Alligator dragged 2 year old into 7 seas lagoon

So unbelievably tragic I can't even imagine. We live by the beach and spend a lot of time there. Many times the no swimming sign is posted because there are no lifeguards on duty. We waded in the water up to our ankles with our children. If God forbid something happened, yes, we as parents would be responsible for our choice.

There is a difference between no swimming allowed signs and beware alligators signs - and I bet Disney is going to switch them.

Just to share one of the sign posts warning of crocs in Port Douglass Australia.
As you can see this is from a childrens playground, but with the sign I know not to let me kids even ankle deep in that water.

So unbelievably tragic I can't even imagine. We live by the beach and spend a lot of time there. Many times the no swimming sign is posted because there are no lifeguards on duty. We waded in the water up to our ankles with our children. If God forbid something happened, yes, we as parents would be responsible for our choice.

There is a difference between no swimming allowed signs and beware alligators signs - and I bet Disney is going to switch them.
Absolutely agree. How can you as a company say don't swim but then say come parasail?

They are no longer protected from hunting as there is now a hunting season for them in Florida.
Simply not true. Alligators are protected from almost all hunting -- even during hunting season. Google it.

I realize that no parent would think that a child wading in water would get snatched up by an alligator at Disney but we now know it can happen. I am sure that Disney will be making some changes in the near future. Let’s not blame the parents or Disney for this unfortunate accident. I am glad that they were able to finally locate the child’s body.

No matter how many signs (and the words on them) that Disney (or anyone) puts up, people tend to think they don’t apply to them. How many times have you seen people feeding the wildlife (ducks, birds, squirrels, etc.) at the parks and resorts even though there are signs telling guests not to feed the wildlife? It is not good for the wildlife and it causes the wildlife to become aggressive towards people who are sitting outside trying to eat. How many times have you witnessed children (and adults) putting their hands in the water when riding rides that are surrounded by water? Guests are warned against this, but again, they don’t think this warning is for them! Let’s take responsibility for our own actions.

Agree wholeheartedly!! So many people are blaming Disney for this (which boggles my mind), but yet where Disney does have very direct signs people still directly disobey.

13466296_10154491984913812_7769644044925464759_n.jpg

RIP sweet baby Lane.

Wow, please do not read this tread Family. We have shed a tear with you for young Lane. :sad1:

OMG, chills at seeing the picture of that sweet child. Prayers for him and prayers that the family can get through the unimaginable pain.

This tragedy and the tragedy of the lives lost and injured at Pulse makes me want to hug my children a little bit closer. I wish them peace.

A very small portion of the land is "MAN MADE". Most of it is in, or near to, it's original state.

Why are the Wetlands important? http://www.mbgnet.net/fresh/wetlands/why.htm

Why are gators important? http://www.esa.org/esablog/ecology-...and-its-importance-to-the-florida-everglades/

Gators are a protected species, and not just because people think they're cool, or don't love their children enough to kill them all off.

This lake was completely man made. It isn't comparable to a dammed reservoir.

Gators aren't really a protected species any more. Someone noted a limited amount of hunting, but any deemed a nuisance will be trapped and killed. They're not like marine mammals, which are protected species in the US even when they aren't listed as threatened or endangered.

My thoughts are with this family. Such a tragic accident. I can't even imagine having to get on airplane to go home after something so awful :( How do you even go home without your baby? There just aren't words for how unimaginably awful that would be.

I was talking to my husband about it earlier today. I pray to God they take an airplane there. I was imagining how do you even go home or onto the plane after something like that but then my heart sank as I thought, what if the drove there?! How would you ever drive home as just a family of three now all the way on that long drive to Nebraska?!
God I hope that their family can find some kind of peace and comfort to at least be strong enough for their other child.

This has been a horrible week in Orlando. There is nothing to be gained by arm chair quarterbacking. If there is any solace to be had, the parents of that precious 2 year old have his body to bury. I can't even begin to imagine how they are feeling.

TC

This has been a horrible week in Orlando. There is nothing to be gained by arm chair quarterbacking. If there is any solace to be had, the parents of that precious 2 year old have his body to bury. I can't even begin to imagine how they are feeling.

TC

Well said TC.

WillyJ.

This story is hearbreaking. I noted from the DIS article where they are from. I've visited there several times. It's a town of very nice, friendly people. I am sure this grieving family will be surrounded with love and support in the weeks and months ahead.
My prayers are with them.

They are here in the states too. However, they aren't posted at every access point to the wilderness. Last time I visited the smokies, I saw one but it's expected that you know you are possibly going to see a bear or some other animal. They did have it posted on some of their vacation pamphlets.

Yes but at least the message is somewhere, unlike Disney.

by law, shouldn't that sign be in French also?

Possibly on the back side? This is BC so they aren't quite as frequent on non government signage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter