Am I crazy to try and plan a trip in 3 weeks?

roliepolieoliefan

DIS Veteran
We were supposed to vacation in Niagara Falls this summer
Yesterday DS (20) said we should go to WDW
Of course DD (14) was all for it
We havent been as a family in 3 years.
DD was at WDW last February, my mom lives near there

The pricing isnt bad. We even got decent airfare, which i booked on points so I can cancel if need be
Secured a Sci Fi lunch (our favorite)
My main concern are fast pass availability.
We've gone in August so we know about crowds and heat
Am i nuts?

We were supposed to vacation in Niagara Falls this summer
Yesterday DS (20) said we should go to WDW
Of course DD (14) was all for it
We havent been as a family in 3 years.
DD was at WDW last February, my mom lives near there

The pricing isnt bad. We even got decent airfare, which i booked on points so I can cancel if need be
Secured a Sci Fi lunch (our favorite)
My main concern are fast pass availability.
We've gone in August so we know about crowds and heat
Am i nuts?

You are not nuts. Go and enjoy yourselves!

Nope. My son's gf family went on spring break last year on 2 days notice. Just decided it sounded like more fun than Myrtle Beach, so they cancelled MB and booked FPs in the car on the drive to Orlando. They had a blast - said it was different than their other trips, but a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

I've planned one in less. Be vigilant on the app and you can likely snipe your most desired FP and dining reservations as well (with some exceptions in both instances I'm sure.) Have a blast!

Nope, not crazy go for it. I never book FPs any further in advance then a week or two, most of the time it's day of because we just like to wing it and don't like to be tied down. Even if you don't get the "must dos" (FOP, Slinky Dog) you should be able to get most everything else and you will still have a great time. Oh, and we only book our ADRs day of, never in advance. Again, you might not get the "must dos" but it is a great opportunity to try something new.

we did this on our last visit...very last minute. Got all the FPs we wanted, with no problems. Some of our ADRs, we had to eat dinner earlier than we would have preferred, but otherwise, got in to all the restaurants we wanted. Go - have fun!!! and actually, think of the months of stress you HAVEN'T experienced!

Go for it. If you had a trip planned just a different one, you're okay money wise. Our trip last year was like that. This one too but at 4 weeks. I used to book trips 6 to 9 months out but the last couple of years my jobs have been on a contract basis so it has been kind of hard to plan ahead. Last year was planning to go to Myrtle Beach for a few days before school started but then I realized some 2 day tickets I had from a previously cancelled trip were going to expire. So I looked at flights and fortunately found a great deal $110 rt per person. I bought an additional 2 day ticket on eBay and we flew down for a few days.

Kind of the same thing this year. Was planning a beach trip when my daughter said, "Can we go to Virginia Beach instead of Myrtle?" Rooms were upwards towards $350 a night on the boardwalk where we like to stay (Myrtle Beach was much cheaper hence why we are there more). I said "Honey, 2 grand plus just for a room. 2 grand is Disney money", so of course she responded with "Yay, let's go to Disney then." I booked it at the end of June. We leave at the end of July. We stay at Value resorts so $2500 got room and tickets. We'll probably have to drive; but it's just 9 hours.

I like it. I pretty much got all of the fast passes desired and a couple of new ADRs to try out a couple of meals we haven't done yet. Less time to wait.

Well if you are nuts I am too! I had a vacation with my sister cancelled and had the days off with nothing to do. Yesterday I was watching videos on Toy Story land. My daughter said she wanted to go. I looked at airfare and booked that yesterday and resort and tickets today. We leave in 4 weeks from yesterday. There are still decent fast passes (at least for 2 anyways). I am so excited. I have never done a full stay on property the whole time trip.

Do it! I've booked trips for people 2-3 weeks out and they had a great time, and with managed expectations you can still get great FPs.

We do quite a few trips on short notice, and always enjoy them just as much as those planned way in advance. Sometimes more actually, because it can force you to change up your touring style a bit which can really provide a new experience.

We rescheduled our June trip 12 days out due to a medical emergency. We already had tickets and were able to transfer our condo reservation, but we had to start over with everything else. It was a great trip! Just have realistic expectations. Modifying FP and refreshing works well.

I booked a trip 1 week out this past May with my daughter and it was one of the best trips I’ve had. You will have a great time!!

We are actually thinking about doing this. I found out I have July 19 & 20 off so Dh and I might head down for just the weekend. I really want to do after hours since we enjoyed it so much in March. We haven’t booked anything yet because I’m not seeing anything good as far as plane tickets go. Best I saw was $177 but I don’t want to land at 10:45 pm.

I booked less than a week before I left last summer. I still had an amazing time! I was able to get every ADR I wanted (BOG twice, Via Napoli twice) and even got a FP for FoP!

Go for it! I change FP around at the last minute all the time. You should especially keep an eye out in the last ten days or so prior to arrival, when the no penalty period for canceling room only reservations ends. Granted, it may be difficult to get some of the more popular FP, but not impossible. I have booked trips with only three days advance notice and had a great time.

We just booked a trip for the first week in August, so if you are crazy so are we! We got fast passes for most things except Flights of Passage and the new Toy Story stuff. Hope you have a great trip!

I go all the time at the last minute and have always found decent FP and even ADRs. Go for it!
Refreshing is your friend. Also I have ridden FOP last thing at night several times with waits less then 45 minutes, in case you don't snag a FP keep that in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter