ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our fridge's knob was un-adjustable a couple weeks ago. They removed the part that you can move back and forth. We figured it was part of the replacing refrigerator project, as we were always able to adjust them before. The fridge was not nearly as cold we would like.

Hopefully it was just your fridge they did it to. If I were her I would still check

Hopefully it was just your fridge they did it to. If I were her I would still check

Oh, I totally agree. I hope it's not something that they're really following through on, as everyone has different needs. We would always turn ours all the way up.

I'll still keep looking each time we go, crossing my fingers!

They removed the ability to adjust the fridge in our room as well. Possibly part of the update for fridges??? Perhaps too many people adjusting then having things freeze and bust open?? While it seemed the fridge wasn't cold enough, we put our sodas in it and they cooled off quickly. A full fridge works better!

They removed the ability to adjust the fridge in our room as well. Possibly part of the update for fridges??? Perhaps too many people adjusting then having things freeze and bust open?? While it seemed the fridge wasn't cold enough, we put our sodas in it and they cooled off quickly. A full fridge works better!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, though I haven't heard any reports of it on the refrigerator posts (though people there are more concerned that they have one at all).

We took a look at it, and it looked "professionally" done, you know, no one randomly tried to break something. So I'm guessing they want more control over the temperature.

I've never had anything freeze/explode there, as even on high, a mini refrigerator is not exactly freezing, but I can understand (from a hotel management perspective) why they don't want patrons touching anything.

What is the difference between ground floor and patio room request at online check in options? We are visiting nov 21st-25th our first poly stay requesting Fiji longhouse. Thank you tiki man for all the wonderful info :)

What is the difference between ground floor and patio room request at online check in options? We are visiting nov 21st-25th our first poly stay requesting Fiji longhouse. Thank you tiki man for all the wonderful info :)

It means a first floor room with a patio and not a balcony. With a patio unless it is surrounded by foliage you can walk out into the resort.

Just got back from the Poly Oct 3-9th. The resort was very quiet during our stay. No issues with construction from our garden view room, 3rd floor Hawaii building.

The pools were not crowded nor was Captain Cooks. The only place we found crowded was the bar on the 2nd floor. I think a lot of people were waiting for O'Hana's and took bar space to wait.

Our fridge did not work upon arrival, so we got a new one and the new one did not work very well. We kept the cabinet door open and that helped. Other than that our room was spotless and no issues.

The monorail was down during our stay for construction from 11-6. This made the boat launches much more crowded. Buses were plentiful and came often.

We had a great trip and love the Poly, any questions please ask :love:

Just got back from the Poly Oct 3-9th. The resort was very quiet during our stay. No issues with construction from our garden view room, 3rd floor Hawaii building.

The pools were not crowded nor was Captain Cooks. The only place we found crowded was the bar on the 2nd floor. I think a lot of people were waiting for O'Hana's and took bar space to wait.

Our fridge did not work upon arrival, so we got a new one and the new one did not work very well. We kept the cabinet door open and that helped. Other than that our room was spotless and no issues.

The monorail was down during our stay for construction from 11-6. This made the boat launches much more crowded. Buses were plentiful and came often.

We had a great trip and love the Poly, any questions please ask :love:

I notice youve also stayed at AKL and YC. How would you rate the 3 resorts?

We have an 8 am BBB (MK) appt. I assume we can take the monorail from the poly that early? TTC/resort or either?

I notice youve also stayed at AKL and YC. How would you rate the 3 resorts?

Each has it's pros and cons, here is what we thought of the three hotels we have stayed at.

Poly pros:
1-Location, location, location. Easy monorail (when working) to MK or boat. Walking to TTC to catch an EPCOT monorail, super fast and easy. Buses are plentiful and only share with usually one other resort.
2-Rooms sizes are huge and guaranteed day bed.
3-Theme is amazing, you really feel like your in the tropics or Hawaii
4-Wishes from the beach, GCH or pool. Amazing! The music is piped in and you don't have to deal with the crowds

Poly Cons:
1-No hot tub. I know alot of people don't like them but for cool Fall nights a hot tub would have felt wonderful
2-Crowded pool in the summer. We had issues with space and crowding in the summer, not so much in Oct
3-Always a fridge issue, our fridges never really work. We have tried new fridges, keeping the cabinet door open.......never really keeps our stuff cold

YC pros:
1-EPCOT and DHS with in walking distance. No crowd issues after Illuminations. Just walk home
2-SAB pool is awesome, best pool on property
3-Our room patio had an Illuminations view. So much fun to watch
4-Activities across the lake at the Boardwalk, we love to walk around the BW
5-Lots of sit down eateries close by, Cape May has the best seafood dinner buffet

YC cons:
1-Our room was very far from the lobby and pool area. Made a long walk every day for food and the pool
2-Theme is pretty sterile or adult like. Our teens did not like it, thought it was like staying at the Shining Hotel
3-No easy quick service food options. We ate at the pool a couple of times. They do have a good selection though.
4-Buses......horrible, horrible, horrible. Buses to DTD, AK, TL, BB and MK all share with ALL the EPCOT resorts. It can take 30-40min just to make the EPCOT resort hotel rounds before you are off to your park. We took a taxi to TL, BB and DTD while staying there. Buses also seemed to come less often, we would wait for a long time for a bus to come
5-Day bed not guaranteed. We did get one thank goodness, but they are not in every room

AKL pros:
1- Theme, gorgeous hotel. Perfect for our first WDW stay. We had a pool view room and really enjoyed the pool view at night. My parents had a Savannah view as they were in their room quite a bit more and loved watching the animals
2-Great pool, huge and two hot tubs
3-Great buses, even thought Jambo and Kiandi share, that's it and you are on your way
4-Bunk beds, a must if for us as our kids do not like to share a bed

AKL cons:
1-Distance from parks except BB and AK. The resort is quite remote with limitted activities- no lake or other resorts with in easy to get to distance
2-Food options, we do not care for the African themed cuisine. The quick service eatery had limited options
3-Smallest rooms in the deluxe category, not too small for us, but I like the Poly room size the best

We got a great discount on the Poly this year so we went back to the Poly and tried Cl level. We loved watching Wishes from the lounge. Eating breakfast was nice and cold beers from very nice CM's.

Not sure how many people here knew....

Tikiman is shutting down his wonderful site. He is a regular here, and I just wanted to say thanks and Mahalo for all the great advice and help he has provided throughout the years.

Tikiman is shutting down his wonderful site. He is a regular here, and I just wanted to say thanks and Mahalo for all the great advice and help he has provided throughout the years.

Oh no! I use him as my most reliable source! What will I do now?

I posted this in its own thread but maybe here is better?

I would love to get a recommendation about what room to request. We are going in January with our five and two year old. We will mainly be at mk and Epcot and will be going back and forth to the room for naps so I was thinking something close to transportation? The monorail? I was thinking about requesting Raro tonga, Niue, or Toke Lau. Does anyone have any ideas? Which longhouse and any specific view or location? Thanks so much!!

Is it just his website? I adore that site. But I also follow him on Facebook - so I am hoping he keeps that going. I love his information, it is such a benefit when vacation planning and the updates and information sharing is like none other.

I love going to his site and listening to the music...thank you for your service Tikiman!

I would love to get a recommendation about what room to request. We are going in January with our five and two year old. We will mainly be at mk and Epcot and will be going back and forth to the room for naps so I was thinking something close to transportation? The monorail? I was thinking about requesting Raro tonga, Niue, or Toke Lau. Does anyone have any ideas? Which longhouse and any specific view or location? Thanks so much!!

We have been in Samoa once and Tokelau twice. Samoa is a great location, one side faces the volcano pool (rumored to be closing in January) the other faces the quiet pool. It's very close to the Great Ceremonial Hall where all of the food and shops are. The resort monorail station is located on the 2nd floor there.
Tokelau is a great location too. We were third floor facing the quiet pool in June and third floor facing toward the Ticket and Transportation Center last week. Tokelau is an easy walk to TTA, giving you access to the resort monorail, EPCOT monorail and also the ferry to MK. The rooms are larger in Tokelau too, which might help. The bathrooms in both of these longhouse are configured differently, I think the Samoa bath may be larger. I remember Tokelau is all in one room, no sink outside the shower potty area if this helps. Balconies are nice sized in Tokelau too, and it's pretty close to the bus station and parking lots.

Mom2Finn said:

Just stayed in Niue with a 6&8 yr old, loved it!!!

Poly Vacation 9/14-9/21!!!!!

Niue 1st floor facing the Volcano Pool! We loved our Niue room, steps to the GCH and the pool.
Arriving on 11/29.

Those who requested/got the rooms you wanted - how did you do it?

The online check-in allows you to check two somewhat vague boxes (longhouse and floor).

Are you calling (what # do you call), faxing (what # did you fax), help?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter