Aloha dinner show & food alleries???

Blueyed Girl

HAKUNA MATATA!
Has anyone been to the aloha dinner show at the poly with a food allergy? How did it go? Do you feel comfortable enough to go back? We do hoop see soo every year because they are so good with his allergies (peanut & pea). He can eat pretty close to everything they have.

We had a decent experience but nothing spectacular. My kids were fed a lot but nothing interesting. They've got laundry lists of allergies so they ended up I think with dressingless salad (they can't have citrus so the regular dressing wasn't safe and they don't like oil and vinegar which was the only other safe dressing) and the chef cooked them up some plain chicken, steamed vegetables and plain rice. Dessert was just plain tofutti ice cream (they can't have dairy so the regular dessert was out). Pretty boring, especially for the price. Unfortunately, the chef made the same mistake several other chefs made that trip and gave DD11 (8 at the time I think) the Ener-G buns which we later discovered has something she's allergic to (several chefs gave them to her and I never asked to see the ingredients but she's allergic to citrus fruits with oranges being the worst and the buns contain orange fiber) was the cause of her horrible stomach cramps part way through the meal. so we never even got to see the fire dancers. I didn't figure that out until our next trip when a chef told us that she couldn't have those buns; we had just chalked it up to dealing with multiple abdominal inflamatory issues.

I might consider going back if anybody in my family would agree to watch the show. It was a mistake several chefs made; not just this one so I really don't hold that against the restaurant though the boringness (is that a word?) of the food certainly didn't impress me, especially for the price. Citrus isn't exactly a common allergy and I'd swear I've only ever seen it in gluten free breads, not regular ones so many wouldn't think to check (even on our last trip I had to point it out to several couple chefs when they offered her the bread) so again, I don't hold that against the restaurant.

We had a decent experience but nothing spectacular. My kids were fed a lot but nothing interesting. They've got laundry lists of allergies so they ended up I think with dressingless salad (they can't have citrus so the regular dressing wasn't safe and they don't like oil and vinegar which was the only other safe dressing) and the chef cooked them up some plain chicken, steamed vegetables and plain rice. Dessert was just plain tofutti ice cream (they can't have dairy so the regular dessert was out). Pretty boring, especially for the price. Unfortunately, the chef made the same mistake several other chefs made that trip and gave DD11 (8 at the time I think) the Ener-G buns which we later discovered has something she's allergic to (several chefs gave them to her and I never asked to see the ingredients but she's allergic to citrus fruits with oranges being the worst and the buns contain orange fiber) was the cause of her horrible stomach cramps part way through the meal. so we never even got to see the fire dancers. I didn't figure that out until our next trip when a chef told us that she couldn't have those buns; we had just chalked it up to dealing with multiple abdominal inflamatory issues.

I might consider going back if anybody in my family would agree to watch the show. It was a mistake several chefs made; not just this one so I really don't hold that against the restaurant though the boringness (is that a word?) of the food certainly didn't impress me, especially for the price. Citrus isn't exactly a common allergy and I'd swear I've only ever seen it in gluten free breads, not regular ones so many wouldn't think to check (even on our last trip I had to point it out to several couple chefs when they offered her the bread) so again, I don't hold that against the restaurant.

I will have to check out that ener g bread and see if he can have it. There sre some breads and pastas that are for gluten people that he can't have because they contain chick pea flour. Found that out on a trip to Disney 2 years ago when he was given the pasta marinara at 50s prime time cafe and had a reaction. Luckily he had only taken 2 bites and said he didnt feel good and wouldn't eat any more of it. A few minutes later he had chest pains and broke out in hives. Not fun any time but especially not fun on vacation! Thanks for telling me your experience . If we go I will make sure to ask a lot of questions while there.

Has anyone been to the alpha dinner show at the poly with a food allergy? How did it go? Do you feel comfortable enough to go back? We do hoop see soo every year because they are so good with his allergies (peanut & pea). He can eat pretty close to everything they have.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm happy to see that you've been able to do Hoop de Doo. DD12 is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and peas and we're hoping to do Hoop de Doo on our next trip.

Look up Udi's breads, not Ener-G. Disney just changed all their allergy breads to Udi's.

I looked up Udi's breads and buns, etc. He can not have them as they use "Pea Protien". That is EXACTLY what I was affraid of. All of this switching foods to cover more gluten issues is killing us!!! :mad: Most gluten free foods are using pea flour or pea protien or pea "something". This is just not good at all. I am extremely saddened by this change. Why couldn't they just ADD breads for gluten people? They are trying to put everyone into one category and it is NOT GOING TO WORK. It's like trying to make EVERYONE in America shop in the Juniors section for clothes....that's not going to work either!

I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm happy to see that you've been able to do Hoop de Doo. DD12 is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and peas and we're hoping to do Hoop de Doo on our next trip.

I'm sorry, that was supposed to say "aloha". :rotfl2: But yes, hoop dee doo has been fantastic for us in the past!

I looked up Udi's breads and buns, etc. He can not have them as they use "Pea Protien". That is EXACTLY what I was affraid of. All of this switching foods to cover more gluten issues is killing us!!! :mad: Most gluten free foods are using pea flour or pea protien or pea "something". This is just not good at all. I am extremely saddened by this change. Why couldn't they just ADD breads for gluten people? They are trying to put everyone into one category and it is NOT GOING TO WORK. It's like trying to make EVERYONE in America shop in the Juniors section for clothes....that's not going to work either!

Since it looks like the Ener-G buns would have been safe but the Udi's aren't, I would strongly encourage you to email both Special Diets and Guest Relations to know that the changes that they've made in suppliers has affected several meal options. I can't recall; was this for a child? If yes then you've just basically lost the majority of the kids meal options that were safe. Make this clear to both departments. The only way they know is if people tell them. While both options are gluten free, the change has resulted in quite a few guests with other allergies from no longer being able to eat any of the buns.

Of course I should mention that the change has actually resulted in my 11yo being able to now eat hamburgers with buns which she couldn't before because the Ener-G products contain a non-top-8 ingredient that she's allergic to but the Udi's look like they're safe for her so this wasn't a bad change for everybody though it certain did affect those with egg allergies which is a top 8 allergen. I'm not actually upset by the change for my family but I do recognize just how bad it is for so many and I recognize that we're the minority. My 14yo can't eat either option so again, we actually overall come out well with the change with no negative impacts (this is just for the buns; other changes we didn't fare so well).

Maybe I'm confused. I'm looking at the Udi's classic hamburger buns and Udi's classic hotdog buns. I don't see pea protein. Am I looking at the wrong place or is it a not so obvious name that I'm not familiar with?

Yes, he can have the plain white buns & bread but it makes me nervous. Is there cross contamination with this pea protein or flour?....I have no idea. I felt better when there was none at all. I guess I will be packing burger buns In a ziploc every day. Many time he can't have chicken strips either. It does SEEM like the pizza dough may be okay but again....it just makes me nervous. Maybe i shouldwrite to udi and find out how thier factory works.

I'd definitely contact Udi's to find out their protocols. The less products you have to bring from home, the more of a vacation it is for you.

Has anyone been to the aloha dinner show at the poly with a food allergy? How did it go? Do you feel comfortable enough to go back? We do hoop see soo every year because they are so good with his allergies (peanut & pea). He can eat pretty close to everything they have.

Hi. Up until the middle of January, I was a Cast Member at The Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, and I can tell you that we do take food allergies very seriously. The pea allergy really shouldn't be a problem as we don't use peas in any of the recipes (though we do use other legumes); we also don't use peanuts, other than in pb&j sandwiches for picky eaters (though we do use other treenuts). My advice to you, if you decide to go, would be to call a few days in advance (or more) to let the restaurant know about your food allergy concerns as there would be more options available to you than if you let a cast member know when you are checking in that night for the meal. Either way, one of the chefs (most likely Chef Eugene or Steven) will come out and talk to you before your meal, and your server will also be very much aware of your allergy as well so as to try to make your meal go as smoothly and enjoyably as possible. I can also tell you that somewhat recently (around November) the luau changed a lot of their allergy options so as to give better options for the guests.

Somewhat on a side note, if you do decide to go to the luau, please stay through the third act when all of the traditional Polynesian dances are performed (it's the longest and also, imo, the best act); some guests give up on the show after the first act (a short introduction to the characters and the frame story) and the second act (audience participation)---trust me the third act and, in particular, the Fire knife dancer are really a lot of fun! Hope this helped a bit

Hi. Up until the middle of January, I was a Cast Member at The Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show, and I can tell you that we do take food allergies very seriously. The pea allergy really shouldn't be a problem as we don't use peas in any of the recipes (though we do use other legumes); we also don't use peanuts, other than in pb&j sandwiches for picky eaters (though we do use other treenuts). My advice to you, if you decide to go, would be to call a few days in advance (or more) to let the restaurant know about your food allergy concerns as there would be more options available to you than if you let a cast member know when you are checking in that night for the meal. Either way, one of the chefs (most likely Chef Eugene or Steven) will come out and talk to you before your meal, and your server will also be very much aware of your allergy as well so as to try to make your meal go as smoothly and enjoyably as possible. I can also tell you that somewhat recently (around November) the luau changed a lot of their allergy options so as to give better options for the guests.

Somewhat on a side note, if you do decide to go to the luau, please stay through the third act when all of the traditional Polynesian dances are performed (it's the longest and also, imo, the best act); some guests give up on the show after the first act (a short introduction to the characters and the frame story) and the second act (audience participation)---trust me the third act and, in particular, the Fire knife dancer are really a lot of fun! Hope this helped a bit

Thank you so much for the info! We are still considering booking the dinner show. Once all our ADR's are made I will contact dining and get the ball rolling on the allergy awareness for all of our dinners.

PS- I will also make sure to stay till the end! I wouldn't want to miss any of it if we don't have to. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter