Amazing Race season 36

Let me ask this, does anyone else feel that the term "Military Pilots" is being used loosly for the one team. I guess they are just out there having fun, but in my mind pilots in general and I would think military in particular would be a bit more I dont know polished...

Watching the dance routine this week I kept thinking of James Tolkan's line, You'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog s*** out of Hong Kong.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. When in the military (active duty) yes, there is a certain type of behavior that is expected (though some of that might be more stereotype than truth). But people have personalities outside of their careers, military pilots included. I don't see any issue with how they're behaving.

Let me ask this, does anyone else feel that the term "Military Pilots" is being used loosly for the one team. I guess they are just out there having fun, but in my mind pilots in general and I would think military in particular would be a bit more I dont know polished...

Watching the dance routine this week I kept thinking of James Tolkan's line, You'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog s*** out of Hong Kong.
I'm not following your thinking either. They are listed as Air Force pilots, said they met during fighter pilot training and one is stationed at Spokane, WA. Had to google James Tolkan, if you are equating them to Top Gun pilots, its been many years since I have seen it but I thought they came off as real jerks in that movie; these guys on AR seem fine to me.

Not at all. I don't understand your line of thinking here.

My younger son asked that we get him a stick shift car when he got his license. He found a little souped up hatchback being sold down the street from us. Of course, now that he’s in college and the car is home, I enjoy driving the car occasionally too 😁
If I ever were to apply for TAR Canada, I'd definitely work on driving stick. I know how in theory, but in practice, it's obviously a different story.

Having worked at Tinker AFB, they are all just like you and I. Good at things, not so good at others. However, I can guarantee you that if a call comes up, they are completely different people getting ready to fly that plane. I was working the day the Iraq war started and there was such a difference in everyone on the base. It was ALL business, even coming in to buy a cup of coffee. Before there may have been small talk, joking but now it was all business. I've seen colonels slip and fall on the sidewalk and do a face plant. Just like all of us.

I don't have a problem with the mother son. At least he isn't yelling at her and she's helping him live out his dream of being on the race. I have a problem with the nurses. Something tells me they won't be together long.

I like the mom and son team. I don’t expect them to win, but they have a good attitude. Ricky and Cesar are a great attitude team also. Their Spanish is helping them so far. I’m wondering if there is a U turn coming up somewhere, they would be a target. The firefighters keep pulling it out from last, they need to get their act together.

OMG, so many teams got on my nerves this week.
1. The mother/son team. She needs to stop acting like an cripple. Constantly whining. I get it, your older than the other teams but good lord lady, if you can't walk then don't come on the show. Let your son find someone else so that he could have a chance. And why in the world would you help the team that has gotten 1st place for the last 3 legs? That was dumb, I don't care how nice you want to be.
2. The nurse couple. She must be book smart b/c she doesn't seem to have common sense. If I was playing a drinking game for every time they said "baby", I'd be drunk by the 1/2 way point.
3. The football player/wife. I hope she doesn't whine about not being able to do something every episode. Last week (?) she whined about not being able to dance. This week it was whining about climbing and reading a map. She's lucky her husband didn't throw her out of the car!
4. The firefighters. I hope neither one of the is in charge of driving the fire truck b/c she would definitely get them lost on the way to the fire.

Maybe I was just in some type of mood when I watched it that made all these teams get on my nerves. Hopefully next week is better. I can't wait to see how the 2 guys do in a country that doesn't speak Spanish. I think that's helping them a lot.

1. The mother/son team. She needs to stop acting like an cripple. Constantly whining. I get it, your older than the other teams but good lord lady, if you can't walk then don't come on the show. Let your son find someone else so that he could have a chance. And why in the world would you help the team that has gotten 1st place for the last 3 legs? That was dumb, I don't care how nice you want to be.
2. The nurse couple. She must be book smart b/c she doesn't seem to have common sense. If I was playing a drinking game for every time they said "baby", I'd be drunk by the 1/2 way point.
3. The football player/wife. I hope she doesn't whine about not being able to do something every episode. Last week (?) she whined about not being able to dance. This week it was whining about climbing and reading a map. She's lucky her husband didn't throw her out of the car!
4. The firefighters. I hope neither one of the is in charge of driving the fire truck b/c she would definitely get them lost on the way to the fire.

Maybe I was just in some type of mood when I watched it that made all these teams get on my nerves. Hopefully next week is better. I can't wait to see how the 2 guys do in a country that doesn't speak Spanish. I think that's helping them a lot.
No, it's not just you! I'm a former firefighter/EMT, and the firefighters make me nuts! In a fire situation, you have to always be on alert, waiting for the next shoe to drop, constantly focusing on your surroundings-your life may depend on it. Ditto for the nurses--you need to be on constant alert for a change in circumstances that requires a reaction. How do these people function on the day-to-day?

I watch with my DS18, who is waiting to turn 21 so he can go on AR with DD28 (they've been planning this for a very long time!). I told him, "There's no way the mother-son team makes it to the final!" And the gay couple seem nice enough, but it seems that they're doing so well, mostly because the other teams are so bad!

I did think the male nurse was very supportive--I would have lost patience long before. And I like the older couple, but don't know that they'll make it to the end. I also like the pilots, but again--I feel like they should be doing better than they are.

It does look like many of the teams got lost in navigation for this leg!

Random question does anyone know what is done with the money when teams are required to get it? Meaning the instrument part where they had to get a certain amount of money to get their clue by performing on the street/asking people. It's not the first time they have done these tasks but last night a thought popped in my head where does the money go after they are done with their tasks.

Did anyone else notice that the husband of the older couple put his hand over the wife's mouth while they were on the mat? I would not be ok with my husband doing that.

Did anyone else notice that the husband of the older couple put his hand over the wife's mouth while they were on the mat? I would not be ok with my husband doing that.
I didn't take it as anything other than playing around because she was swearing. I didn't find it to be a big deal.

I must have been in the same mood as you then!! Because all those things bugged me too!!

you missed the "best" whine. She can't shake maracas and hold out a hat for money.

I won't say I dislike this season, but it is a let down after last season. Not a lot of smarts.

I won't say I dislike this season, but it is a let down after last season. Not a lot of smarts.
FYI, this season was actually filmed before last season. When the strike happened and CBS wanted to go to 90 minute shows, Phil or a producer suggested that instead of taking the footage they already had and try to stretch it to 90-minute episodes, they would film a new season specifically with the mindset of 90 minute episodes. So last season is that, and then this season was actually filmed before that and is just being shown now.

That's also may be why we've seen more masks this season than last (it was earlier in COVID), and why they have the start groups again when they didn't last season. Not sure if that plays into why you liked last season better; just wanted to share that.

Last edited:
FYI, this season was actually filmed before last season. When the strike happened and CBS wanted to go to 90 minutes shows, Phil or a producer suggested that instead of taking the footage they already had and try to stretch it to 90-minute episodes, they would film a new season specifically with the mindset of 90 minute episodes. So last season is that, and then this season was actually filmed before that and is just being shown now.

That's also may be why we've seen more masks this season than last (it was earlier in COVID), and why they have the start groups again when they didn't last season. Not sure if that plays into why you liked last season better; just wanted to share that.
I was actually aware of that. I think last seasons teams were more likable and had more game smarts for lack of a better term

you missed the "best" whine. She can't shake maracas and hold out a hat for money.

Yeah this season isn't as good, but I think reediting for 90 minutes hurt them a bit. Maybe it will pick up now that the weaker teams have been eliminated (I liked them, but it was apparent that they wouldn't be going far).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter