Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

My sister went yesterday to the one at DL for the first time. I was there with her and her husband and son (husband and son went during the preview time in June, but she had to work). She basically said "It LOOKS really cool. The artistic style is great and they did a great job on that part. But I mean, there's not much to actually DO here. It needs at least 2 more rides." She was ready to go after walking around and visiting the shops briefly. She had no interest in the ride or its 55 minute wait time. The rest of us had already ridden it several time and the kid, who is an 8 year old boy who LOVES Star Wars, by the way, said "I'd rather ride Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion than wait for the MF ride." He built a droid with his dad last time, and was looking to spend some of his allowance on some droid accessories. He found a few packs of things he liked, turned them over and said "Eighteen DOLLARS??? For THIS???" It was hilarious. It was literally 2 little plastic attachments that don't even do anything, you just stick them on the droid's side. And it was $18. He was like "Totally NOT worth it. I'll just buy some Wishables instead." He did ask for some milk, and I told him I thought the green one was better than the blue, and his dad was curious because he hated the blue milk, and they did like the green milk much better, but my sister was like "I can't believe that was $8. Holy cow. We're not buying that every time we come here so you better enjoy it now."

Expensive souvenirs, overpriced food, long wait times for rides...

Again, these aren't SWGE problems. These are core Disney theme park problems.

Thats how I feel abiut Pandora. Its pretty but there is nothing to do there. It only has 2 rides, one of which makes me violently ill and the other is a snoozefest.
Same here, except I don't mind FoP. I've seen several people here say how they found Pandora more interesting and had a better time there, and I just can't understand that. Aside from the two rides, one of which is a rather short, uninteresting boat ride (my opinion of course), and a giftshop/small restaurant, there's nothing there. It's pretty, but aside from the rides there just really isn't that much there.

Expensive souvenirs, overpriced food, long wait times for rides...

Again, these aren't SWGE problems. These are core Disney theme park problems.
55mins is not long wait time in all honesty. It's just longer than what people have gotten used to with ways to get ahead (FP/MP) and/or people who just wouldn't want to wait that long at all. It's not long for a new attraction, especially as the only one in the new land.

If you were underwhelmed by FOP then you are hard to impress!
I was also underwhelmed by FoP.

Just off the top, I find the pre-ride flat out annoying. Mind, I don't mind the Soarin' pre-ride.

Second, I think it is sad they only made one version of FoP. If Star Tours can have multiple versions, then making only one version of FoP is a bit lame. Every new e-ride should keep pushing the boundaries, as WDW used to do.

Third, while parts of the queue are fantastic, the boring concrete section at the end of the queue is just horrible. It is just so very UGLY!

Stack it up against Haunted Mansion's pre-ride, and there is much room to make FoP a good deal more interesting to see.

Mind, FoP isn't bad, but imagining a better FoP is pretty easy.

I was also underwhelmed by FoP.

Just off the top, I find the pre-ride flat out annoying. Mind, I don't mind the Soarin' pre-ride.

Second, I think it is sad they only made one version of FoP. If Star Tours can have multiple versions, then making only one version of FoP is a bit lame. Every new e-ride should keep pushing the boundaries, as WDW used to do.

Third, while parts of the queue are fantastic, the boring concrete section at the end of the queue is just horrible. It is just so very UGLY!

Stack it up against Haunted Mansion's pre-ride, and there is much room to make FoP a good deal more interesting to see.

Mind, FoP isn't bad, but imagining a better FoP is pretty easy.
Are you talking about Flight of passage? I wasn't sure if you meant SR

I take a huge issue with the no Star Wars music too...totally kills the vibe of the land it’s so barren and dead.

55mins is not long wait time in all honesty.
Yes, yes it is.

Time is $.

I suppose it depends how much each of us is paying to be at WDW. A local resident with an AP pays far less per minute than folks who come from the places like the west coast, Europe, or Africa.

Mind, I know folks who used to drive all over town to 'save' a penny per gallon of gas!

Are you talking about Flight of passage? I wasn't sure if you meant SR
Yes, Flight of Passage. (per an earlier post)

Parts of the ride are well made, but other parts could be improved.
Mind, every time I see the Muppets, I'm almost overcome by a desire to see a variety of shows in that space, too! It kills me, that every line is the same every time.

A little variety would have been so very easy.

Look at Jungle Cruise. It is very low tech, yet people adore the variety of it, and the skippers don't even have to change the jokes much at all.

That's what the new Falcon ride got right - a bit of variety!

Light sabers instead of wands!
At least you can buy a wand that interacts with the lands.
And the Spider-Man attraction at Universal.
Still a great attraction!!
Look, I like Galaxy's Edge, but I'll be the first to admit it needs "more." RotR will help, but even then...."more."

That can take the shape of - more characters, more entertainment, the stunt show, more rides....

I'd love it if the land had a play area, I'd love it if there were more things you could touch, like that sole speeder bike you can sit on. More hands on stuff, more for kids, more to do.

I agree, the return visitors aren't going to be buying droid and saber after droid and saber....and people aren't going to want to go to Oga's every time.

More, please.
Yes to the "more" please. As another poster said Star Wars Weekends had a real fun excitement/vibe.

Got to visit the World version last month. Wait/crowd times very very low-had booked a room for one night to get the EEMH just in case. Got into park at 7:07, by 9 a we were leaving the park after walking around GE, SDD, AS2, Tot, RnR. The longest wait time was less than 30 minutes for SR. It was very very cool for this star wars nerd to walk into the Millenium Falcon!! The ride itself was fun, however it was my DD and mine first time through and clearly the couple we were paired with had been through a few times before. I really didn't enjoy being SCREAMED at how bad of a pilot I was while trying to just enjoy the experience. THIS dampened the whole experience, and when we went back the second day neither me or DD felt any desire at all to wait in the (short) line to do it again. We did walk around the land more, still no desire to build a droid or lightsaber.

This was primarily a Universal trip for HHN. We added 2 days to Disney (morning to afternoons) to do GE. By comparison we waited in much longer line for Hagrids twice (no ride breakdown either) as that attraction WAS worth the longer wait.

Also-purely my experience-we went on FoP that visit (we both had multiple rides before) with a family that were on it the first time-huge excitement coming off. Hagrids-first timers and repeaters huge excitement coming off. SR-yes excitement coming off but also focused on (for repeaters) how to be better next time or how their "pod" was awful etc (and not just with the couple we were with-I laughed it off, but but no denying it played a part in not wanting to go back).

I'm a huge Disney fan, but given the choice? I'd pick WWoHP and Hagrid's ride over MF every time. Hoping RotR really blows it out to the galaxy and changes that. But GE needs some life to it-more cosplayers? music? roaming characters? With Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley: Seeing kids in robes casting spells, the frog choir, tales spun by Beadle the Bard, and now-death eaters roaming Hogsmeade) adds a life and energy that currently GE is missing for me. Playing with my phone to interact with the land didn't appeal to me as Disney already reinforces the need to have phone in hand at all times.

At least you can buy a wand that interacts with the lands.
Still a great attraction!!

Yes to the "more" please. As another poster said Star Wars Weekends had a real fun excitement/vibe.

Got to visit the World version last month. Wait/crowd times very very low-had booked a room for one night to get the EEMH just in case. Got into park at 7:07, by 9 a we were leaving the park after walking around GE, SDD, AS2, Tot, RnR. The longest wait time was less than 30 minutes for SR. It was very very cool for this star wars nerd to walk into the Millenium Falcon!! The ride itself was fun, however it was my DD and mine first time through and clearly the couple we were paired with had been through a few times before. I really didn't enjoy being SCREAMED at how bad of a pilot I was while trying to just enjoy the experience. THIS dampened the whole experience, and when we went back the second day neither me or DD felt any desire at all to wait in the (short) line to do it again. We did walk around the land more, still no desire to build a droid or lightsaber.

This was primarily a Universal trip for HHN. We added 2 days to Disney (morning to afternoons) to do GE. By comparison we waited in much longer line for Hagrids twice (no ride breakdown either) as that attraction WAS worth the longer wait.

Also-purely my experience-we went on FoP that visit (we both had multiple rides before) with a family that were on it the first time-huge excitement coming off. Hagrids-first timers and repeaters huge excitement coming off. SR-yes excitement coming off but also focused on (for repeaters) how to be better next time or how their "pod" was awful etc (and not just with the couple we were with-I laughed it off, but but no denying it played a part in not wanting to go back).

I'm a huge Disney fan, but given the choice? I'd pick WWoHP and Hagrid's ride over MF every time. Hoping RotR really blows it out to the galaxy and changes that. But GE needs some life to it-more cosplayers? music? roaming characters? With Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley: Seeing kids in robes casting spells, the frog choir, tales spun by Beadle the Bard, and now-death eaters roaming Hogsmeade) adds a life and energy that currently GE is missing for me. Playing with my phone to interact with the land didn't appeal to me as Disney already reinforces the need to have phone in hand at all times.
I think it might be as simple as 5 droids roaming around. That would add a lot of atmosphere. Also, imho Hagrid's motorbike is the best attraction in Orlando at the moment. Glad you had fun!!
And..... the obligatory I miss sww comment

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, much bigger than Harry Potter. But I too would choose Hagrid's rides over Smugglers Run. In fact, I'd probably choose it over many of Disney's rides. It's a really good ride.

I think the Harry Potter lands at Universal, and frankly the whole Harry Potter franchise, lends itself better to a theme park experience than Star Wars. Star Wars is made up of many locations, with a big appeal of the whole thing being spaceships, lightsabers, and using the force. That's a little hard to recreate in a theme park. Whereas Harry Potter takes place in really only three primary locations, all of which have been recreated. Plus, you don't have 30+ years of different movies, shows, books, etc. on the subject matter as you do with Star Wars. And, certainly not last or least, but you have the new movies that Disney is trying to promote while also trying to please people that only care about the older movies. Star Wars is just a much harder thing to bring to life in the theme parks.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, much bigger than Harry Potter. But I too would choose Hagrid's rides over Smugglers Run. In fact, I'd probably choose it over many of Disney's rides. It's a really good ride.

I think the Harry Potter lands at Universal, and frankly the whole Harry Potter franchise, lends itself better to a theme park experience than Star Wars. Star Wars is made up of many locations, with a big appeal of the whole thing being spaceships, lightsabers, and using the force. That's a little hard to recreate in a theme park. Whereas Harry Potter takes place in really only three primary locations, all of which have been recreated. Plus, you don't have 30+ years of different movies, shows, books, etc. on the subject matter as you do with Star Wars. And, certainly not last or least, but you have the new movies that Disney is trying to promote while also trying to please people that only care about the older movies. Star Wars is just a much harder thing to bring to life in the theme parks.
Especially as a land as opposed to an entire park

Yes, yes it is.

Time is $.

I suppose it depends how much each of us is paying to be at WDW. A local resident with an AP pays far less per minute than folks who come from the places like the west coast, Europe, or Africa.

Mind, I know folks who used to drive all over town to 'save' a penny per gallon of gas!
It's not that long especially given what it is (ETA: meaning the it attraction in the new it land and no FP to artificially inflate the wait time). Not wanting to wait in a line with that wait is different. 4hrs for FOP now that I will agree is long but 55mins for this brand new attraction? No.

But some people just don't want to wait in a line, it's understandable. There are people on the Boards that are in the "if it's more than 20mins nope" good for them but for me that may mean I never get to ride X ride. You're speaking to someone who gets to WDW about every 6 years and has no plans to go back to DLR anytime soon so no not about being a local or having an AP.

Last edited:
I really didn't enjoy being SCREAMED at how bad of a pilot I was while trying to just enjoy the experience.
Yipes someone actually did that? That's just plain awful. I know some people take that aspect seriously but no way does that mean you should be like that to another person. They never should have even said a thing around you. How rude and inconsiderate.

And for all the posters who were concerned with the algebraic math calculations in this thread, now Venn diagrams and ‘hypothetical segmentation’ can be discussed. 😉

Does this mean I can post how I calculated that 192 was the number of Savi's lightsabers one would need? People freaked out when I posted the calculations for the FP+ vs non-FP+ standby lines, and it wasn't pertinent to the joke about the # of lightsabers, so I left it out of the original post, but if math is back on the table now... 😏

Does this mean I can post how I calculated that 192 was the number of Savi's lightsabers one would need?
Yes! 😮 I thought you threw out a random ‘192’ but with all the types, hilts, and color combos, I can now see how that was a calculated amount on your part.

55mins is not long wait time in all honesty. It's just longer than what people have gotten used to with ways to get ahead (FP/MP) and/or people who just wouldn't want to wait that long at all. It's not long for a new attraction, especially as the only one in the new land.

It is not that it was too long to wait. It was that the ride wasn't a "must do" to anyone in our party, even my sister who had never done it. We all said we would wait if my nephew wanted to ride it. He said "we can skip it...I've already been on it 3 times." And then he chose to ride Pirates, and we waited 25 minutes, and then we went over to DCA and waited 40 min for Incredicoaster.

I found it curious that this 8 year old boy, who is Star Wars obsessed was like "been there done that, don't need to do it again." He was Kylo Ren for Halloween last year, a Stormtrooper the year before that, and a jedi the year before that. He is all in on the new trilogy. And he is just like "meh."

FWIW, he has probably ridden Incredicoaster 100 times. Didn't even blink at the 40 minute wait. I though it was funny that he thinks he's done MF enough at "3 times." Not ha ha funny, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter