• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I missing something? Less for 2 single day tix than a 2 day?

calablovedisney

DIS Veteran
Usual DW traveller here-headed to DL for the first time. Quick trip, most likely 2 days.
I have priced tickets out on the DL website and on UCT. For a 2 day, 4 adults 1pk/day tix UCT is a bit less.
Then I priced out single day and added them together and DL is cheaper AND it is almost $200 less to buy the single tix than to buy a 2 day. I am using the same dates. No extras added to either. Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to buying a 2 day over the single day. The numbers are for 4 adult tickets, just to be clear.

The benefit of a multi-day ticket would be for park hoppers as it is $60/ticket regardless of the days. Because pricing is date based I would assume some of your dates are a lower tier ticket, which is why doing them individually is cheaper.

FWIW, especially depending on what time of year you are going (ie are there a lot of after hour events) with 2 days I would suggest parkhoppers. It is so easy to go back and forth and with *only* 2 days it would enable you to do more and have greater flexibility. 3 days is usually the minimum I personally would recommend, esp for WDW travelers - there are a lot more attractions spread across those 2 parks than you think.

The benefit of a multi-day ticket would be for park hoppers as it is $60/ticket regardless of the days. Because pricing is date based I would assume some of your dates are a lower tier ticket, which is why doing them individually is cheaper.

FWIW, especially depending on what time of year you are going (ie are there a lot of after hour events) with 2 days I would suggest parkhoppers. It is so easy to go back and forth and with *only* 2 days it would enable you to do more and have greater flexibility. 3 days is usually the minimum I personally would recommend, esp for WDW travelers - there are a lot more attractions spread across those 2 parks than you think.
Thank you so much for the reply. The trip is rather last minute -in less than 2 weeks, YIKES! Visiting my daughter out there while she is doing an internship. I have nothing planned yet-just our flight out so far. She is a senior and so this is a grad celebration with her roommate as well. The days are tier 2, Monday and Tuesday.

I can add park hoppers for $65/day per tix with the single day. Do you know if I can upgrade them while there if I decide to wait? I think you are saying if I do 2 days PH is probably worth it, but if I do 3, then maybe PH for just one of them.
If we take a red eye out on Wednesday I might add the 3rd day-maybe with hoppers so we can do whatever we missed or want to do again. There is an event at DL on Tuesday-throwback night and we even considered getting tickets as we love the night events at WDW. But, I think I want to see both nighttime shows, so then we will do DL on Monday and CA on Tuesday. If we do the event we would miss the one of the nighttime shows. so many thoughts in my head, so little time to work them out. This is very unlike me. I could not make a decision to go earlier due to medical emergencies going on with my parents for the last 3 months.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply. The trip is rather last minute -in less than 2 weeks, YIKES! Visiting my daughter out there while she is doing an internship. I have nothing planned yet-just our flight out so far. She is a senior and so this is a grad celebration with her roommate as well. The days are tier 2, Monday and Tuesday.
It does look like I can book Genie Plus ahead with the 2 day, but maybe only the day of with single days. Do you know if it is a lot more to buy on the day of? I can add park hoppers for $65/day per tix with the single day. Do you know if I can upgrade them while there?
If we take a red eye out on Wednesday I might add the 3rd day-maybe with hoppers so we can do whatever we missed or want to do again. There is an event at DL on Tuesday-throwback night and we even considered getting tickets as we love the night events at WDW. But, if doing 2 days, I think I want to see both nighttime shows, so then we will do DL on Monday and CA on Tuesday. Otherwise, I considered CA on Monday, DL Throwback even Tuesday evening and PH on Wednesday with DL start. Too many thoughts.
If you’re considering park hoppers, do the two day ticket package with park hoppers. The $65 park hopper add-on is a flat rate for ticket packages regardless of the number of days. So if you do two single days tickets, it will cost $60 per day and will eliminate any cost savings of purchasing single day tickets. A three day ticket will have a cost savings over purchasing 3 single day tickets, as the cost per day goes down significantly with ticket packages the more days you purchase. If you decide to add-on park hoppers, you will need to go to the ticket booth to do so which may result in a significant wait, depending on how crowded it is. I recommend just choosing the tickets you want now and sticking with them.

Genie+ now has dynamic pricing, I’m not sure if that only applies to purchasing it day of or if the dynamic pricing is factored in when you purchase in advance. You can’t make any LL selections until you scan into the park regardless of when you purchase Genie+, so there isn’t a significant advantage when it comes to that.

Last edited:

I can add park hoppers for $65/day per tix with the single day. Do you know if I can upgrade them while there if I decide to wait? I think you are saying if I do 2 days PH is probably worth it, but if I do 3, then maybe PH for just one of them.
If we take a red eye out on Wednesday I might add the 3rd day-maybe with hoppers so we can do whatever we missed or want to do again. There is an event at DL on Tuesday-throwback night and we even considered getting tickets as we love the night events at WDW. But, I think I want to see both nighttime shows, so then we will do DL on Monday and CA on Tuesday. If we do the event we would miss the one of the nighttime shows. so many thoughts in my head, so little time to work them out. This is very unlike me. I could not make a decision to go earlier due to medical emergencies going on with my parents for the last 3 months.
I'm not 100%, but I believe you can upgrade the 3rd day to a hopper on that day, but you can't buy a single day hopper, if you buy 3 single day tix... if you buy a 3 day ticket you have to upgrade all three days, but like I said if you just want to hop on the 3rd day i think you can upgrade it at the park on that 3rd day.

I'm not 100%, but I believe you can upgrade the 3rd day to a hopper on that day, but you can't buy a single day hopper, if you buy 3 single day tix... if you buy a 3 day ticket you have to upgrade all three days, but like I said if you just want to hop on the 3rd day i think you can upgrade it at the park on that 3rd day.
The issue is that if you add the PH option onto a 3 day ticket on the last day, you are still paying $60 to do that. Or if you buy three 1 day tickets and only upgrade to the PH for the last day of your tickets, you still pay $65 to do that for one day. You could have paid $60 when you bought the 3 day ticket and had PH on ALL 3 days for a total of $60. As OP said, the PH option is $60 total, for whatever length of ticket you buy. It will be $65 for the one day ticket, or $60 total for a multi-day tickets, which covers ALL of days of a multi day ticket. So if you are thinking of doing PH, it is MUCH better to do it from the beginning so you get the PH for EVERY day of your multi day ticket, for $60 total. Doing any ticket upgrades/changes at the parks can be very, very time consuming at the ticket booths, and you lose your park reservations at times when you make ticket changes. If there are no more reservations available, then you can’t get into the parks. They no longer make exceptions for people who are upgrading tickets. So that is something else to keep in mind.

My overall advice is to get the 3 day ticket with PH included.

Last edited:
As well, if you have never been to DL, you may not understand how easy (and helpful) it is to have a PH. The entrances to the parks are about 100 yards apart. Sometimes one park gets too crowded, has too many ride break downs, or you just want to eat lunch in the other park. The value of a PH at DLR is SOOOO much more to me than the value of a PH when I am at WDW. I can definitely do without a PH at WDW since park hopping chews up so much time in transportation. But at DLR, you can hop in the span of about 2 minutes walking. Worth it. Especially if there is an event which close one park early, you can hop to the other park at that time.

From the Disneyland webpage, it seems like Throwback Nite has a fireworks show, so you would be getting a nighttime show that night. Meanwhile, the nighttime show at DL on Monday is just the projection show. How badly you want to see that particular projection show vs. seeing a nighttime show might influence your decision.
1680699687211.png

It will be $65 for the one day ticket, or $60 total for a multi-day tickets, which covers ALL of days of a multi day ticket.

Good to know.!!

if you have never been to DL, you may not understand how easy (and helpful) it is to have a PH.
Agreed, its almost silly not to have a hopper. (unless you don't end up using it. lol)

Good to know.!!

Agreed, its almost silly not to have a hopper. (unless you don't end up using it. lol)
The issue is that if you add the PH option onto a 3 day ticket on the last day, you are still paying $60 to do that. Or if you buy three 1 day tickets and only upgrade to the PH for the last day of your tickets, you still pay $65 to do that for one day. You could have paid $60 when you bought the 3 day ticket and had PH on ALL 3 days for a total of $60. As OP said, the PH option is $60 total, for whatever length of ticket you buy. It will be $65 for the one day ticket, or $60 total for a multi-day tickets, which covers ALL of days of a multi day ticket. So if you are thinking of doing PH, it is MUCH better to do it from the beginning so you get the PH for EVERY day of your multi day ticket, for $60 total. Doing any ticket upgrades/changes at the parks can be very, very time consuming at the ticket booths, and you lose your park reservations at times when you make ticket changes. If there are no more reservations available, then you can’t get into the parks. They no longer make exceptions for people who are upgrading tickets. So that is something else to keep in mind.

Thank you for this advice. I was considering the 3rd day PH if I buy single day tix since it was adding up to be a lot less to buy each day separately. I do see I can get a pretty good deal on Getaway Today if I combine with a hotel, but the problem is that since it is less than 2 weeks out, I am not too thrilled with the hotel choices left. I am currently between the Candy Cane Inn and Anaheim Hotel (my husband prefers to be as close as possible). I have heard he advice of going with PH from a few people. I guess my thoughts were that since I had never been, we would want one whole day/night at each park. I even thought about gettin 3 single day tix, but PH for the middle day and split them that day. I am clearly struggling with decisions. I never plan last minute! And, when I went to book our return flight, it had gone up over by over $200/ticket for the red eye flight. So, now day 3 may be out because the only reasonable flight is at 2:00 out of LAX.

Maybe you can fly in and out of LAX and get a round trip ticket for cheaper?
When I went to buy the tickets, the arrival flight was still reasonable, but the return had gone up. So, I decided to book a one way there in hopes it would come back down. I check several times a day. I did check multiple airlines as well.
We could do the expensive flight out, but its now over $1000 just for 2 of us to fly home. It's crazy!

When I went to buy the tickets, the arrival flight was still reasonable, but the return had gone up. So, I decided to book a one way there in hopes it would come back down. I check several times a day. I did check multiple airlines as well.
We could do the expensive flight out, but its now over $1000 just for 2 of us to fly home. It's crazy!
Use a dif browser and clear your cookies. The more you check the more the flight will continue to rise.

Use a dif browser and clear your cookies. The more you check the more the flight will continue to rise.
I will keep trying. Also tried incognito mode. so far, no luck I have not tried a different browser yet. Jetblue is the airline I have been looking at for a redeye flight. Even with the over $500/tix one way, it is still lower than others. Trying to justify spending more than $400 more to spend the whole day there, rather than take the 2:00 Delta flight. Stressing me out since I always preplan, use points and get the best deals possible, but circumstances did not allow me to book ahead.

I will keep trying. Also tried incognito mode. so far, no luck I have not tried a different browser yet. Jetblue is the airline I have been looking at for a redeye flight. Even with the over $500/tix one way, it is still lower than others. Trying to justify spending more than $400 more to spend the whole day there, rather than take the 2:00 Delta flight. Stressing me out since I always preplan, use points and get the best deals possible, but circumstances did not allow me to book ahead.
The answer is of course to do the 2:00 flight of the next day 😉

Take this advice for what it is, but I actually think someone who isn't familiar with Disneyland should consider not getting the hopper. Both parks have so much to offer that focusing on 1 per day is helpful to really experience it. I used to think I would never go to Disneyland without the hopper but our last 5 day trip we didn't get them and really enjoyed focusing on each park. If I went more often the hopper would be great for going to favorites but if you are newer or go less I actually think the hopper isn't worth it. Im usually in the minority tho..

Take this advice for what it is, but I actually think someone who isn't familiar with Disneyland should consider not getting the hopper. Both parks have so much to offer that focusing on 1 per day is helpful to really experience it. I used to think I would never go to Disneyland without the hopper but our last 5 day trip we didn't get them and really enjoyed focusing on each park. If I went more often the hopper would be great for going to favorites but if you are newer or go less I actually think the hopper isn't worth it. Im usually in the minority tho..
Very true.. Focusing is nice. Unless there is an event or some other reason you would need/want to switch parks.
I just always want to go where & when i want to. lol

Have you checked Orange County SNA or Long Beach LGB airports?? Surprisingly sometime they are cheaper than LAX especially with the cost of transportation if you need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter