Almost ZERO Studio availability into January for ALL WDW DVC?

Do you think if I stalked I might be able to get a studio anywhere during jersey week???

You never know but studios are going to be hard. You can certainly try and pick up days if they show up…and then modify the waitlist if you get one of your nights.

The OP is a little confusing. The first two weeks of January are often booked up at 7 months advance, and certainly looking now I would expect availability to be very low 4 months in advance. This is nothing new, it has been going on for years as a lot of school holidays extend into early January, then you have the marathon and then you have MLK weekend, which is also very popular.

Once you get past MLK weekend, there is a bit of a dead period where there is usually a lot of availability between the last two weeks of January and the first two weeks of February. However, 4 months in advance I would expect even this to be pretty booked in studios. Then you get into school breaks, and popularity increases, but even so there are usually some availability at 7 months.

To the other part of the question. No, Disney is NOT overselling DVC. They legally cannot do that. But what happens is as more and more DVC resorts are sold off, the most popular ones are bound to become harder to get at 7 months. For instance, all those people buying at Riviera may love their resort, but when they realize they can stay at Boardwalk or BLT for less points, they are going to want to try that. And regardless of where people own, they all want to try Beach Club at some point. That resort has been extremely hard to get a studio at for years now, but only has gotten harder across all months. However, I don't believe Disney is playing any games here. It's natural demand.
When I first considered buying into DVC the period after MLK Day was key to my decision.

Since we would own for over 30 years my expectation was there would be periods where we went to WDW and never entered the parks.

I think some of the blame is with renters. I have NO problems with people renting points to friends or family, but when people try to score a huge profit off a reservation they booked that they have no intention of using themselves, then I have a concern and issue. IE -- "I just booked a 7 night stay at BLT theme park view 11 months from now. Please give me $30 a point!" Some people GET those reservations rented, and it reduces inventory for those of us looking for something closer in. I'm not sure what Disney can do about it, but it really isn't fair to those that can't book at exactly 11 months every year out. Sigh.

I think some of the blame is with renters. I have NO problems with people renting points to friends or family, but when people try to score a huge profit off a reservation they booked that they have no intention of using themselves, then I have a concern and issue. IE -- "I just booked a 7 night stay at BLT theme park view 11 months from now. Please give me $30 a point!" Some people GET those reservations rented, and it reduces inventory for those of us looking for something closer in. I'm not sure what Disney can do about it, but it really isn't fair to those that can't book at exactly 11 months every year out. Sigh.
Agree. And DVC should do something about it, but to them, selling points is the goal. As to resale, not sure how DVC can control that at this point. In the end, if someone accumulates 1000 points with the intent only to profit by making reservations & renting them, no one seems to be minding the store.

Makes no difference if the points are rented or used by owners. The room would be booked regardless. Being able to rent is something that makes DVC points more attractive, I would not want stricter restrictions imposed. The ability to rent out points when either you can't or don't want to use them is worth something. Everyone has the same opportunity to book their home resort at 11 months and others at 7.

Makes no difference if the points are rented or used by owners. The room would be booked regardless. Being able to rent is something that makes DVC points more attractive, I would not want stricter restrictions imposed. The ability to rent out points when either you can't or don't want to use them is worth something. Everyone has the same opportunity to book their home resort at 11 months and others at 7.
Yes. It's been discussed since 1991. The difference is whether the purchase of points is a purely commercial venture for profit. Identifying those purchases/purchasers does not seem to be at all important to DVC/DVD. Many opinions out there about whether or not it should be addressed. From 2007:

Screenshot 2023-10-03 11.46.08 AM.png

Makes no difference if the points are rented or used by owners. The room would be booked regardless.
Well said. It doesn´t make any difference whether the owner uses the rooms or a renter. The inventory will stay the same, just so many rooms assigned to DVC.

Every owner has the right to book with their points and DVC is a first come first served timeshare. If that wasn't outlined at the time of purchase it should have been as no room is guaranteed for anyone except eventually the few that buy fixed weeks.
If someone has actually purchased to rent as a business then DVC can do something about that, That's the fuzzy bit of course. Remember - DVC is actually a big owner/renter. They reserve rooms at 11 months to rent out for various reasons and some is from their own points vs simply to cover trades etc.

Last edited:
You think that’s bad? I had the first 9 days of may booked at the poly at 11 months, we were trying to flip it at 7 month window to AKL or OKW to save some points for another trip later in the year. Everything was gone at 8:00am. I fought and stalked and got what I wanted but there is now literally nothing but Saratoga.

Just got a BCV studio from a waitlist for a friend for January 31st. Don’t give up! My DH and I were already at BC, NOW our friends are at BCV too. They had been at BWV.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter