• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Already nervous about day 1

dlin2011

Earning My Ears
We haven’t even hit registration yet. Not cruising til next summer. Last cruise we just had a 3 yr old. This year we’ll have 4 kids ages 7-14. I feel like there is so much to do on day one and I can’t figure out what I WANT to do.

Won’t have any tastings/palo to book. Not sure about princesses yet. I’ll need to go check and make sure my allergy is listed from what I hear.

So pool/lunch by the pool?
Lunch, then pool?
Or check out the kids clubs?
When to visit dining? Or just hope for the best on the first night? I did call and have it listed so hopefully it’s no problem.

But then rooms become available. Go check out the room? Interrupt the pool/kids clubs to unpack? We have late dining, so we probably want to unpack by then.

I’m such a planner but have prepared myself to let the other days just happen. It’s this first afternoon that has me all frazzled as we try to get settled in and get the kids comfortable.

We haven’t even hit registration yet. Not cruising til next summer. Last cruise we just had a 3 yr old. This year we’ll have 4 kids ages 7-14. I feel like there is so much to do on day one and I can’t figure out what I WANT to do.

Won’t have any tastings/palo to book. Not sure about princesses yet. I’ll need to go check and make sure my allergy is listed from what I hear.

So pool/lunch by the pool?
Lunch, then pool?
Or check out the kids clubs?
When to visit dining? Or just hope for the best on the first night? I did call and have it listed so hopefully it’s no problem.

But then rooms become available. Go check out the room? Interrupt the pool/kids clubs to unpack? We have late dining, so we probably want to unpack by then.

I’m such a planner but have prepared myself to let the other days just happen. It’s this first afternoon that has me all frazzled as we try to get settled in and get the kids comfortable.
You’re way overthinking this. If allergies are the only thing you need to worry about, wait until dinner, DCL is way too good to give this a second thought.

We never think of that first day as let’s play until after dinner. We grab lunch, wander around the ship a little bit and then go to the rooms to drop off carry on stuff. At that point we then either do pools and stuff or explore the ship more. We’ve gotten lucky on a couple ships that our luggage was delivered before 2:30 and we were able to get unpacked before the muster drill. If that doesn’t happen we wander and explore then go back and check every 30 minutes or so until luggage is delivered. Our goal is to be unpacked before muster. Then as soon as muster is over, vacation is officially on! We do the sail away party, stand on deck and watch the land glide by, grab dinner and then it’s play time. Relax and enjoy the moment of the first day, don’t plan the crap out of everything and try to do it all in a few short hours.

How many adults do you have? There’s no reason everyone has to do the same thing. If kids are swimming, you can easily sneak away to check your allergy (though that’s probably not necessary) and check out the room.

How long is the cruise? If its long enough that you are planning to fully unpack, you can separate to do that too.

How about go with the flow? You are on holiday. If you can do that for the other days, why not for the first day?

The only thing that really NEEDS to be done is checking if your allergies are in the system correctly. Everything else is a bonus. And yes as mentioned, you don't need to do everything together if there are more adults to watch the kids.

Last edited:

I agree with the PP... you are way over thinking this. Hey - what if it's raining on embarkation day and you can't swim? You don't know what time you will get on the ship. What if the kids don't want to do what you have planned?

Relax... Make a list of what you HAVE to do when you get on board because they are time sensitive (make Palo reservations, change dining time, sign up for tasting class etc). Check out the Navigator when you get to the port to see times and when do to these things, as well as when you do the Kids club stuff (sorry - I have no kids so I have zero experience in this area). As for the rest - its a vacation... enjoy it and don't stress. Make a second list all the other things you would like to to try and do at some point during the cruise and cross of what you can, and what you don't cross off... you have your wish list for your next cruise.

I agree with the others- it’s your vacation, don’t stress about it. I think you’re going to be very disappointed with the whole cruise if you try to plan too much. There are too many variables. I always say our best cruises were our first ones where we didn’t know a thing about it and just went with the flow.

So I have to agree with the other folks. Outside of the allergy issue, everything else is not a necessity. Certainly, make loose plans to do a few things but be prepared to pivot away from that once you're onboard and assess the situation at hand.

Remember - it's a cruise! You're on a large metal tin (albeit a luxurious large metal tin) for a few days so apart from essentials you shouldn't feel the need to rush to anything.

I agree that the most important thing to do once you're onboard is to relax and recognize you made it on the ship, and you're on vacation.

If you have noted your dining restrictions on your reservation, you do not need to stop by the dining area before dinner. The head server or your main server should confirm your restrictions with you at your first dinner seating. In the unlikely event that you haven't seen the head server yet and your main server doesn't mention them, just mention them to the server before you order.

If your kids want to swim, you can let them swim, but be aware that before rooms become available around 1:30, the restrooms on the pool deck are very crowded with people changing into swimsuits.

Checking out the kids' clubs is a good idea, since open houses are the only time everyone can see every area.

We always go to our room shortly after it becomes available to drop off our carry-on bags. If our luggage has started arriving, we may stay to unpack, or we may walk around the ship to get our bearings and head back later when the luggage is there.

There will always be more to do than time to do it in. I have to repeat to myself (and my family) "Don't worry about doing what's best. Just make sure you enjoy whatever you're doing." If you find you don't enjoy what you're doing, do something else. I've left activities that weren't what I thought they'd be, and entered activities in the middle -- almost everything (other than theater shows) will allow people to drop in and out.

I’ll pile on with the others.

Calm down. You are eight months out.

This doesn’t have to be complicated.

Board. Eat lunch. Get settled in your stateroom. Then take a break, look at the Navigator (paper or app) and think about what you might want to do after the muster drill.

The only 2 things I wouldn’t do on your list
a) pools that first afternoon (I know some people swear by it and love it but dealing with wet swim suits on kids before you have a room or as this first thing you do upon getting a room always sounds miserable to me.) Checking out the kids clubs (and with 4 kids 7-14 you’re in at least 3, maybe 4 will give you plenty to do)

b) I would not try to involve 4 kids in the unpacking. I’m a big proponent of everyone take care of your own stuff on travel, except unpacking on a cruise ship. There just isn’t the room to have that many people crossing back and forth through the rooms and while there is plenty of storage you have to plan it a little more and my tween son throwing 2 pair of socks in one drawer and 1 shirt in another isn’t going to cut it. That’s when we divide and conquer and one person unpacks while the other wrangles the kids (or the kids sit on the couch and watch a movie while we unpack around them.

You can call DCL and ask exactly what they have listed for allergies and ask them to update as needed. No travel agent needed. And then don't worry about it anymore! DCL is totally on top of allergies, in fact they will hunt you down! But seriously, no worries. The first day is very busy, just remember to eat lunch somewhere, show up for the drill, the sail away party, and some unpacking out of the way...then dinner... that's basically the "must do's" for most.... if you can fit anything else in there... that's a bonus but DON'T STRESS OVER IT!!

If your kids like the pool head to them as soon as you get on as this will typically be the only time they aren't packed!
We find a table near pool and one adult can watch stuff/kid and the other one goes and gets something to eat. My son typically spends the first couple hours in the pools and we head to cabin to shower/change before life boat drill.

Can I make a suggestion? If you are this stressed about this already, maybe take a break from forums like this one? The information and resources here are great but it can also make it feel like you need to do everything now now now. There is nothing you need to do right now and really nothing you even can do so if you find yourself feeling stressed about it, step away for awhile.

Can I make a suggestion? If you are this stressed about this already, maybe take a break from forums like this one? The information and resources here are great but it can also make it feel like you need to do everything now now now. There is nothing you need to do right now and really nothing you even can do so if you find yourself feeling stressed about it, step away for awhile.

Great advice. I think a lot of the DCL social media groups, blogs, YouTube videos, etc cause a lot of anxiety for some people.

Preach it sister! Totally agree on this, good call.

Thank you. Lots of good points. I am not sure if swimming will be a priority for them. Possibly not. Kids clubs might be. I would be perfectly happy sitting somewhere and observing or just wandering checking out the ship. Sometimes kids can be a crazy handful, especially with their first cruise excitement, so I just want to make sure they’re good to go. My 9 yr old with anxiety is the one I’m most worried about.

The good thing, It’s a 7 day cruise. If I can convince my husband we don’t need excursions at every port, I think I’d feel better about having more ship time. I know it will all work out. Just excited and want it to be the best vacation :)

You will have an amazing time. I would try not to pack too much into Day 1. I would suggest sitting around the pool (usually there's a movie on Funnel Vision, so kids can be occupied swimming or watching or snacking) and I would consider whether one of you can do the unpacking for everyone. I usually assign everyone 1-2 drawers and I unpack for everyone. But really, have your kids wear their swimwear underneath their clothes, carry on a small backpack with underwear and socks and sunscreen, and then get on and explore. If the pool sounds like a good idea, go for it. Unpacking can wait. Kids clubs can wait. Wander around and check out the ship and familiarize yourselves with what is located where.

Oh my! Lots of thinking going on! LOL Try and relax. All will be well. Another poster mentioned taking a break from the planning, probably not a bad idea. Sometimes when we try and orchestrate the perfect vacation we end up with a less than perfect vacation. Or a perfect vacation for our family, but you, the planner, ends up miserable (note the voice of experience). A 7 day cruise gives you plenty of time to do the things you want. Maybe let your first day or afternoon be one of just settling in and exploring the ship. Find an activity once you are on board on the navigator, instead of trying to plan it out ahead of time. Your trip will be amazing. And you will have an amazing time, if you let go a bit and just let it unfold around you instead of trying to create how amazing you want it to be. Good luck. See you back on the boards in a couple of weeks (wink) LOL. Have a great cruise!

We took our first cruise this past March. We had swimsuits in our carry-on because I'd seen lots of comments that the pools wouldn't be busy. I think that was the busiest we saw them and the line for the Aquaduck was insane. We ate lunch in Cabana's and bailed on the pool idea. We were pretty overwhelmed by it all. We ended up roaming the ship and visiting the kid's clubs until the room was ready. I think our luggage was there when we got to our room so we checked out the room and settled in a little before muster time. I might be mixed up and our luggage was there after muster, I'm not sure. That first day is kind of a blur looking back now. We did a 3 night "trial cruise" and are booked on the 4 night over Christmas next year. I hope it won't be so overwhelming next year since we've done it before. By the end of the 3 nights we were comfortable navigating our way around the ship and it wasn't so overwhelming. You can't possibly do everything, accept that now. We loved the cruise more than we expected and I think a lot of it was the lack of schedule. We'd look in the app to see what was going on and decide what sounded good, or do nothing and chill in the room, or go to the pool. Normally when we return from vacation DH gets annoyed that I'm immediately trying to figure out what our next one will be, this time the day after we got home he asked when and where we're going on our next cruise. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter