Amazon Escape?

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
I have 2 questions. One, when did ABD start doing the Escapes? I don't remember there being a Barcelona Escape when I did my Med cruise. Second, is the Amazon Escape worth it before the Galapagos Expedition Cruise? Thanks!

The earliest I can find them mentioned in the catalogs is 2013. But they don't mention the add-ons in some of the pre-2013 catalogs, either, so it may have been a separate catalog or something. The first cruise add-ons were done in 2010.

Sayhello

We did not do an ABD but we did add on time in the Amazon following our first trip to the Galapagos. I'm not sure I'd recommend staying on a river cruise instead of a lodge along the river as we did the latter, but definitely recommend time in the Amazon if you can swing it, boat or no! You'll be doing the same activities either way; I just feel like we had more walks in and around the forest during our time than the itinerary allows, and also wandered the lodge and lake side in our "down" time since we were on land. We also had the flexibility to do more night walks if we wished (my husband did; I was full on spiders after the first one and stayed in).

I have 2 questions. One, when did ABD start doing the Escapes? I don't remember there being a Barcelona Escape when I did my Med cruise. Second, is the Amazon Escape worth it before the Galapagos Expedition Cruise? Thanks!
I'm not sure when you're considering going, but my friend and I are doing the add-on before our Galapagos adventure in June. I can report back if that isn't too late for your decision-making process.

I'm not sure when you're considering going, but my friend and I are doing the add-on before our Galapagos adventure in June. I can report back if that isn't too late for your decision-making process.
I booked it. But I'd love to hear your feedback when you get back!

The earliest I can find them mentioned in the catalogs is 2013. But they don't mention the add-ons in some of the pre-2013 catalogs, either, so it may have been a separate catalog or something. The first cruise add-ons were done in 2010.

Sayhello
Thanks!

We did not do an ABD but we did add on time in the Amazon following our first trip to the Galapagos. I'm not sure I'd recommend staying on a river cruise instead of a lodge along the river as we did the latter, but definitely recommend time in the Amazon if you can swing it, boat or no! You'll be doing the same activities either way; I just feel like we had more walks in and around the forest during our time than the itinerary allows, and also wandered the lodge and lake side in our "down" time since we were on land. We also had the flexibility to do more night walks if we wished (my husband did; I was full on spiders after the first one and stayed in).
Thanks for the perspective. Having done the ABD Seine River cruise and the Nile river cruise included as part of the Egypt ABD, I do like the idea of a river cruise on the Amazon. And as a solo traveler I prefer to be in ABD's hands as soon as possible once I get there rather than do much travel on my own in a location I don't know.

I know the Barcelona Escape was there back in 2011. I haven't done the Amazon one but the others have been well worth it.

Thanks for the perspective. Having done the ABD Seine River cruise and the Nile river cruise included as part of the Egypt ABD, I do like the idea of a river cruise on the Amazon. And as a solo traveler I prefer to be in ABD's hands as soon as possible once I get there rather than do much travel on my own in a location I don't know.

Oh more than fair! I was with my husband which really emboldens me. Now that I've done it once I'd have no qualms but that first time it is way too much. I hope you have so much fun you just can't help but come back and share your report with us!

I did the Amazon/Galapagos ABD back in 2019 when it was all one trip. I went mostly looking forward to the Galapagos, not realizing how much I would enjoy the Amazon. If the Escape is anything like what we did, I would say it's definitely worth it. We stayed on the Anakonda riverboat and generally had two excursions every day. The boat moves so we visited different locations and weren't confined to seeing just one area.

I did the Amazon/Galapagos ABD back in 2019 when it was all one trip. I went mostly looking forward to the Galapagos, not realizing how much I would enjoy the Amazon. If the Escape is anything like what we did, I would say it's definitely worth it. We stayed on the Anakonda riverboat and generally had two excursions every day. The boat moves so we visited different locations and weren't confined to seeing just one area.
Thanks. I wanted to do that trip but had other things planned with Galapagos further down the list of priorities, then they changed it to the Expedition Cruise and the Escape. It sounds like what you did for the Amazon part is similar to the itinerary for the Escape, so that's good to know it was worth it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter