Am I allowed to scan my MK shoot pics & other random debates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flipside of what you're saying, if the photographer owns the rights to pictures of my face, that means that he/she can do a slew of things that he/she wants with my picture for profit or otherwise.

Maybe he can do all sorts of things to your picture, but I seriously doubt he can profit from it outside of your transaction with him unless YOU have signed a release form granting him permission to use your image.

Listen, I know the price of photography is high. And I think its great that some photographers automatically include a DVD in their package...but I suspect that their prices are goosed up a bit to cover their own lost revenue in prints they would normally make by giving you the right to do it yourself.

Listen, I know the price of photography is high. And I think its great that some photographers automatically include a DVD in their package...but I suspect that their prices are goosed up a bit to cover their own lost revenue in prints they would normally make by giving you the right to do it yourself.

I totally agree with you on this. The prices are probably goosed up to cover the cost.

I think the issue is that Disney is quite expensive to begin with and then to have to pay an additional 1K is upsetting to most. I know I paid 7,500 for photography but what I am getting is much more than any of Disney's packages.

I think it is frustrating to pay 1K for about an hour of photography and then if you actually want the photos it costs another 1K.

In my opinion, that's pretty debatable, and I don't completely agree with that take; it's an outdated way of doing business. It's NOT a fully original creation because the picture doesn't happen without you in it. You're paying a professional to take a picture of you. The photographer didn't spontaneously create my face and my dress!

"Contracting for photographic services" is semantics; no one hires a photographer just to be there to document the event; people hire photographers to acquire pictures that they can frame and hang on the wall.

I do also see the photog's point of view because I'm marrying an artist. A professional must make a living; I don't believe that things should come for free. But even DF who is an artist thinks that that mindset is not really sensible. On the flipside of what you're saying, if the photographer owns the rights to pictures of my face, that means that he/she can do a slew of things that he/she wants with my picture for profit or otherwise.

I do agree with you though that it's up to the photographer whether he/she will release the rights. And eventually, if photographers want to stay competitive, more and more of them will include the rights to the pictures, or sell them at a REASONABLE price, as so many of the outside photographers that DISbrides use do.

There is no legal debate as to the ownership of digital images and/or film negatives- they belong to the photographer unless he or she releases them. Final use of these should be addressed up front in your written contract with the photographer. Likewise- the photographer cannot use your picture for any commercial purpose such advertising, portfolio material, etc. unless you sign a modeling agreement to that effect.

Well I am not sure when you were married but now a days almost every photographer includes a CD/DVD with images included in the package.

I am flying in one of the best photographers in the country and guess what? My CD is included and I have the rights to MY photos.

Why Disney wants you to pay 1K for a CD with more than likely crappy MK photos is beyond me. Will I pay it? Yes.... Why? Because as much as it sucks I want MK photos.

Yeah I totally agree with you..IMO if it's a picture of you then they are your pictures,not the photographers...if I was one I wouldn't want the rights to random peoples wedding pictures lol..seriously..you pay to have them take your pictures not to have them keep them and charge you a grand for the negatives....

BTW the quality in Disney Photogrpahy is not that great so to me it isn't worth how much they charge for prints...I just got my Honeymoon prints and I could get better prints from Target.seriously..I loved my photographer though,she was great!!!

Yeah I totally agree with you..IMO if it's a picture of you then they are your pictures,not the photographers...if I was one I wouldn't want the rights to random peoples wedding pictures lol..seriously..you pay to have them take your pictures not to have them keep them and charge you a grand for the negatives....

Do not confuse what you feel is the ethical thing to do vs. the law. The law says that the photographer owns the shot. Period. It is not debatable. If they are giving you the rights to them in your contract, be sure that they are building that into the price. After the economy recovers, do not be surprised if less photographers give the negatives as part of the package. Expendable services, like photography, are feeling the crunch more than most. They are willing to give a little more right now just to get a job.

Also, if you were a professional photographer that didn't want the rights to the pictures you took, then you would not have to worry very long. You would go out of business. Don't forget that every hour of shooting might have eight hours or more of post processing time afterwards. Time is money. If you give it away, you make no money.

Kevin

Maybe he can do all sorts of things to your picture, but I seriously doubt he can profit from it outside of your transaction with him unless YOU have signed a release form granting him permission to use your image.

There is no legal debate as to the ownership of digital images and/or film negatives- they belong to the photographer unless he or she releases them. Final use of these should be addressed up front in your written contract with the photographer. Likewise- the photographer cannot use your picture for any commercial purpose such advertising, portfolio material, etc. unless you sign a modeling agreement to that effect.

Do not confuse what you feel is the ethical thing to do vs. the law. The law says that the photographer owns the shot. Period. It is not debatable. If they are giving you the rights to them in your contract, be sure that they are building that into the price. After the economy recovers, do not be surprised if less photographers give the negatives as part of the package. Expendable services, like photography, are feeling the crunch more than most. They are willing to give a little more right now just to get a job.

Also, if you were a professional photographer that didn't want the rights to the pictures you took, then you would not have to worry very long. You would go out of business. Don't forget that every hour of shooting might have eight hours or more of post processing time afterwards. Time is money. If you give it away, you make no money.

Kevin

I'm totally not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely curious, where did you all come from? Are you all friends? Cuz it's strange on this board to have so many unfamiliar posters...especially in one thread. Again, not trying to be snarky just really wondering

PS- I'm gona go out on a limb and say that most photographers that shoot disney weddings arent suffering because of the economy right now. lots of europeans take advantage of the weak dollar. and there are still a bajillion people getting married at disney.

I'm totally not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely curious, where did you all come from? Are you all friends? Cuz it's strange on this board to have so many unfamiliar posters...especially in one thread. Again, not trying to be snarky just really wondering

PS- I'm gona go out on a limb and say that most photographers that shoot disney weddings arent suffering because of the economy right now. lots of europeans take advantage of the weak dollar. and there are still a bajillion people getting married at disney.

Yeah I'm curious too Amanda lol......I kind of feel bad that your question turned into this stupid debate lol!!

I love your MK photos..they are the best I have seen..and you own those pictures so do what you want :) I love them!!!!!!

Yeah I'm curious too Amanda lol......I kind of feel bad that your question turned into this stupid debate lol!!

I love your MK photos..they are the best I have seen..and you own those pictures so do what you want :) I love them!!!!!!

Thanks Lynn :hug: I always look at them though and think what Randy could have done with such a backdrop! LOL we are spoiled by randy

Well I am not sure when you were married but now a days almost every photographer includes a CD/DVD with images included in the package.

Oh it may be included in the package, but rest assured, you're paying for it in your package price.

Honestly, most people have no idea about the amount of work that goes into shooting a wedding. You're on your feet for 8, 10, 12 or more hours shooting. You're lucky if you get fed. Running to the bathroom is iffy at best because what if, heaven forbid, you miss an important shot? Then there's the amount of time spent editing the images after the wedding. Probably another couple hours. And then there's all those hours for paperwork, answering emails from, and talking on the phone with the bride and groom. Oh, not to mention the cost of equipment (and yes, there are cheap DSLRs out there, but the pro DSLRs and pro glass are far more expensive - $2500 for the camera and another $1600 for ONE lens! - and yield sharper results) and things like liability insurance plus the cost of any prints and/or albums that are included in your package, plus things like education (seminars, ongoing learning) that most GOOD photographers partake in to keep up to date on trends and further themselves as artists. So please respect copyright.

As far as photogs profiting off your face in pictures, most wedding photographers contracts have model releases built in which specifically define how they can use the images. Read the contract. Make sure you understand it. If you don't want you images to be used for advertising, discuss it with your photographer.

That being said, our MK photo shoot was crap. So crappy that Disney refunded half of what we paid (this was back in 2002). There's no bloody way I would have paid a grand for a cd of files from that session. Had they been any good? Sure. In a heartbeat. But I value photography greatly. And after the wedding, really, what's left? Your pictures and your dress. My dress has been in a box for the past 6+ years. Our pictures from the wedding (shot by Gary Fox, negs included in his package, you can bet I paid a pretty penny for them) are all over the house. Keep that in mind when budgeting for your photography.

In response to where did we all come from? I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm a past Disney bride who visits the board occasionally when I have time. If you search, I'm sure you can find my wedding trip report somewhere in the archives here.

Thanks Lynn :hug: I always look at them though and think what Randy could have done with such a backdrop! LOL we are spoiled by randy

Yeah we are and hmmm isn't it funny how all printed proofs are included in your package and CDs of all images and you can't beat his prices and he isn't going out of business anytime soon he must be doing something right...and the quality of his pictures are AMAZING!!!!

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejardo de las puertas.

WDWpluto..I love your siggy lol!!!! now I know what they say in spanish on the monorail lol.....we were trying to figure it out!!! I have to show this to my husband lol.

Gdad gets around more than me, but we come from the Photography Board. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97 Many Disers do not even know it exists.

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejardo de las puertas.

WDWpluto..I love your siggy lol!!!! now I know what they say in spanish on the monorail lol.....we were trying to figure it out!!! I have to show this to my husband lol.

Thanks! I hate that it's no longer the same person doing the monorail announcements. It's just not the same. Isn't that dorky? :laughing:

it was so nice of gdad to start a thread over there making fun of our "photography debate"

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841705

well now we know where they all came from..

I don't think anyone's making fun. To photographers it's an important topic that affects business. IMHO, most consumers aren't educated about copyright and what it means. And why would they be? Just about everyone I know thinks that if you get your pics taken at Walmart you can scan 'em, copy 'em, do whatever the heck you want with 'em. And they do. Because most people don't know any better. Which is why OP asked. But I think that educating people about it is important.

Some photogs choose to include rights to reproduce your photos/high res files in your packages. Some choose to charge you extra. You can bet that in either case, you're paying for it some how. In many cases, the photographers who choose to include rights/files do so because they don't want to be bothered with creating albums. Their choice for their business model. But in many cases, photographers are feeling pressured into doing it "because all the other photographers are doing it".

If being able to post your pics online or make your own prints is important to you, choose your photographer accordingly.

Not making fun- it is a common discussion on the photography board- from youth sports to senior pictures to weddings it is a common issue. Sorry for the intrusion- just my $0,000,000.02.

Thanks! I hate that it's no longer the same person doing the monorail announcements. It's just not the same. Isn't that dorky? :laughing:

Oh lol I didn't know they changed the person...when did they change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter