Am I insane? (Updated: Yes, I am insane ;) )

Bob Slydell

DIS Veteran
For those who answered "yes" before even reading the thread -- :p :p :p

My wife and I are going to Maui and Lana'i for our 10th anniversary in November. I was starting to book some stuff for our trip and I came across this, offered by the hotel we're staying at...

Romantic Oceanside Dining for Two
The Hyatt Regency Maui is proud to present the most romantic dining experience on Maui, featuring Oceanside Dining for Two! To start your evening, enjoy a perfect Maui Sunset with a champagne toast, delivered by your own private server. Dinner is served under a Private Oceanside Canopy by candlelight. The six-course Dinner Menu Items are carefully selected and prepared by our award-winning Chefs.

The Romantic Oceanside Dinner for Two is priced at $478 inclusive of taxes, setup fees, gratuity, labor, and grounds fees.

The meal includes:
* A Champagne Toast for Two: Moet et Chandon, White Star
* Amuse Bouche upon arrival
* Choice of Two Appetizers
* Choice of Two Soup or Salad
* Intermezzo
* Choice of Two Entrees
* Choice of Two Desserts
(1) Bottle of wine

Upon receiving your request for Oceanside Dining, a menu and wine list will be sent to you via e-mail. Menu selection and full pre-payment is required to confirm reservation.

Am I nuts for thinking of spending nearly $500 for one dinner for the two of us? :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

Nope, it will be a memory of a lifetime for both of you!

Yes you are crazy. I don't think I could enjoy a meal that cost that much- especially with only one bottle of wine.(I have spent more but it was always the wine that put us over.....pirate: )

Boy I am sounding like a big non-romantic today

Am I nuts for thinking of spending nearly $500 for one dinner for the two of us? :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

Nope. Just romantic.:thumbsup2
How often do you get a chance to vacation with just your wife? Dh and I are going on a cruise in a month and this is the first time we've been on vacation without kids since our 8 year old was 1!!!!!!
Go for it.

If its in the budget, not at all!!! I have seen shows on the Travel channel on resorts and they have shown the private dinners on the beach. They look so romantic.

Yes, I'd have a hard time enjoying a meal that cost that much! But I'm also known for being,umm, frugal.

If that will be a memory of a limetime for her, I say go for it! But if it's between taking a helicopter tour or that dinner I'd go for the tour.

If its in the budget, not at all!!! I have seen shows on the Travel channel on resorts and they have shown the private dinners on the beach. They look so romantic.

Fortunately, our budget for excursions and meals is higher than it would be since we're doing a lot of the vacation on points and miles and stuff like that (for example, the 5 nights at the Hyatt is free :cool1: )

I don't think so. You got such a deal on the vacation it might be worth it to splurge a little. I would go for it

Why not splurge on a big stinking diamond instead? Have I mentioned my husband is in the business....wink wink.....

Steve, do it. That sounds wonderfully romantic. Don't listen to the frugal people. ;) :teeth:

You are not insane, though I do admit I was going to answer yes before I read the whole post. :upsidedow

For those who answered "yes" before even reading the thread -- :p :p :p

My wife and I are going to Maui and Lana'i for our 10th anniversary in November. I was starting to book some stuff for our trip and I came across this, offered by the hotel we're staying at...

Not just no, but HELL NO! Enjoy!

I would hesitate as well...but because we'd probably be there only once, why not? Especially because you have some perks paying for part of the trip. Please let us know how it turns out.:)

My husband would earn BIG points for doing something so romantic.

I am a beach person so this would blow me away.

You got such a deal for your trip that I think you should definately splurge!

I don't think you are insane at all ;)
Didn't you save a butt load on this vacation? then you can afford ONE big expensive dinner! I'd do it in a heartbeat. Have a wonderful time.

I don't think you're crazy and your DW will love that you made all the arrangements.

Yes, I would never enjoy a dinner or "experience" that cost that much.

I am in the camp of if you can afford it and you will never have a chance to do it again, then why wouldn't you? The memory alone will carry over into the rest of your lives together and you will always be able to say, do you remember when we had that dinner?

Hawaii would be a once in a lifetime vacation for me so I say HELL YES.
I would love it if my DH did that. It sounds so romantic. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter