• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aluani, PCC w/Kids

belle41379

Disney is my happy place.
We will be visiting Aluani for the first time in June. :). We were told the PCC is a must visit, including the luau and night show. The cost seems so high @ $125 per adult. We will have kids with us ranging in ages from 1-9. Will the kids enjoy the full day there? I'd hate to spend that kind of cash and the kids be a little bored. Any tips?

I would never call the PCC a "must do" but luau's in general are very expensive and I would say the the better ones on Maui that we've attended average close to $100-120ish pp. The PCC can pretty much be an all-day affair and includes your entertainment and dinner so I guess if you have to look at it as "dinner and a show". Will the kiddos get bored? Hard to say - it CAN BE a long day but they would probably enjoy the show if they don't crash first. Note that while most luau's include some alcoholic drinks there is no alcohol at the PCC (plus it's much too far away from Aulani to want to have much anyway as you wouldn't want to drink & drive).

As far as Luaus go, the PCC one is not as entertaining as others, BUT...It is significantly cheaper than others, so take your pick. There is actually a good luau right in the same area as Aulani that you can walk to, but it is more expensive and does not include the Polynesian Cultural Center experience and show added in. (both of which I think are worth it).

Is the big draw for the PPC the luau with entertainment and the night show? (I think it's called the Ambassador Package)

I would never call the PCC a "must do" but luau's in general are very expensive and I would say the the better ones on Maui that we've attended average close to $100-120ish pp. The PCC can pretty much be an all-day affair and includes your entertainment and dinner so I guess if you have to look at it as "dinner and a show". Will the kiddos get bored? Hard to say - it CAN BE a long day but they would probably enjoy the show if they don't crash first. Note that while most luau's include some alcoholic drinks there is no alcohol at the PCC (plus it's much too far away from Aulani to want to have much anyway as you wouldn't want to drink & drive).

I agree, I'm not sure if I could call the PCC a must do.

The luau was nothing like we expected. To me it was more like watching a football game. Their dinner seats a LOT of people and to us the stage show felt more like a sporting event than a dinner.

The first time we visited, in 2010, the evening show was called Ha and we didn't like it at all. Our children were teens at the time, and somewhat open minded, but both of them thought the show was very "bizarre". Since it's been running 3 years, people must enjoy it, we didn't. We enjoyed the evening show that was free at Aulani much more.

Not meaning to sound negative, but we've taken a couple of 10 day trips to Oahu, and with all of the other things to do the PCC fell pretty low on the list of favorites.

I agree, I'm not sure if I could call the PCC a must do.

The luau was nothing like we expected. To me it was more like watching a football game. Their dinner seats a LOT of people and to us the stage show felt more like a sporting event than a dinner.

The first time we visited, in 2010, the evening show was called Ha and we didn't like it at all. Our children were teens at the time, and somewhat open minded, but both of them thought the show was very "bizarre". Since it's been running 3 years, people must enjoy it, we didn't. We enjoyed the evening show that was free at Aulani much more.

Not meaning to sound negative, but we've taken a couple of 10 day trips to Oahu, and with all of the other things to do the PCC fell pretty low on the list of favorites.

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone!

What things would you recommend? We are a family with 4 children traveling with us. Pearl Harbor? Dole Plantation?

Do you recommend renting a car for the ride to the resort so you can stop at Target?

Where is the best place for souvioners?

Tons of questions! lol

As far as Luaus go, the PCC one is not as entertaining as others, BUT...It is significantly cheaper than others, so take your pick. There is actually a good luau right in the same area as Aulani that you can walk to, but it is more expensive and does not include the Polynesian Cultural Center experience and show added in. (both of which I think are worth it).

Which Luau is walking distance to Aulani?

My kids liked staying at Aulani the best:) We had lots of things planned but many of them went out the window this last trip (on Oahu 8 days this past April).

We def. underestimated how much we all would enjoy just staying put and doing all the resort has to offer! however, with that said, my kids' favorite activities (ages 8 and 12) were up in the North Shore. We went to Turtle beach and saw more sea turtles (on and off the beach) then we could count. We hit shrimp trucks, did some shopping in Haleiwa, and got shaved ice. Then we hit the Dole Plantation on the way back.

Our hiking trips were a bust (they just wanted to be back at Aulani) as well as the mention of any museum or history based excursion. However we (DH and I) were perfectly happy to let them just hang at Aulani. They enjoyed the kids club and swimming and we got a lot of time to relax!

Oh, as for Paradise Cove- we thought it was a giant waste of money (my DH and I went in 2012 by ourselves). We bought the deluxe package. We were super bored fast and the food was awful. We thought the Aulani show was great, and it was free!

Which Luau is walking distance to Aulani?

Paradise Cove is the closest, but whether or not it is walking distance in the dark depends on your group. We went in June, but to do it again, I would skip it and just go to Starlit Hui if I were you.

What things would you recommend? We are a family with 4 children traveling with us. Pearl Harbor? Yes, but make it a quick trip. get your tickets for a day the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is happening...Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday. Get tickets from the government website ASAP, the are free but there is a small service charge, like $1.50 each or so.

Dole Plantation? Yes, but read TripAdvisor for activity recommendations there.

Do you recommend renting a car for the ride to the resort so you can stop at Target? Yes, and to go other places on the island.

Where is the best place for souvioners? Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, hands down.

Tons of questions! lol

See above!

We will be visiting Aluani for the first time in June. :). We were told the PCC is a must visit, including the luau and night show. The cost seems so high @ $125 per adult. We will have kids with us ranging in ages from 1-9. Will the kids enjoy the full day there? I'd hate to spend that kind of cash and the kids be a little bored. Any tips?

The PCC is just what the name says, a cultural center. All of the Polynesian islands are represented and they have interpretative islands where you learn how they cook, hunt, live, and their native dances. You can easily spend more than one day there.

I did the Aulani PCC tour last year because I didn't want to drive the hour out and back late at night. The show ends about 9:30 pm and it was nice having someone else drive. We had tour guides who took us to about four of the villages for the demos that they did. It was a fun day, but I could have easily stayed longer because we didn't have time to do all of the villages. The prime rib dinner was included in our tour as well as the show. The show is great and shouldn't be missed. It is hard to believe that these are not professional actors. Some people in our group changed their dining to the luau once they got there, so it may be possible. The price is high, but in my opinion it is well worth it since you get transportation and a tour guide while there.

As PP have said, if the luau is the only thing you want to do there are closer ones. Paradis Cove Luau is right next door at the Sheraton. If you want to learn about the Polynesian Culture go to PCC.

The PCC is just what the name says, a cultural center. All of the Polynesian islands are represented and they have interpretative islands where you learn how they cook, hunt, live, and their native dances. You can easily spend more than one day there.

I did the Aulani PCC tour last year because I didn't want to drive the hour out and back late at night. The show ends about 9:30 pm and it was nice having someone else drive. We had tour guides who took us to about four of the villages for the demos that they did. It was a fun day, but I could have easily stayed longer because we didn't have time to do all of the villages. The prime rib dinner was included in our tour as well as the show. The show is great and shouldn't be missed. It is hard to believe that these are not professional actors. Some people in our group changed their dining to the luau once they got there, so it may be possible. The price is high, but in my opinion it is well worth it since you get transportation and a tour guide while there.

As PP have said, if the luau is the only thing you want to do there are closer ones. Paradis Cove Luau is right next door at the Sheraton. If you want to learn about the Polynesian Culture go to PCC.

See, and the time I went to the PCC I also did a tour (on a bus from Waikiki) and I felt so TRAPPED!! It left early in the morning and it was a loooong day that couldn't end soon enough for me. IF I were to go again (which I have no desire to) I would only go by car so that I could leave whenever I wanted to. It is a long way out there and you do indeed get back very late. I hated that we couldn't just leave and had to wait on this bus to go back that night. The Samoan people were hysterically funny but other than that it's my only fond memory of the PCC. I definitely felt out of place for most of the day - not sure if it was the Mormon culture :confused3 or what but I was not comfortable for a lot of the day (which also made it seem longer). To each his own I guess.

What things would you recommend? We are a family with 4 children traveling with us. Pearl Harbor? Dole Plantation?

Do you recommend renting a car for the ride to the resort so you can stop at Target?

Where is the best place for souvioners?

Tons of questions! lol

We've rented a car both times on Oahu. The secret is to keep checking rental rates constantly. We were consistently seeing $500/9 days and all of a sudden it dropped to $220. I grabbed it and it was back to $500 the next day. Also, unlike the Waikiki Beach area, Aulani is not close to much. There are a couple of restaurants you can walk to, and a convenience store, but not much else. The Target is only a couple of miles, but too far to walk.

The other thing about a car is the ability to do multiple free or cheap excursions. For example, we enjoyed the Manoa Falls hike and it cost us $5 for our family to park. If you take a tour to Manoa Falls it's about $40 a person. Same hike, but the transportation costs a bunch to get there. Diamond Head is another example. Super cheap if you drive, but to do the tour with transportation it's much more. If you can get a reasonable rental I'd definately go that route.

As another poster noted, you can definately spend the entire time at Aulani. The resort is incredible and you won't have trouble finding things to do. However, I feel you are missing too much of Hawaii if you do that. There's so much to see that we packed both vacations with events and could have still spent more time.

A couple of favorites:
Manoa Falls - super cheap, lush vegetation, a walk through the rain forest, ending at a waterfall that can be a trickle or fantastic depending on how much it's rained in the mountains.

Hanomoua(sp?) Bay -World famous snorkeling for $7/person plus renting the equipment for about $5.

Tantalus Drive/Round Top Drive - a drive to the top of the mountain and back down with sweeping views of much of the Eastern side of the island.

Koko Crater hike - if you are athletic this was one of our favorite things. A walk nearly straight up the side of a crater on an old transport rail. Free if you don't count the sweat and tears you'll lose on the way up.

Diamond Head - the classic Oahu hike, cheap to park and no fee to do the hike.

Pearl Harbor, we especially liked the Battleship and the Bowfin sub, but the entire exhibit is worth seeing and the costs are reasonable.

We've also done other paid items such as the Shark Encounter, Kuoloua Ranch, Snorkel excursion, swim with Dolphins, surf lessons with Hawaiian Fire, PCC. Let me know if you have specific questions.

We did the Fia Fia Luau at the Marriott in January and thought the show was great. Like the Paradise Cove show, it is walking distance from Aulani, but it had much better online reviews than Paradise Cove.

The food was kind of so so but they did have a separate buffet of just kids foods. (mac & cheese, sandwiches without the crust, etc)

We had 4 kids with us (ages 1, 4, 4, 7) and they all made it through the whole show.

It was $90 for adults and $50 for kids.

They only run the show on Tuesday nights though.

Is the big draw for the PPC the luau with entertainment and the night show? (I think it's called the Ambassador Package)

The night time show "Spirit of HA" and the tour of the center are what make the PCC ticket worthwhile. The luau isn't such a much.

My kids liked staying at Aulani the best:) We had lots of things planned but many of them went out the window this last trip (on Oahu 8 days this past April).

We def. underestimated how much we all would enjoy just staying put and doing all the resort has to offer! however, with that said, my kids' favorite activities (ages 8 and 12) were up in the North Shore. We went to Turtle beach and saw more sea turtles (on and off the beach) then we could count. We hit shrimp trucks, did some shopping in Haleiwa, and got shaved ice. Then we hit the Dole Plantation on the way back.

Our hiking trips were a bust (they just wanted to be back at Aulani) as well as the mention of any museum or history based excursion. However we (DH and I) were perfectly happy to let them just hang at Aulani. They enjoyed the kids club and swimming and we got a lot of time to relax!

Oh, as for Paradise Cove- we thought it was a giant waste of money (my DH and I went in 2012 by ourselves). We bought the deluxe package. We were super bored fast and the food was awful. We thought the Aulani show was great, and it was free!

Same thing here. I had allot of Hawaii things planned and when ever we left the resort the kids moaned and complained. We did do Germaines becuase the kids were free with DVC Discount but other than this I would say Star Light Hui is as good or better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter