• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alternate way driving from Long Island to Disney?

momofmikey

Mommy also to Daniel and Lauren
We’ll be making our annual drive from Long Island to Disney this weekend. We are planning on leaving at 4 am Saturday and driving straight through. We always go the 95 route, but the last few times we always seem to hit traffic in Virginia. I’ve heard people mention a way to bypass the state altogether and it’s a prettier ride. Does it significantly add more time to the trip? I wouldn’t mind adding a little bit of travel time to avoid the traffic and congestion. Thank you!

You are thinking of the I-78 West to I-81, I-77, I-26 to I-95 route.

A quick look at Google Maps shows that route taking 18:48 and 1228 mi starting at Floral Park Your normal route of I-95 is a16:45 trip at 1117mi starting at Floral Park and ending at MK going the I-95 route. For most that route only adds and hour but that's for those coming from the North or North East. Coming from the Island it is going to add more time

What you might want to look being that you are starting on Long Island is taking I-95 to I-97 to US Route 301 back to I-95 in the Richmond area which should put you south of the usual 95 VA traffic as well as avoiding DC. That route is 17:08 and 1115 mi. In Bowling Green, VA you have the option of hoping back over to 95 just north of the Kings Dominion Theme Park or staying on 301 and getting back on 95 in Richmond or taking I-295 around Richmond back to I-95.

This should show that route:
https://goo.gl/maps/1AAtrD9fh9a8Y1qh8

If you have a EZpass and stick with 95 I highly recommend you take advantage of the lanes designated for them just below DC. Of course, I suppose it depends on which time of the day you hit the area if they are open southbound vs. northbound....

You could always take Rt. 1 South off of 95 S as you come out of PA into DE, then take 301 S over the Bay Bridge and continue on 301 S down thru the western shore, coming out on 95 S just above Richmond (also recommend the bypass around Richmond, think it's called 295 but I can't swear to it)

If you have a EZpass and stick with 95 I highly recommend you take advantage of the lanes designated for them just below DC. Of course, I suppose it depends on which time of the day you hit the area if they are open southbound vs. northbound....

You could always take Rt. 1 South off of 95 S as you come out of PA into DE, then take 301 S over the Bay Bridge and continue on 301 S down thru the western shore, coming out on 95 S just above Richmond (also recommend the bypass around Richmond, think it's called 295 but I can't swear to it)
The express lanes south of DC will only be open northbound in the morning. But they can save a lot of time if you hit them when open. The Rt. 301 option is better than the western side route if you don’t mind stop lights down 301.

I 95 will be fastest way and the west side of DC beltway (I 495) has express lanes down to I 95. Personally I would take the route recommended by google maps. It is generally pretty good recommending alternate ways around traffic.

By leaving at 4am you will hit the DC area during morning rush hour Which runs from about 7 to 9 or so.

The express lanes south of DC will only be open northbound in the morning. But they can save a lot of time if you hit them when open.

Yeah, I'd guess I was headed south about 1:30pmish, and took full advantage of the express lane!

My husband always wants to take 301S vs. 95S but honestly, I think it could go either way depending on the time of day. PG county can get a bit dicey mid to late afternoon I've noticed.

- OP, enjoy your drive and I hope you find the best route down! Enjoy your trip.

By leaving at 4am you will hit the DC area during morning rush hour Which runs from about 7 to 9 or so.
On a Saturday morning DC traffic is going to be light. I always take 295 around Richmond. But, there is also a sign before the ring road that will say how long it is to go thru Richmond versus going around. It's normally pretty close to the same, which is why I take 295. I figure there's more likely to be an accident via downtown and 295 had plenty of lanes.

On a Saturday morning DC traffic is going to be light. I always take 295 around Richmond. But, there is also a sign before the ring road that will say how long it is to go thru Richmond versus going around. It's normally pretty close to the same, which is why I take 295. I figure there's more likely to be an accident via downtown and 295 had plenty of lanes.
Good point. Although I would use the term “lighter”. :)

What you might want to look being that you are starting on Long Island is taking I-95 to I-97 to US Route 301 back to I-95 in the Richmond area which should put you south of the usual 95 VA traffic as well as avoiding DC. That route is 17:08 and 1115 mi. In Bowling Green, VA you have the option of hoping back over to 95 just north of the Kings Dominion Theme Park or staying on 301 and getting back on 95 in Richmond or taking I-295 around Richmond back to I-95.

This should show that route:
https://goo.gl/maps/1A1AAtrD9fh9a8Y1qh8
Used to live in MD and we always took the above route. There are a couple of bad traffic spots. Rt 301 and 5 split is pretty bad all the way through Waldorf (301). Then stop and go through LaPlata. It can be frustrating, but I would still rather suffer through that than the beltway and 95 in that area. Also, it's a really pretty drive coming through 301/207 in Virginia. Oh, there's a toll bridge crossing the Potomac River from MD to VA. I haven't crossed it in a car in many years so I don't remember what the toll is. We pay $36 one way but we have an RV and pull a car. Five axles. You wouldn't pay near that. That right there should show you how much I hate the 95 route!

Used to live in MD and we always took the above route. There are a couple of bad traffic spots. Rt 301 and 5 split is pretty bad all the way through Waldorf (301). Then stop and go through LaPlata. It can be frustrating, but I would still rather suffer through that than the beltway and 95 in that area. Also, it's a really pretty drive coming through 301/207 in Virginia. Oh, there's a toll bridge crossing the Potomac River from MD to VA. I haven't crossed it in a car in many years so I don't remember what the toll is. We pay $36 one way but we have an RV and pull a car. Five axles. You wouldn't pay near that. That right there should show you how much I hate the 95 route!
Can always count on those from the Camping/Fort Forum to give good advice. :cool1:

When I can I always avoid the Beltway. 5 years ago went to Myrtle Beach and friends went as well. They left at 9a to head home to MA and went 95 and around the Beltway. We left at 930a but drove up US 17 as we were stopping in New Bern to visit a friend. Ended up being a 3 hour visit. We decided instead of heading over to 95 we would continue north on 17 and eventually US 13 over the Bay Bridge Tunnel and up the Delmarva peninsular. In the end our friends only got home 90 min before us all due to Beltway traffic. If we hadn't stopped for three hours we would have beat them home going the "long way."

Last time I drove down 95 in VA, I hit a lot of construction zones with 2 lanes closed. Not sure if they are doing that all day or just in the off-hours, but it was from Fredicksburg to almost Richmond.
Might be wise to look up VA road conditions to see if that may affect your drive.

NC had some construction along 95 as well down near Fayetteville.

I have no idea how much time it would cost you, but it might be worth looking into taking 13 down the Eastern Shore.

You’ll crosse the Bridge Tunnel, which will cost $30+, but is a unique experience.

You don’t avoid VA entirely, but avoiding VA sounds… extreme. It’s a long state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter