Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnd response number 100000000000 to this question in this thread.

Its NOT meant to be a generic theme park land with music. I has been designed specifically to be like visiting a different country / planet.
:badpc: :surfweb::darth:
Disney’s official company line and the equivalent of giving your kid an empty box for Christmas and telling them you didn’t buy them toys so they could have a better time using their imaginations. Disney went cheap on us to avoid paying George Lucas his 25% for using content from the first 6 movies. Would anyone make a ride based on Jaws 4, or Rocky 7? There has to be a reason they ignored everything that made Star Wars great for the last 40 years???

Last edited:
RE: Smugglers Run: I don't want to ride an attraction where the outcome of what I do or don't do affects 3 other people. I don't care what you are supposed to do; it's a ride. I want to be able to watch the action on the screen and not worry about someone getting mad because I am just not as into SW as they are. I probably won't bother with it, but I do like Star Tours.
It is probably frustrating for someone who is a SW fanatic and the out come of the ride is very important to them. I get that. But I think there are a lot more like us who just want to be entertained and experience a ride without worrying about what we do or don't do. I think it is Disney's fault for setting it up this way. Maybe they could have made a version for the uber fan and another for those who could care less about doing the right thing and just want to enjoy it. Just MHO.

If you're concerned, just ask to switch with someone in the engineering role. You can sit back and do nothing and it will only barely affect the outcome of the ride.

And if anyone is really legitimately annoyed or cranky due to their "Score" on MF:SR, they need to get a wookiee-smack upside the head.

Disney went cheap on us to avoid paying George Lucas his 25% for using content from the first 6 movies.

Disney owns 100٪ of Lucasfilm. Why would the need to pay for property they own?

And if anyone is really legitimately annoyed or cranky due to their "Score" on MF:SR, they need to get a wookiee-smack upside the head.

That's something I've been a little concerned about it too but I've resolved to have fun on MFSR no matter the role I get.

Last edited:
aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnd response number 100000000000 to this question in this thread.

Its NOT meant to be a generic theme park land with music. I has been designed specifically to be like visiting a different country / planet. When you visit Paris / Rome / Munich/ St Petersburg / Hong Kong/ Auckland/ Johannesburg / Rio / Quebec you don't hear a rousing musical score as you walk down the street. You hear the local traffic noise, the hustle and bustle of random sounds, the locals speaking a "foreign" language etc etc.

THATS what you are experiencing in Batuu, you hear local traffic noise (aircraft landing and taking off) the hustle and bustle of random sounds and the citizens of Batuu using different words than you are used to hearing in the rest of the park..

:badpc: :surfweb::darth:
I actually see both sides of this, but maybe part of Disney's mistake was thinking that people who spent multiple thousands of dollars to go to a theme park actually wanted to go to a foreign land instead of a theme park.

Idk. For those who love everything about the land, music would be a detraction from the experience. For those who are seeking an emotional connection to Batuu, the John Williams score would probably help a lot.

RE: Smugglers Run: I don't want to ride an attraction where the outcome of what I do or don't do affects 3 other people. I don't care what you are supposed to do; it's a ride. I want to be able to watch the action on the screen and not worry about someone getting mad because I am just not as into SW as they are. I probably won't bother with it, but I do like Star Tours.
It is probably frustrating for someone who is a SW fanatic and the out come of the ride is very important to them. I get that. But I think there are a lot more like us who just want to be entertained and experience a ride without worrying about what we do or don't do. I think it is Disney's fault for setting it up this way. Maybe they could have made a version for the uber fan and another for those who could care less about doing the right thing and just want to enjoy it. Just MHO.

I think you can ask for your part to be automated...when the seat is not filled it's on automatic.

Been twice, once during the “hurricane” and last week. Waited under 15 minutes. The building is cool, but nothing interactive or fun to look at while waiting in line. They gave us a card both times and I was a pilot and a gunner. I was having issues steering and laughed a lot and it annoyed the other people on the ship- should have been more serious. No problem, their issue because there is no real control. As a gunner I just pushed a button the whole time. It was underwhelming and I’ll stay away and hope that helps the lines stay shorter. The actual park is also a bit confusing and many people were asking where places were, not user friendly.

I thought the queue is one of the best I've ever seen, nearly as good as Forbidden Journey and better than Gringotts. The hangar is amazing, there
so much to see. You've got the mechanics trying to fix the engine in the hangar, I have yet to hear the same dialogue...shadows in the windows...a fantastic view of the Falcon...and Hondo!! Hondo is amazing. It was thrilling the first time I saw him. I love his character on the Clone Wars and Rebels. Animatronic Hondo much better than the projections in Forbidden Journey that require you to be in the right position for the character to appear to be solid. Plus there's stuff to do on the datapad in line, though the finding stuff on the Falcon part needs some improvements.

If you owned Vader, Luke, and the content of the first 6 movies would you lock it away and keep it from the fans? Disney did and they must have a large motive

First of all, you can meet Darth Vader in the Launch Bay.

Secondly, it's called providing an experience that doesn't conflict with continuity & character integrity. Han Solo would not let on his baby let alone pilot it.

Now that Disney has created something that won't mess with the memory you have of the original characters (see: negative reaction to luke)and doesn't conflict with continuity, it's suddenly a "big mistake". First Star Wars fans chase Lucas away and now this ridiculous conspiracy. What you are claiming has no factual basis.

Last edited:
Do not worry, Disney will use the Force to bring back the greats / legends and everything we grew up watching! Just wait for it, it will come.

If you owned outright Vader, Luke, and the content of the first 6 movies would you lock it away and keep it from the fans? Disney did, and they must have a large motive to make such a dumb move.

The motive is simply. They are trying to cross promote their current movies. Setting the land 40 years in the "past" would not help them do this. It's not hard to understand.

Additionally, by setting the land in the "present" of the SW franchise, you can reference every part of the franchise, as it exists as "history" instead of stuff that hasn't happened yet.

Disney went cheap on us to avoid paying George Lucas his 25% for using content from the first 6 movies.

THIS. IS. A. LIE.

But considering you're linking videos to utter garbage people, I can't say I'm surprised that you're buying their nonsense.

Uh oh, we're starting to get out of hand.

As for people talking about the land not having classic characters or classic locations, yes, they don't depict the locations from the movies. But this is on purpose; it's not because they owe some royalty or don't have the rights. That's all hogwash. It's because they have a challenge; they have the Original Trilogy that everyone knows and loves, but they also have the new movies that are the current Star Wars stories that they want to promote and keep relevant. There are fans of both, believe it or not. Some only know the new movies (my wife and a few of my friends), and others only know the original trilogy.
Disney doesn't want to ignore one over the other, so they created a new "planet" that is basically a clean slate. They can include whatever they want in this land. The focus is more towards the new movies, since that's the active stories they have, but they aren't ignoring the original either. They're telling a story, not just showcasing Star Wars stuff. I understand some people don't like it, but the confusion as to why Disney did this is easily explained. There's no conspiracy about it.

I'm really hoping that given time many of the "classic" aspects of Star Wars - it's characters, stories and locations will be added. As a soon to be visitor I'm not planning to go to SWGE unless there's a chance to get on RotR. But we're planning to return in 2021 and are hopeful changes throughout the land will have improved and progressed.

I absolutely get that Disney want to sell "Their" Star Wars, but they have to understand that it's been around since 1978, not just since The Force Awakens in 2015 therefore older characters/plots/locations are far better known by a far wider audience and surely it makes absolute sense to target as many of those fans as possible.

I absolutely get that Disney want to sell "Their" Star Wars, but they have to understand that it's been around since 1978, not just since The Force Awakens in 2015 therefore older characters/plots/locations are far better known by a far wider audience and surely it makes absolute sense to target as many of those fans as possible.

I think this is exactly why they COULDN'T do that. Star Wars reaches too far back to effectively tap into the nostalgia and provide that fantasy experience within an all-too-familiar world in that franchise. They knew they couldn't use a world from one of their movies due to the look of being a blatant advertisement for their upcoming film(s). They knew they couldn't use older movies because none of the planets lend themselves to a "realistic" experience across both FL & CA environments. Tatoine is a dessert and outside of the farms and small town is pretty desolate. Hoth is a desolate ice planet and Disney would have had to build it entirely indoors. Dagobah and Endor are about the only two that would fit the experience in either location. Beyond building a huge version of Swiss Family Robinson tree house, I'm not sure what else they could do here. The lightsaber experience might be justified on Dagobah but not the droid building or cantina.

Additionally, the original face characters are almost too familiar and you know fans would be looking for perfection from their recreation. Plus quite frankly they are too old to use for new material regarding the OT. It's not like Harry Potter, where the movies and the land were just a few years apart so the actors cold reprise their roles (Radcliffe refused due to not wanting to be "the boy who lived" forever. Right now I remember him as the "dead body that farts", so he may have wanted to re-think that...). If they were going to use face characters from an older trilogy, then PT would have been their better shot. And I think we all know how that would have gone over.

WIth all of this in mind, their only option was to create something brand new that while still blatant crossover marketing, still offers guests a unique Star Wars experience. Yes there's a lot of merchandising opportunities that Disney has leveraged for the Star Wars fan who can afford it. But I've paid for LARP before and this is essentially a living version of free-to-play with "micro"transactions (using micro very loosely here) for an enhanced experience. I've accepted this was really the most realistic expectation of what we could have gotten from them, even without the number crunching Chapek at the forefront.

Disney’s official company line and the equivalent of giving your kid an empty box for Christmas and telling them you didn’t buy them toys so they could have a better time using their imaginations. Disney went cheap on us to avoid paying George Lucas his 25% for using content from the first 6 movies. Would anyone make a ride based on Jaws 4, or Rocky 7? There has to be a reason they ignored everything that made Star Wars great for the last 40 years???
This is at least the third time you've gone with this lie and you've been told the first two times that there's no truth to this so I don't know what to tell you at this point.

People dont have to like everything. They can dislike Disney stuff without having to justify why.

I feel sorry for those who aren't finding enjoyment in Galaxys Edge because I find it immensely enjoyable. More so than any other land in the park or recent addition Disney has made. But its not a slight against ME that they don't like it. Its totally ok.

I think this is exactly why they COULDN'T do that. Star Wars reaches too far back to effectively tap into the nostalgia and provide that fantasy experience within an all-too-familiar world in that franchise. They knew they couldn't use a world from one of their movies due to the look of being a blatant advertisement for their upcoming film(s). They knew they couldn't use older movies because none of the planets lend themselves to a "realistic" experience across both FL & CA environments. Tatoine is a dessert and outside of the farms and small town is pretty desolate. Hoth is a desolate ice planet and Disney would have had to build it entirely indoors. Dagobah and Endor are about the only two that would fit the experience in either location. Beyond building a huge version of Swiss Family Robinson tree house, I'm not sure what else they could do here. The lightsaber experience might be justified on Dagobah but not the droid building or cantina.

Additionally, the original face characters are almost too familiar and you know fans would be looking for perfection from their recreation. Plus quite frankly they are too old to use for new material regarding the OT. It's not like Harry Potter, where the movies and the land were just a few years apart so the actors cold reprise their roles (Radcliffe refused due to not wanting to be "the boy who lived" forever. Right now I remember him as the "dead body that farts", so he may have wanted to re-think that...). If they were going to use face characters from an older trilogy, then PT would have been their better shot. And I think we all know how that would have gone over.

WIth all of this in mind, their only option was to create something brand new that while still blatant crossover marketing, still offers guests a unique Star Wars experience. Yes there's a lot of merchandising opportunities that Disney has leveraged for the Star Wars fan who can afford it. But I've paid for LARP before and this is essentially a living version of free-to-play with "micro"transactions (using micro very loosely here) for an enhanced experience. I've accepted this was really the most realistic expectation of what we could have gotten from them, even without the number crunching Chapek at the forefront.

I get you with the whole locations absolutely, they needed a blank canvas in which to set the land. I don't agree with the characters though because human figures from Disney films appear in parades etc and the kids know who they are - Poppins, Belle etc. Give a brunette a Leia haircut from the original film and people will know exactly who she is supposed to be, so I get what you're saying but still feel they could incorporate older character more - and of course characters like Darth Vader, Darth Maul, The Emperor, JaJa, Jabba etc etc etc can be done. So there are tons of options and opportunities, that I'm still hopefull will get used at some point to expand the appeal of SWGE.

I get you with the whole locations absolutely, they needed a blank canvas in which to set the land. I don't agree with the characters though because human figures from Disney films appear in parades etc and the kids know who they are - Poppins, Belle etc. Give a brunette a Leia haircut from the original film and people will know exactly who she is supposed to be, so I get what you're saying but still feel they could incorporate older character more - and of course characters like Darth Vader, Darth Maul, The Emperor, JaJa, Jabba etc etc etc can be done. So there are tons of options and opportunities, that I'm still hopefull will get used at some point to expand the appeal of SWGE.

But Poppins, Belle, etc. are different. We've never seen them age or really develop into someone different beyond their respective movies. We've only seen one of them change faces (but I would estimate Mary Poppins is immortal which is why she still looks so young in the sequel despite Jane & Michael aging).

In the case of Star Wars, we've seen these characters age out and develop from their original incarnations. We've seen changes that if ignored would conflict with the entire experience of Galaxy's edge. And as I noted, people would be looking for far more perfection from these characters than they would Disney's own movie properties. Your argument stems from people not seeing all the movies. The issue with OT face characters is that young versions in the current era doesn't make sense and using aged versions makes them unrecognizable.

The way it was explained in the Galaxy's Edge infomercial....

The rationale for creating a new land, was to give visitors an opportunity to create a new story, rather than stepping into an existing story, or I think the wording was, "Stepping into someone else's story."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter