Amazon

dclpluto

DIS Veteran
im new to amazon. I heard so many good things about amazon about people saving money. I don’t see any good deals that will save me money. What I’m I missing? I put in a lot of things I use and almost everything is a higher price. I did order some toothpaste that’s about the same as I pay just to do it. WhAt have you found that is a good price?

I would agree with you. I don't find great prices there, either. I find better prices on Ebay, almost always. What I do like about Amazon, though, and you have to be a Prime member for this benefit, is how very quickly you can get something you need to be delivered right to your house. For me, it is two days (people in metro areas might get it in one). This benefit has helped us out on plenty of occasions. I am not paying really high prices for an item (I would not do that) but just not getting a great price on it. If I have time to wait a week or more, and Ebay has it for a better price, I will do that, instead. If it is the same price or a buck higher, say, I will go with the faster delivery.

And then you have to figure out if you do this often enough to make the annual Prime membership worth it.

Always price compare for everything! When they have deals, they're AMAZING! I got some baby items about 30% less than any other baby store/Walmart/Target even if I used coupons at those places. However, as far as diapers and wipes I find Target to be best for those because they always have deals.

Other things I buy from Amazon: toys, printer ink, filters for the refrigerator, dog food, Halloween costumes and other odds and ends that I will have to look for at a dozen stores.

What I don't find good deals on is clothes, shoes or every day essentials. Unless it's something I'm having a hard time finding I'll go elsewhere.

The Prime membership for me is worth it as I probably get a minimum of one package a week (more around Christmas) and unlimited photo storage and free music and movies. I'd value it at about $300 a year for our family.

I buy a lot of random stuff on Amazon. Dog food is the one consistent that's cheaper and this way I don't have to lug a 30lb bag home from the store. I also sometimes get vitamins and hair care products because they are cheaper especially now that Ulta restricts some of the brands I buy from their coupon. I've also bought shoes when they are cheaper or I can't find elsewhere.

It's like any other store though, you'll find deals sometimes, other time it's the same or more so you have to watch things. I have Prime because they have the Grand Tour and it's the only place to watch it. For me those 12 eps along with whatever I save on shipping make it worth it to me. I'm waiting on a pair of earbuds I ordered this morning for same day delivery to arrive. It was the free option along with Tuesday so I saw no reason to wait. This is the 2nd pair I've ordered in the last month. I wasn't happy with the last ones and returned them via their Amazon lockers. I had my refund the following business day. This pair was recommended by a coworker so hopefully I won't need to return them, but their return process is easy.

I live in a fairly rural area. I'm able to order specialty items, get them in 2 days, and return them for free with the included packaging if they don't work out. Usually, the prices are good also, especially since most of those items aren't available to me without a 2-hour drive. As an example, I wanted some pink-and-white oxfords for a Dapper Day outfit. I got them on Amazon for a great price; there is nothing like that where I live. Ordered them yesterday and they arrive tomorrow. Free return if they don't fit or I change my mind. Also ordered a sailor dress and a shirt. I've ordered specialty belts and hats in the past. My dd wanted some miniature knives and guns made of sugar to go on top of cupcakes she made to celebrate her birthday with the cast when she was in the play Chicago. They were quite a hit :) I look at ebay, Etsy, and other sites but Amazon as a prime member is my favorite.

im new to amazon. I heard so many good things about amazon about people saving money. I don’t see any good deals that will save me money. What I’m I missing? I put in a lot of things I use and almost everything is a higher price. I did order some toothpaste that’s about the same as I pay just to do it. WhAt have you found that is a good price?
For me it's about the variety of items easily available on Amazon, not getting a price break. I don't buy regular grocery or home goods types of items via Amazon unless I can't find them at home.

Amazon prices aren't as good as they used to be. I usually find prices the same or lower at other places. I use them mostly for research these days - to identify different items/brands, see the reviews, etc.

I dropped Prime this year because of repeated delivery issues with Amazon Logistics and because I figured out paying $100/yr for "2 day" delivery (which was usually closer to 4 or 5 days with Amazon Logistics in my area) of items I generally don't need in 2 days is just a waste of money. I didn't use Prime Video or Prime Music much so those weren't incentives for me. When I had Prime, if prices were the same, I would buy from Amazon since I would get it faster. But without Prime, they take longer to deliver than everyone else. So I haven't purchased anything from them since December. I am not actively avoiding them, I've just found a better deal someplace else on everything.

Not having Prime has also cut down on impulse buys, saving me a small fortune :)

Last edited:
For home stuff like Prime Pantry I wouldn't use it because it's priced higher--but there's convenience in having it shipped to your door. I haven't delved into Prime Pantry much though just from a glance things are pricier.

For many other items we use it often. It's rare for the stuff we buy that is that something on Amazon costs more than in store or elsewhere. There are times where it might be slightly higher but it gets to my door in 2-days vs a lot longer.

You also have to consider when you're shopping in store or online elsewhere are you using coupons, etc.

We buy my cat's water fountain filters often enough because they are less than in store. His water fountain we got him was under $30 whereas even Walmart has it for $45 and the manufacturer has it for $70.

I bought tennis shoes 1 time but that's because I already owned one just in a different color. I got them for $25 when in store they run $55-$60. Just that color though was that low. The color I had already owned is probably right on price or just a smidge less on Amazon; when I was checking other retails none of them had a price difference for different colors. As a norm I don't buy clothing online.

We just bought at the end of Feb a 50lb bag of eco-friendly/pet-friendly/less concrete damaging ice melt for $18. It was a few dollars less than the manufacturer but the shipping time was less too.

Last summer we bought ink for our printer and it was actually less than Costco's sale.

The list goes on. We've also been Prime members for something like 6 years now and find it worth it..not just for shipping but also deals throughout the year for Prime members, music and video (haven't used the photo storage yet as we use Google photos).

We will often price stuff out when we're in store using the Amazon app (where you can scan the barcode or have it look at the item with your camera).

I find alot of things "open box" that are like new but opened and returned so they are discounted. It is things that are normally hard to otherwise find a discount for. This can be a great way to save. I also go on if I need something super quick. I don't use it as much as I used to though, since other stores have started 2 day shipping now to compete and Amazon 2 day shipping seems to often not be 2 days anymore.

Like every thing you have to shop around, we have found sometimes they are less and sometimes they are not. I usually have 3 or 4 windows open when I'm shopping to compare costs. We like it because returns are very easy,no questions asked, you just box it up, print a return label from the site and if you aren't in a hurry, they will even come pick it up. There is no return fee and no return postage.

There is no return fee and no return postage.

This isn't completely true - if you just decide you don't want an item, they charge return shipping, except for select shoes and I think clothing. Returns are generally free only if there is something wrong with the product. Even with Prime.

Now, that said, usually it is easy enough to "invent" something wrong with an item (color isn't what you expected, etc.) So that's the game most people play. But if you are honest and say I just changed my mind, or I found it cheaper somewhere else, they will charge you return shipping.

Last edited:
I definitely compare prices prior to purchasing on Amazon. They sometimes are higher priced, sometimes they are lower. I like their subscribe and save and have found they save me money on dog food and treats, so that's what I use it for most. We have prime, but we watch a lot of the Prime shows and stream music, so, compared to what I pay for Netflix, I think it's a good deal.

I love Amazon! I’m in the process of changing all of the brass hardware in our house to bronze and Amazon has been great for this! The door handles, hinges, door stoppers, etc have been cheaper on Amazon than Home Depot and Lowe’s which important since I have like 40 handles to change! I am down to 7 handles remaining.

We are in a rural area so the simplicity of getting what we want at our door (especially in the winter with toddlers) is amazing!

I also signed up for one of their cards and get 5% back on everything I purchase there.

We have prime but are not renewing this year, especially when I saw that Amazon does not pay ANY tax at all and makes billions a year. Disgusting!!!

I buy lots of stuff on Amazon, but it's usually not stuff I go through quickly.

We have prime but are not renewing this year, especially when I saw that Amazon does not pay ANY tax at all and makes billions a year. Disgusting!!!

1. Certain news media may have spun this story to sensationalize it - nice headline, but not exactly the truth.

2. If you avoid buying from each large corporation that use tax loopholes to minimize and avoid tax then I'm sorry to say your Disney days are done.

1. Certain news media may have spun this story to sensationalize it - nice headline, but not exactly the truth.

2. If you avoid buying from each large corporation that use tax loopholes to minimize and avoid tax then I'm sorry to say your Disney days are done.

Not going to get into it with you but corporations that are making billions should pay their fair share of taxes no matter who they are.

I always pay sales tax on the stuff I order from Amazon, but I live in WA and there's Amazon stuff all over the place so they have to collect it. I'm not sure if it's what the new story is about, but I know previously it had to do with whether Amazon had a physical location in the state, like a distribution center. If they didn't they weren't required to collect sales tax, but I think that's the case for a lot of online businesses. Which also leads to the question, do you pay tax on the stuff you buy from ebay or etsy? I don't recall it ever being something I needed to pay and I've bought from "businesses" on them not just someone cleaning the attic out.

This isn't completely true - if you just decide you don't want an item, they charge return shipping, except for select shoes and I think clothing. Returns are generally free only if there is something wrong with the product. Even with Prime.

Now, that said, usually it is easy enough to "invent" something wrong with an item (color isn't what you expected, etc.) So that's the game most people play. But if you are honest and say I just changed my mind, or I found it cheaper somewhere else, they will charge you return shipping.

I guess I've never had a reason to return something unless there was something wrong, never occurs to me to order something and return it because I didn't want it. I've returned things because they didn't fit right or were broke or the wrong item. I can only remember ever returning one thing in my entire life after it got home (either online or real store) and that was a purse I ordered on line and when I got it it was just way bigger than it looked on line. I ordered that from somewhere other than Amazon so had to pay SH to return it. Other places I've ordered on line I've had to pay S/h to return even if they were exchanges for different sizes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter