ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree that pool hopping is a major problem, as is the lack of seating. But my daughter and I changed in there once. Now of course we sat awhile and dried off thoroughly outside first so we weren't dripping water everywhere! But it was our check in day and our room wasn't ready. Both kids really wanted to swim so we let them, with the condition that DD couldn't get her hair wet as we had nowhere to shower yet. She had a hair braiding appointment at the GF salon late afternoon. Room still wasn't ready, so we had to change quickly there. But we were paying Poly guests!!

I was just going to say the same thing. We've changed in there when the room wasn't ready more than once.

That is so irritating. To me, that is no different than someone at the Poly going to swim in the pool at the Waldorf Astoria....you are not paying to stay there, so why would you be able to swim there. Or likewise, just coming from your house to swim at a hotel.

I can only imagine that that scenario happens as well. I really don't understand why it is so difficult for them to implement a wristband system like at SAB (which works wonderfully).

I am no snob or anything, but as a consumer, I would be mad about not being able to enjoy amenities that I paid for because they were being used up by people who weren't.

Off soapbox...:rolleyes2

I agree with you :thumbsup2. Last time we stayed the Polynesian, August 2011, they checked resort cards and handed out wristbands. I never had a problem finding a lounger or table then.

Last time we stayed the Polynesian, August 2011, they checked resort cards and handed out wristbands.

This is interesting about the wristbands. I've heard of them being used at the BC/YC, but not at any other resort. Hopefully Disney will implement this system for all resorts.

This is interesting about the wristbands. I've heard of them being used at the BC/YC, but not at any other resort. Hopefully Disney will implement this system for all resorts.

I have read that once the magic bands are completely rolled out, they will be used for pool access also.

I don't disagree that pool hopping is a major problem, as is the lack of seating. But my daughter and I changed in there once. Now of course we sat awhile and dried off thoroughly outside first so we weren't dripping water everywhere! But it was our check in day and our room wasn't ready. Both kids really wanted to swim so we let them, with the condition that DD couldn't get her hair wet as we had nowhere to shower yet. She had a hair braiding appointment at the GF salon late afternoon. Room still wasn't ready, so we had to change quickly there. But we were paying Poly guests!!

I never thought of that, good point!

I completely agree with you!!! So far, knock on wood, the past 3 years we have stayed there in September it has not been too bad, hopefully that's the case with this year as well!!!

I agree, the pool hopping issue is a big problem. I wish they would just make that a gated area and require a room key for entry. Isn't that what they are doing at GF?

Tikiman reported some time ago that a fence was going to be going around the volcano pool and you would require your key to access the pool. Maybe they are waiting for the pool refurb/magic bands for this?

Thanks, I'm still a little worried! I'll have to see what discounts come out for when we go.
If the pool is closed do they allow you to use another resorts?

Yes. There would be a boat launch at the beach that would take you to the GF.

Like kaysmommie we've also been at the Poly in the fall and wrist bands were implemented. It has really been hit or miss in the past. It seems to depend on crowds, the manager, the lifeguards ... there seems to be a reluctance to enforce because of confronting people and causing a negative experience for guests. What about the guests who've paid to be there and who can't enjoy the pool?!

Oh no! A fence around the pool that's going to ruin that beautiful view!!! That sucks!!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

Oh no! A fence around the pool that's going to ruin that beautiful view!!! That sucks!!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

I agree I'm worried about what that might do to the view. I have mixed feelings. They have to do something about the pool hopping, but one of the best parts of the volcano pool is the view of the castle off in the distance. Maybe there's a way they can do it and not obstruct the view too badly? I've seen lots of deck railings in homes that have large plexiglas panels instead of rails, maybe they'll do something like that?

:dancer:

9 more days until my trip to the Poly.

Have a great trip :yay:.

Like kaysmommie we've also been at the Poly in the fall and wrist bands were implemented. It has really been hit or miss in the past. It seems to depend on crowds, the manager, the lifeguards ... there seems to be a reluctance to enforce because of confronting people and causing a negative experience for guests. What about the guests who've paid to be there and who can't enjoy the pool?!

I agree.......I don't think too many CMs are comfortable confronting people since it could potentially cause some problems as I'm sure some people wouldn't leave too voluntarily :rolleyes1. But you are also right about the guests that pay to stay there.....it isn't fair to them to have to deal with an overcrowded pool due to guests not staying there :sad2:.

I don't think I'd like to see a fence either :(......I love that view!!!

They have to do something about the pool hopping, but one of the best parts of the volcano pool is the view of the castle off in the distance.

ITA :thumbsup2. If they do fence it in, I hope they do it in a way as to not ruin that fabulous view.

Yes, we also got wristbands when we were there in July 2011

What kind of hair braiding did you get? Were you happy with the results? I am very intrigued and would love to hear more about it for my curly DD! Thanks. :-)

The pool seating was insane! I had to stalk until I found a table, And then I felt SO bad for a family with a baby that I told them to come sit with us.

I think resort pool hopping is a huge part of the problem. I saw a family in the bathroom by Cooks changing out of their swim gear and dripping water everywhere. No way you'd be changing in the lavatory if you had a room there.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people changing into swim suits in those bathrooms! My favorite pool hopping incident was last year- we were sitting by the pool and decided to do a monorail tour of the resorts we walked out just to see the GF pool, literally the whole poly pool crowd had moved over. If they were staying at the GF, maybe not such a huge deal but you can never tell who is actually staying at the Poly when at the pool. Hate to say it but its often the people you wouldn't expect to actually be staying there- I like that about the Poly! I would invite a fence as long as it doesn't distract from the view.

Does anyone know about the outlet situation in the Poly? We will have 3 adults and one child. We have phones, laptops, iPads, cameras etc.

Also, we are going the last week of July, will we be able to survive the heat :)

It will be my 6YO grandsons first trip, we are all so excited.

Does anyone know about the outlet situation in the Poly? We will have 3 adults and one child. We have phones, laptops, iPads, cameras etc.

Also, we are going the last week of July, will we be able to survive the heat :)

It will be my 6YO grandsons first trip, we are all so excited.
I was in the Hawaii bldg after remodel this past April and May.

Biggest problem is only one outlet in the bath area.

The Ihome radio has a charger on top but if have a iPhone 5 won't fit without adapter.

I always bring an extension cord with me. During the day plenty of outlets but at night I want to lay in bed with my iPhone/iPad and can reach easier with a cord:thumbsup2

I think on some trips I have sat on a balcony with the use of my cord too. (No outlets outside). I put the extension cord in my purse/bag on plane. There has been times we were delayed at the airport and to reach an outlet was much easier with a cord. My kids give me the eye roll for all of my planning but are 1st to use whatever I bring::yes::

Morning! My DH and I are staying at YC in October for 6 nights. I've waited on booking flights, and of course flying out the day before is cheaper (by about $200). YC is booked the day before, so I've been thinking about Poly. Never stayed there or any MK Resort (we are EPCOT lovers). My question is, would one short day be enough to really understand the beauty of Poly, or would we feel rushed? I figure half the day exploring Poly (red headed DH won't be laying by a pool), and half the day at a park or DTD. Move into YC by 10a....
...I know Poly will cost me more than the flight difference, but I can't justify spending more money on a flight like I can spending it in Disney!! :rotfl2:
Thanks so much!! :worship:

Thanks......it looks like they're trying to put a policy in place :).

I would invite a fence as long as it doesn't distract from the view.

I feel the same way. I love how everything is open with the beach directly behind the pool, but I think I'd be ok with a fence as long as it doesn't take away from that awesome view ;).

jaz0308 said:

I think they should have the wristbands all year. Maybe when guests check in the CM can hand out the wristbands. Maybe they could give you one for each day of your stay. Or, people could just go to the guest services before using the pool to get a wristband for that day.

DisneyLover0610 said:
Morning! My DH and I are staying at YC in October for 6 nights. I've waited on booking flights, and of course flying out the day before is cheaper (by about $200). YC is booked the day before, so I've been thinking about Poly. Never stayed there or any MK Resort (we are EPCOT lovers). My question is, would one short day be enough to really understand the beauty of Poly, or would we feel rushed? I figure half the day exploring Poly (red headed DH won't be laying by a pool), and half the day at a park or DTD. Move into YC by 10a....
...I know Poly will cost me more than the flight difference, but I can't justify spending more money on a flight like I can spending it in Disney!! :rotfl2:
Thanks so much!! :worship:

Good Morning! My DH and I love the Poly but I actually tossed around the idea of staying at the BC this year to be closer to EPCOT since that is also where we spend the majority of our time. One thing we do like about the Poly is the easy access to MK, especially if you stay until after the fireworks, and then it's a quick walk to the TTC and a short monorail ride to EPCOT. If you have never been to the Poly, I'm not sure half a day would be enough time. What time would your flight get in that day? You could grab breakfast or lunch at Kona, I highly recommend this place!! If you like the famous Dole Whip it's available in Captain Cooks. I would just skip the the parks that day. Spend time enjoying and relaxing at the resort. You could spend a few hours in the evening at DTD and eat dinner there. Oh, one thing I would highly recommend is if you have never watched the fireworks at MK from the Poly beach, do so!!! And a warning, you might be hooked to the Poly after this trip, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter