Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

You do know that Scott Trowbridge, lead imagineer on SWGE, was the lead creative director of both WWoHP?
they are different and should not be compared. It's like comparing fantasyland to Seuss Landing
And the Spider-Man attraction at Universal.

....it has no Star Wars in it!

If you read any description of RotR, it will tell you something about General Organa, Rey, and Kylo Ren. Here's the problem: Nobody knows who they are. If you don't believe me, just ask people around you who General Organa is, then ask them who Princess Leia is. I tried it on my husband and kids, and nobody but me knows who General Organa is, and we even watched Episodes 7 and 8! I didn't know it either until I read it once by accident. Princess Leia is an iconic American figure. General Organa is a minor character in a couple of forgettable movies among the zillion forgettable movies made every year.

And RotR is about a Star Wars battle that nobody has ever heard of. It will be popular because it's fun to move around in a cart, but not near as popular as it should be, just like Smuggler's Run. My kids liked Smuggler's Run (they always got the pilot role, for some reason), but they didn't recognize any of the characters or scenes in there besides the falcon itself, so they liked it no more than Star Tours. RotR is a trackless ride, which is new and interesting, but so is the Mickey Minnie Railroad ride and the Ratatouille ride. I am waiting to see Mickey and Ratatouille beat out RotR in wait time and popularity. (I will be spending my fastpasses on them rather than RotR, for sure.) For one thing, they will be more popular with kids. For another, they are more Disney.

To this day, Disney have not admitted that they screwed up Star Wars Land big time by forgetting to put Star Wars in it. But one thing they cannot deny forever, and that's their profit margin. Come December when It's a Small World beats out RotR, Disney will have to face the truth. (You think I'm exaggerating? When I was at WDW last week, not even a month after SWGE's opening, Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise both had a longer wait (55min) than Smuggler's Run (45min). FoP had 135 minutes wait.)

For those people who claim that GE has the Falcon, and therefore it has Star Wars in it, here is my answer: I have the 5000-piece Lego Millennium Falcon set in my basement. I also have various Darth Vader and Storm Trooper masks, blasters, light sabers, the X-Wing, and various other SW junk scattered around the house, like any family with boys. Doesn't make my house Star Wars Land, does it?
When I look at WDW's description online for RotR, the names I see are Kylo Ren, Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron, and BB-8... and I can tell you that most younger kids I know today know who these characters are. Not only that, but I as a lifelong SW fan myself can attest that these newbies really are memorable and important characters in my own SW experience.

It may be an awful design to you, but the fact is people ARE buying those things. Maybe not you, and maybe not your friends. But people are.
I will agree just based on the reports of droid parts shortages, but how sustainable is that? Even if you are the most hardcore Star Wars fan, just how many $200 light sabers do you need?

Certain posters on this site love to put their big negative opinions all around in multiple threads, across multiple boards, instead of simply moving on with their life. Why, I'll never know.

Also, how can someone have claimed to watch all the Star Wars movies and not know that Leia is an Organa? You mean her first name isn't "Princess" and her last name "Leia"?

Last edited:
I enjoyed GE during AP preview and I'm looking forward to visiting again in November. If I hadn't researched it a bit, it wouldn't have been what I was expecting because it wasn't a known location with Luke and Han wandering about. Despite that, I didn't find it at all disappointing.

I'm not a big SW fan. I saw OT in theaters as each was released- I was elementary/ middle school age during those years and liked them. I never re-watched any in their entirety and only saw parts of the prequels while Mr.(who is a huge fan) watched. I watched The Force Awakens as research. My kids love the animated series, prequels, and sequels, so between those and video games and toys, I've caught bits and pieces. I recognized enough to make it feel somewhat familiar and I did research a bit, so I knew what to expect.

The role play aspect is right up my alley (regular comic con attendee in my younger days) and CMs were great even during previews.I absolutely loved Oga's! I was hoisting my ale and singing drinking songs just like I was vacationing on Batuu.
I didn't really enjoy riding SR. I was gunner and if I tried to look through the front, I was motion sick. If I didn't look forward, I was a little bored by just staring at my target and being bounced around. I still though the theming and idea of it were amazing.

Have you been or just making a judgement off pics and video. I have not seen one person that has been there that has not been blown away. Some are not 100% in on MFSR but still enjoyed it. If the rumors of the Rise of the Resistance are true, that ride will be far and away the most technologically advanced and immersive experience in any theme park.
I just read a prediction that wait times for the new ride could be 6 hrs. Add the exhorbitant cost of park tickets and the only thing blown away will be my retirement fund. I'm watching that tv special now, and seeing people sitting at the chess table reminded me of how we went through that queue twice and there were always too many other people so we didn't get a photo op. They push you through like cattle through a chute; I did not even get a photo of the millenium falcon before being pushed through. There is no relaxing and enjoying an immersive experience in the way you can experience the Harry Potter areas at Universal. I did not see any Star Wars characters to interact with, and the app didn't work. The food was beyond awful and way overpriced. The "starcruiser experience" mentioned in the tv show is phenomenally overpriced (they failed to mention that), way beyond the means of almost anyone. That they are promoting these as things people can do when you really can't is disheartening.

I just read a prediction that wait times for the new ride could be 6 hrs. Add the exhorbitant cost of park tickets and the only thing blown away will be my retirement fund. I'm watching that tv special now, and seeing people sitting at the chess table reminded me of how we went through that queue twice and there were always too many other people so we didn't get a photo op. They push you through like cattle through a chute; I did not even get a photo of the millenium falcon before being pushed through. There is no relaxing and enjoying an immersive experience in the way you can experience the Harry Potter areas at Universal. I did not see any Star Wars characters to interact with, and the app didn't work. The food was beyond awful and way overpriced. The "starcruiser experience" mentioned in the tv show is phenomenally overpriced (they failed to mention that), way beyond the means of almost anyone. That they are promoting these as things people can do when you really can't is disheartening.
6 hours!!!??? Maybe they really need a virtual queue for RotR so people can enjoy the park(s)rather than just stand in a queue for that length of time. 6 HOURS!!!???

It's really interesting to read all of the opinions as to why attendance at SWGE isn't what Disney had hoped. They each make some interesting points.
I am waiting until more of the new and hyped stuff (ROTR, Tron, Ratatouille, and Space 220) are all open (and also maybe some of the crazy-high crowd sizes have subsided) so that I can experience everything I want in one seven-day trip--especially since I'm nowhere near being rich and I don't live in Florida. I guess that means my trip won't be until January 2022 (after 50th Anniversary crowds are gone), but I do also hope I won't have to wait that far into the future. I'll keep my eyes on internet reports on attendance numbers and prediction calendars and hope for the best.

I will agree just based on the reports of droid parts shortages, but how sustainable is that? Even if you are the most hardcore Star Wars fan, just how many $200 light sabers do you need?

WHEN we do go back to WDW and GE, I will def be in Savi's for the lightsaber "experience" again! Much like riding rides, this is about the experience of building the lighsaber and when done you get a higher end quality souvenir to boot! I know of several SW fan who have multiple lighsabers bought already prebuilt so considering that there are 4 "types" who knows, let the fan base have at it!!

6 hours!!!??? Maybe they really need a virtual queue for RotR so people can enjoy the park(s)rather than just stand in a queue for that length of time. 6 HOURS!!!???
I hope they're wrong, but it was some people who calculate that stuff all the time (with fancy computers etc., so it could be true). I agree about the virtual queue. I read about bathroom passes and selling food in line, but Volcano Bay's virtual queue (tapu tapu) was much more humane then making you spend the majority of your park ticket price in line. Plus I can't walk or stand for that long. And they said people who go to the bathroom then go through the fast pass line to a holding area until their party makes it through the rest of the line, but what if everyone in your party has to go to the bathroom?

Look, I like Galaxy's Edge, but I'll be the first to admit it needs "more." RotR will help, but even then...."more."

That can take the shape of - more characters, more entertainment, the stunt show, more rides....

I'd love it if the land had a play area, I'd love it if there were more things you could touch, like that sole speeder bike you can sit on. More hands on stuff, more for kids, more to do.

I agree, the return visitors aren't going to be buying droid and saber after droid and saber....and people aren't going to want to go to Oga's every time.

More, please.

MFSR was also predicted to be a6 hour wait, it was planned by operations and the extended queue was set up before it opened. And it did hit the 6 hour mark on opening day, in the morning, I was there. But that was the only time it did, again without fp. RotR wil hit that on opening day in bet but beyond that we'll see

where have you seen official pricing on the Starcruiser? I've been searching for it
As for the time inside the MF main hold room, you do have time to take your picture, sometimes people just sit on the table but you can ask them to move after their pic is taken. You can also take a pic next to the medical bay and other areas inside, the CM are trying to load as efficiently as possible so your color will be called in a matter of 3 mins so it's not like you can stay in there forever. This room is a main complaint from CM, because they know people want more time but they are actually trying to load the ride. once you exit the ride there's another great pic opportunity and no one will rush you in that area (where the ship is interacting by flashing lights and toppled cans)

Look, I like Galaxy's Edge, but I'll be the first to admit it needs "more." RotR will help, but even then...."more."

That can take the shape of - more characters, more entertainment, the stunt show, more rides....

I'd love it if the land had a play area, I'd love it if there were more things you could touch, like that sole speeder bike you can sit on. More hands on stuff, more for kids, more to do.

I agree, the return visitors aren't going to be buying droid and saber after droid and saber....and people aren't going to want to go to Oga's every time.

More, please.
As a big Star Wars fan I gladly welcome more added to the land. I like what they have now, but adding more stuff like you mentioned would only add to the excitement. I do think though that with time they will. After RotR opens up, at which point the whole land will officially be open, we might see more stuff get added or changed. I don't expect them to leave the land as is.

My real hope is that Star Wars weekends come back in some form. Those were the real Star Wars experiences at Disney.

My sister went yesterday to the one at DL for the first time. I was there with her and her husband and son (husband and son went during the preview time in June, but she had to work). She basically said "It LOOKS really cool. The artistic style is great and they did a great job on that part. But I mean, there's not much to actually DO here. It needs at least 2 more rides." She was ready to go after walking around and visiting the shops briefly. She had no interest in the ride or its 55 minute wait time. The rest of us had already ridden it several time and the kid, who is an 8 year old boy who LOVES Star Wars, by the way, said "I'd rather ride Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion than wait for the MF ride." He built a droid with his dad last time, and was looking to spend some of his allowance on some droid accessories. He found a few packs of things he liked, turned them over and said "Eighteen DOLLARS??? For THIS???" It was hilarious. It was literally 2 little plastic attachments that don't even do anything, you just stick them on the droid's side. And it was $18. He was like "Totally NOT worth it. I'll just buy some Wishables instead." He did ask for some milk, and I told him I thought the green one was better than the blue, and his dad was curious because he hated the blue milk, and they did like the green milk much better, but my sister was like "I can't believe that was $8. Holy cow. We're not buying that every time we come here so you better enjoy it now."

I guess it's just really hard to make rides most everyone loves...they did it with Slinky Dog and with Flight of Passage but missed with:

Navi River
Milleneum Falcon Smugglers Run
Seven Dwarves Mine Train (this one is debatable...but a lot of people were underwhelmed when it opened)

I hope Guardians Coaster, Ratatouille ride, Minnie and Mickey Runaway Train, Tron coaster and most of all Rise of the Resistance are hits!

I will also say that I was underwhelmed when new Fantasyland opened. Was a lot of hype for that one. Now I love it though.

My sister went yesterday to the one at DL for the first time. I was there with her and her husband and son (husband and son went during the preview time in June, but she had to work). She basically said "It LOOKS really cool. The artistic style is great and they did a great job on that part. But I mean, there's not much to actually DO here. It needs at least 2 more rides." She was ready to go after walking around and visiting the shops briefly. She had no interest in the ride or its 55 minute wait time. The rest of us had already ridden it several time and the kid, who is an 8 year old boy who LOVES Star Wars, by the way, said "I'd rather ride Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion than wait for the MF ride." He built a droid with his dad last time, and was looking to spend some of his allowance on some droid accessories. He found a few packs of things he liked, turned them over and said "Eighteen DOLLARS??? For THIS???" It was hilarious. It was literally 2 little plastic attachments that don't even do anything, you just stick them on the droid's side. And it was $18. He was like "Totally NOT worth it. I'll just buy some Wishables instead." He did ask for some milk, and I told him I thought the green one was better than the blue, and his dad was curious because he hated the blue milk, and they did like the green milk much better, but my sister was like "I can't believe that was $8. Holy cow. We're not buying that every time we come here so you better enjoy it now."
Thats how I feel abiut Pandora. Its pretty but there is nothing to do there. It only has 2 rides, one of which makes me violently ill and the other is a snoozefest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter