful! And a woman was killed in Florida in June walking along a lagoon with her dogs. I was thinking about the marsh areas at Hilton Head as well.

I was reading about this and I wondered too. I've seen alligators in the lagoons all around HHI. However, in all 12+ trips, I've never seen an alligator near the resort. Still, I'm wondering if the resort will be pressured into putting up fencing, like they have in Florida. Frankly I hope not.

Besides, one article I read said that the attack occurred at a lagoon near a golf course. About 90% (or more) of the alligators we've seen have been in the lagoons on or around golf courses on HHI.
Disney is surrounded by a saltwater marsh. I’m wondering if the ones you saw around the golf courses were freshwater. There’re all kinds in those. We took the tour to Pinckney Island where we saw bunches in the freshwater pond. If it’s happening in the freshwaters, I wouldn’t worry too much about something happening around the DVC resort since it’s saltwater. But it does make me think that Disney might do something just to be safe.

I know this is not at the HHI DVC resort, but it is right up the road. Very scary! I'd be interested to find out if it was a freshwater or a saltwater lagoon. Alligators in saltwater are pretty rare, but they can come into the marsh if they have parasites. I wonder if this will affect the DVC resort in any way.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/2...er-into-south-carolina-lagoon-police-say.html

I saw this. Just so horrific! And apparently only the 2nd death in SC by a gator?? At least that is what I read...

Living in central FL, this is what I know about gators: They can be ANYWHERE, in any body of water, including backyard pools sometimes :scared1: . They can lay so, SO still that even if you are looking for them, it's like your brain doesn't see them for a while as there is zero movement. I have personally had this experience once soon after I moved here and there was a 6+ ft gator that had been reported and the trappers were here to capture it. I was walking on a sidewalk ABOVE the water, looking down toward the water line and amongst the cattails, and was stunned how close I got before I SAW the gator. And I was LOOKING. That kind of freaked me out.

You NEVER, EVER "stroll" along a water's edge. No matter how pretty the lake or pond, there is NO way I will walk along the water's edge. If you stay away from the water's edge, and always just keep an eye out (like I also do for snakes btw!), you will be fine. Gators can walk a good ways from water to get to another source, especially in mating season. I would not let this incident keep me from going to HH or anywhere else with gators, but one needs to be INFORMED and aware.

One of the biggest problems with gators and how they BECOME problems is that people FEED them. Or harass them. It is against FL law to do either. And yet I have watched people do this on numerous occasions, a few times with the hapless (being nice here) soul standing NEXT to a SIGN that states this FL law!!! Unbelievable!! >:( And it is this kind of interaction w/humans that causes gators to lose their fear of humans. And that is inviting tragedy. :sad2:

I know this is not at the HHI DVC resort, but it is right up the road. Very scary! I'd be interested to find out if it was a freshwater or a saltwater lagoon. Alligators in saltwater are pretty rare, but they can come into the marsh if they have parasites. I wonder if this will affect the DVC resort in any way.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/2...er-into-south-carolina-lagoon-police-say.html
This lagoon runs longways on the island between Wood Duck Road and Governor's road. I'd assume it's fresh water given it's location and the fact it's pretty inland as HHI goes. There are a bunch of gators on HHI. Likely not as common at DVC on HH given it's location but certainly in between there and the beach house are some potential areas of risk.

I have seen signs along the boardwalk on Pope Ave in Hilton Head warning about alligators, and warnings not to feed them. I decided not to take the walk that I initially thought would be lovely.

What a tragic happening.

Other articles say the alligator went for the dog, and she was trying to protect it. This is so terribly sad. Sending my prayers to her family, friends, and all her neighbors in Sea Pines.

Oh mercy! I had not read that. I saw she was walking her dog. That is precisely what happened with the lady that died here in FL the same way. She was also walking her dog by the water. So, so sad. And just plain horrific. :sad2:

If, as mentioned in the article, that is one of the lagoons along one of the Sea Pines golf courses, then it was most likely a fresh water lagoon (there are only a couple of holes total all courses that have salt water marshes next to the sea water and no one not playing the golf course can walk anywhere near those). I have played golf on the Sea Pines courses a number of times and often saw gators in the lagoons along the courses and on rarer occassions, one out of the water sitting next to a lagoon. Actually found one once about 9 feet long resting right next to the flagstick on one of the golf holes (and, yes, we avoided finishing that hole). Never saw one become aggressive and approach any golfers.

Last edited:
I live in Pawleys Island, SC. You just have to assume there's an alligator in any body of water. I don't ever get in our neighborhood pool without doing a full walk around it and observing the bottom. Alligators are frequently seen on the beach in the surf here. They travel between freshwater and the marshes/creeks and end up in the ocean. It's just a reality of living in this beautiful part of the world.

Disney is surrounded by a saltwater marsh. I’m wondering if the ones you saw around the golf courses were freshwater. There’re all kinds in those. We took the tour to Pinckney Island where we saw bunches in the freshwater pond. If it’s happening in the freshwaters, I wouldn’t worry too much about something happening around the DVC resort since it’s saltwater. But it does make me think that Disney might do something just to be safe.

Good point! Ironically, from what I hear, the little dog is OK.

I live in Pawleys Island, SC. You just have to assume there's an alligator in any body of water. I don't ever get in our neighborhood pool without doing a full walk around it and observing the bottom. Alligators are frequently seen on the beach in the surf here. They travel between freshwater and the marshes/creeks and end up in the ocean. It's just a reality of living in this beautiful part of the world.
Frequently??? The naturalist at the Disney resort told us it was very rare for them to be in saltwater. They might be there to rid themselves of parasites. If they are frequently there, I'm surprised Disney has marsh tours and kayaking. I hope these things don't end, but if alligators are frequently there, I'm afraid they might.

We go to HHI every 3 yrs but rent in Queens grant, Palmetto Dunes area. We r DVC and stayed their the first year but we found we could rent 3 br for the price of a 2 br at Disney. We were there last year in May and rent bikes because the beach is so much closer and the area is gorgeous! I decided to leave beach earlier then everyone else and as I'm riding over the many little bridges over the many lagoons there was a small alligator sunning himself on a rock! I stopped of course and took pictures but also realized I'm not in NY anymore and it's their habitat. I believe they're mainly in fresh water ponds, lake and rivers. But the nature on the Island is amazing and would hate to see any of it change! It's very sad what happened but I believe it wasn't a good choice to walk at the waters edge of a lagoon with her dog! I pray her family can get thru this and totally understand why she chose her dog over herself!

Frequently??? The naturalist at the Disney resort told us it was very rare for them to be in saltwater. They might be there to rid themselves of parasites. If they are frequently there, I'm surprised Disney has marsh tours and kayaking. I hope these things don't end, but if alligators are frequently there, I'm afraid they might.

I guess it depends on your definition of frequently. It happens multiple times a year that we know of -- because it shows up on social media around here. Often, the alligator is sick and has to be euthanized. They're not meant to be in saltwater.

When you are in their territory, you just have to be cautious. We have also seen a gator at the beach--a little more north of Hilton Head, near Charleston. It was where the salt water and the fresh water meet but was still a sandy beach where people were swimming!

Another thing to note: we visited Disney's HHI this May. The day before Mother's Day, my son got a little too much sun so we decided to skip the beach on Mother's Day and just putt-putt and explore the island. If he hadn't been sunburnt, we would have been right back at the beach. Unfortunately, that day there was a shark that bit a little boy outside the Disney beach house--he had to be airlifted out. Here is the article:

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article211074164.html

Weird thing though is that we didn't ever hear about it down there at HHI. We weren't watching the news and didn't ever hear or see anything posted about it. We found out about it from a friend who sent us the news link as we were driving home; she was like, "Isn't this where you stayed??" We were totally shocked. So I guess I'm saying, "Be cautious!" Gators and sharks are around.

Where I stay in Naples they are in the pond immediately at the back of the house. As soon as you head towards the pond, they swim away- very timid it seems.
And if you go to Rotunda, they are all over the place, on these little parks that abut the roads and canals. I saw very large ones there.
There's no need to worry about gators, just stay away from the water's edge.
Edit- this guy wouldn't worry about a few gators, or snapping turtles!

Last edited:
Where I stay in Naples they are in the pond immediately at the back of the house. As soon as you head towards the pond, they swim away- very timid it seems.
And if you go to Rotunda, they are all over the place, on these little parks that abut the roads and canals. I saw very large ones there.
This is what is scary to me. My DS22 and DS20 spend hours at the water's edge, day and night, fishing. I really haven't worried since they only fish saltwater while there. But if these creatures are in saltwater, too, it makes me more nervous.

I live on Marco Island and I read that there are some saltwater crocs over near Hammock Bay/Mainsail Drive . We have sharks in the Gulf (not too far from the beach) and Marco River. I haven't heard of any alligators anywhere on the island though. We did go to Shark Valley (Everglades) a while back and the gators are all over the walking path to the tower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter