Always visit in July - may visit in February - Help!

Califlove

Mouseketeer
Other than the weather being cooler, any major changes in Feb vs July?
I’ve read that Splash is typically down in Feb. That isn’t optimal but not a dea breaker either.
Anything else that will be down in February?
Thanks for any replies

Compared to July, February will likely have multiple rides down, the park hours are traditionally MUCH shorter, and you're likely to have entertainment like fireworks on weekends only.

The week of Presidents Day was NUTS last year (the whole week after the holiday), and much of February was crowded when it wasn't pouring rain.

I have been saying all year that I never spoke with as many disappointed tourists as I did this past February, but things are SO unpredictable that this year could be much better (certainly the unusual amount of rain impacted last year). So make sure you have your expectations in check, and hopefully you'll hit low crowds, nice weather, and not too many refurbs. :-)

We go frequently in February (not around President's Day) and I feel it's nice. Granted, we missed February this year (and it sounds like that was a good thing!)...

The "off season" is no more. Feb was busier than July this year. I mean, there were some 9 out of 10 crowd days in Feb and I think even weekends in July only hit 6 out of 10.

Combine that with short hours, less entertainment, lower staff, and ride refurbishments...I would stick with July. Unless you really love cooler weather and maybe get lucky and hit a rainy day (those days are still very slow).

Last edited:

We went at the end of February this year. It was crazy crowded! We still did everything we wanted because we've enough times to know how to maximize our time. The crowds were really surprising to me. I went back on Easter Day and stayed a couple days after and I found the crowds more manageable. But, I also think you just can't predict crowds anymore. There isn't a clear pattern. My new mantra is go when you can go, have a plan, and be prepared for crowds!

There isn't a clear pattern. My new mantra is go when you can go, have a plan, and be prepared for crowds!

Yup, this.

We have gone all times of year because of having APs, although I don't think we have done Feb... I'll have to look at my signature when this posts! lol But there is no longer a quiet time, only a time when there are decreased hours and attractions/shows. I don't think this means don't go, just that it means don't go thinking you are going to see lower crowds because you likely won't. If you can go in February, and that works for your schedule, then go then. It will still be fun! But don't pick it intentionally thinking that you will see benefits to doing so.

I was also going to mention that if you have little kids that don't stay out late anyways, I don't think short disneyland hours will hurt you too much (besides being more crowded).

However, teens and adults might be bummed when the park closes at 8pm (or earlier due to off season "special events"). Most of the rides at DL/DCA are better at night, so early park closures are a turn off for people.

Compared to July, February will likely have multiple rides down, the park hours are traditionally MUCH shorter, and you're likely to have entertainment like fireworks on weekends only.

The week of Presidents Day was NUTS last year (the whole week after the holiday), and much of February was crowded when it wasn't pouring rain.

I have been saying all year that I never spoke with as many disappointed tourists as I did this past February, but things are SO unpredictable that this year could be much better (certainly the unusual amount of rain impacted last year). So make sure you have your expectations in check, and hopefully you'll hit low crowds, nice weather, and not too many refurbs. :-)
Thanks! We are considering an NBA game in San Fran. And can’t think of going to California without visiting the house of the mouse
I am an optimist so I never complain about DL, but I will consider your advice as a means to never start!
Thanks so much. You’ve given me some things to think about.
Kim

I was also going to mention that if you have little kids that don't stay out late anyways, I don't think short disneyland hours will hurt you too much (besides being more crowded).

However, teens and adults might be bummed when the park closes at 8pm (or earlier due to off season "special events"). Most of the rides at DL/DCA are better at night, so early park closures are a turn off for people.
I think the shortened hours and ride closures might dampen our fun a little so we may just wait for another summer opportunity.
Thanks for the advice!
Kim

Thanks! We are considering an NBA game in San Fran. And can’t think of going to California without visiting the house of the mouse
I am an optimist so I never complain about DL, but I will consider your advice as a means to never start!
Thanks so much. You’ve given me some things to think about.
Kim

If you're going to the city and you haven't been, you should go to the Presidio to check out the Disney Family Museum. Plus the Presidio is just an awesome place to visit ;). Nice views of the Bay. That way you still get a bit of Disney even if you don't make it down to SoCal to visit DLR.

If you're going to the city and you haven't been, you should go to the Presidio to check out the Disney Family Museum. Plus the Presidio is just an awesome place to visit ;). Nice views of the Bay. That way you still get a bit of Disney even if you don't make it down to SoCal to visit DLR.

This is heading off topic, here, but...

Golden Gate Park is absolutely beautiful. I took Disney pictures of my daughter and son (see avatar) there and they came out stunning. If you get a chance to visit there, it'd make for some nice pictures.

Thanks for the advice!
I have so far planned that we will fly into LAX the Sunday of Presidents’ Day weekend. Probably spend a few days around LA, followed by a couple at Disneyland. And then fly up to San Francisco for the Warriors game and some sightseeing. We have never been to Sam Francisco before so I really appreciate the recommendation for the Presidio and Disney family museum. We plan on walking around the Fisherman’s Wharf area and doing an Alcatraz tour. I would love to see some redwoods too but that may have to be a different trip

This is heading off topic, here, but...

Golden Gate Park is absolutely beautiful. I took Disney pictures of my daughter and son (see avatar) there and they came out stunning. If you get a chance to visit there, it'd make for some nice pictures.
Thanks! I will put that in our plans for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter