America

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but most companies offer PTO and short term disability. I personally don’t think maternity leave should be subsidized by the government.
Yeah, but how much? I have many friends/acquaintances in professional positions who have 2 weeks of PTO annually, and if the have STD it's only because they are paying for it themselves. You can't count on that as any kind of reasonable back-up.

I don't know if there will be a WW3, but no empire has lasted forever. Everything goes in cycles, and it doesn't mean the demise of a country. Italy and Britain are still around. Maybe it will be a good thing...no more meaningless wars to stay on top.
I do worry about the WWIII prospect, what with the unrest spearheaded by Russia :(

True but most companies offer PTO and short term disability. I personally don’t think maternity leave should be subsidized by the government.
Our government doesn't just hand out public money for maternity or sick leave. These are covered conditions under our federal Employment Insurance system, into which each worker pays premiums and are therefore entitled to defined benefits, like any other form of insurance. Sometimes these coverages overlap; those with supplemental insurance (either privately purchased or through workplace benefits) would generally collect short-or-long-term disability that way, rather than through federal Employment Insurance.

What on earth does that have to do with anything? No clue about any of that.
You gloated that your country “cares about women” as it relates to maternity leave.

So I am asking if all of your athletes feel the same way? Why don’t you have a clue about it? It’s an important current issue to women athletes not just in your country, but globally.

I only got my entire maternity leave paid because I’d worked for the same company 10 years and had banked a ton of sick time and was up to 3 weeks vacation per year. (Thanks, infertility, for taking it so long for me to get pregnant, I guess.) Still, I was only able to use 8 weeks of sick time after my c-section even though I had more available, so I used “vacation” time for maternity leave (which is the least hilarious joke imaginable).

No. It’s not, Right now states are threatening the very existence of some citizens. Everyday, citizens are treated differe due to the color of their skin, gender identity,or sexual orientation. Last year, women lost the right to body autonomy.
First of all, no one is treated differently due to skin color on a government level (unless you count affirmative action which discriminates against whites and Asians) and it’s very rare on a cultural level as well nowadays. Government protects people of all sexual orientations as well and by snd large the cultures more accepting of them than ever before. With roe vs wade, it was given to each state to decide which is the way the country was intended to be, each state making their own laws and existing like mini countries almost, fed government was only originally supposed to protect all the states. If you don’t like the laws of your state (as put into action by democratically elected officials) you are free to live in another state whose laws you agree with. And I suggest you or anyone else who finds America so objectionable and discriminatory to go live in a country like Iran or China then maybe you’ll appreciate this country. I really wish everyone who hates this country would just leave, it would make the country a much better place for those of us who appreciate being able to live in the best and most amazing country the world has ever known

You gloated that your country “cares about women” as it relates to maternity leave.

So I am asking if all of your athletes feel the same way? Why don’t you have a clue about it? It’s an important current issue to women athletes not just in your country, but globally.
Does it? Seems like a very niche area to me.

Wasn’t this thread posted to glorify America? Or what was the purpose of this thread?

I like America. I spend tourism dollars there.

Does it? Seems like a very niche area to me.

Wasn’t this thread posted to glorify America? Or what was the purpose of this thread?

I like America. I spend tourism dollars there.
At the risk of stating the obvious it was about/around 4th of July. Would you not expect your threads about Canada Day to have a similar vibe? I definitely remember them doing so. Furthermore while you're welcome to join in the conversation I'm unsure of your investment so heavily in a thread started on a holiday celebrating the U.S.

I think FMLA is generally misunderstood. All FMLA does is guarantee that your/a job will be held for you if you are out on sick leave for up to 12 weeks; you can't lose your job because you are out sick for an extended period. There is no financial compensation associated with FMLA, just the guarantee that your boss cannot fire you because you cannot work for up to 12 weeks; they have to have a job for you when you return to work within that 12 week timeframe, and it doesn't even have to be your position, just A position. The "family" part of FMLA is also valuable, as your job is protected if you are the care-giver of someone with a medical issue. It means if your husband has to go for chemo regularly, your boss has to allow you to transport and care for them in the following days, if needed. I believe a care-giver clause is valid for a year, meaning you can have up to 12 weeks of sporadic time off to care for someone- take them to appointments or whatever, in addition to if they need 24/7 care. Once again, no financial support (people I know take it as unpaid time off or hourly sick leave) but you can't be fired for your own, or family, medical situations.

Medical tourism is a HUGE deal in the USA. I had bariatric surgery 6 years ago, and as I have amazing, affordable health insurance, I was able to have the surgery here, at home, for a reasonable cost. However, most insurances don't cover bariatric surgery, so people travel all over the world to have it done as it's far more affordable to have done in another country than in the USA if you are paying out of pocket. Actually, depending on your medical insurance, it's cheaper to have many surgeries done out of the USA, including airfare and hotel costs, than it is to have done on your insurance, if you have a high deductible. I guess I could ask... if medical care is so stellar in the USA, why are people traveling to other countries to have procedures done?
My mom and my aunt (her sister) went to Mexico together to have their gastric sleeves done. It was a resort-style hospital stay, with all American surgeons and medical staff, but significantly cheaper than what they would have had to pay in the US.

We have too many people to have a functional NHS. 350 million vs 60 million or less in every other European nation.
It would be complicated to implement but that’s like saying it would be hard to implement an NHS in a country with 60 million that has been set up in a country with 10 million. I think that the bigger issue is that the healthcare industry is so vehemently opposed to it. It would undoubtedly be better for the majority of US citizens to have national healthcare services, but it would have huge ramifications on profits for the healthcare industry.
we

then why do I know people from England that came to UAB In Birmingham Alabama for a knee replacement. Seems fishy that they would choose to do that instead of the stellar state of the art care you describe. Medical tourism is a big deal in the UK. https://amp.theguardian.com/society...m-desperation-britons-resort-treatment-abroad
Medical tourism isn’t a big thing here at all and certainly not due to poor standard of care. A lot of medical tourism is people travelling abroad for cosmetic surgery which is cheaper than here in the UK and not covered by the NHS. The same thing happens in the US all the time. The article above refers to long wait times for surgery post-COVID which is an issue, just as it has been in the US.

Healthcare statistics for many years have evidenced a better healthcare provision in the UK (and other western countries). The NHS ironically likely offers stellar, state of the art care to more Britons than the US system does to Americans because we are all able to access it. Wait times are a major problem for non urgent surgery, and that is an issue that is being debated in our country at the moment.
When I had my laser eye surgery years ago the whole waiting room were Americans from North Dakota and Minnesota. The office even had brochures and info on hotels for Americans.
Guess from my one antidote we can determine the USA system isn’t stellar. /s
I have read many stories about Americans having to travel to Canada to buy insulin for a fraction of the price just to stay alive because it is so astronomically priced in the US. I’ve seen people who don’t live close enough to the border being told to ask their doctor for free insulin samples, or buy cheap less advanced insulin from Walmart because it’s all they can afford. It’s definitely something we take for granted here where if you’re diagnosed with diabetes, you have free insulin for life.
:scratchin Or maybe we can determine that since laser eye surgery is an elective and FOR FEE/PROFIT $$ procedure in both countries, marketing to Americans near the border is smart business on the part of the facility you went to? And given that the quality of care would likely be excellent, a thrifty American would be inclined to have the procedure done at what currently amounts to about a 30% discount, if priced in Canadian dollars?

Vision care, dental work, mental health services, dermatology/cosmetic medicine, sports medicine and some limited orthopedic medicine are among the few things that are legally allowed to be provided at private, for-profit facilities in Canada. Most of this is NOT covered under our provincial health systems. They can and must be "purchased" with either cash or covered by supplemental insurance (which is also purchased either by the individual or their employer). One is free to buy these services either here or abroad, which is why tens-of-thousands of Canadians travel to wherever they deem the services to be the highest quality, and most timely and economical. Heck, I've had extensive dental stuff done in Mexico (it's pennies on the dollar to what it costs here) and it was arranged through a brokerage firm in Winnipeg called Dental Departures. They handled everything, including the transportation and hotel. I'd give their services a high recommendation.
I didn’t realise that optical, dental and mental health services weren’t provided by the state in Canada - it’s really interesting to learn about how our systems differ. In England mental health services are free at point of use, and though optical and dental are payable for most working age adults, they are heavily subsidised by the government.

Are there no private hospitals or doctors surgeries in Canada? A lot of Britons do go to private services for less serious health issues because of waiting lists so it is nice to have them available. Because free healthcare is available, private healthcare is priced quite competitively - I think I paid about $250 USD for a consultation with a dermatologist a few years ago.

In the UK we now have three tiers of health care, so to speak:
  1. NHS - No fees, any procedure performed within reason, but may have a waiting time. I was lucky enough to be treated by the NHS in new and novel ways immediately, for example, rTMS sessions.
  2. Semi-Private - Call a premium rate number and speak to a professional one-to-one, no waiting times. Elementary advice only, prescriptions offered if needed. Immediate access.
  3. Private - Usually expensive but the quality of care is amongst the best and most innovative in the world and is immediate, within reason. Insurance makes it more affordable but you can book appointments as needed if preferred.

Our government doesn't just hand out public money for maternity or sick leave. These are covered conditions under our federal Employment Insurance system, into which each worker pays premiums and are therefore entitled to defined benefits, like any other form of insurance. Sometimes these coverages overlap; those with supplemental insurance (either privately purchased or through workplace benefits) would generally collect short-or-long-term disability that way, rather than through federal Employment Insurance.
All I said was I don’t think government should supplemented maternity leave. I have no idea where you live or how it works in your country. How much do you pay a month for your insurance?

And before I get accused of “hating America “ yet again. I obviously don’t or I wouldn’t spend my limited vacation time and money there.

But if someone posts “America is best at this” on a message board it’s okay for me to state my country’s positive attributes too. Saying “well other countries have opportunities too” or “other countries have better mat leaves” doesn’t = hate.

It would be complicated to implement but that’s like saying it would be hard to implement an NHS in a country with 60 million that has been set up in a country with 10 million. I think that the bigger issue is that the healthcare industry is so vehemently opposed to it. It would undoubtedly be better for the majority of US citizens to have national healthcare services, but it would have huge ramifications on profits for the healthcare industry.

Medical tourism isn’t a big thing here at all and certainly not due to poor standard of care. A lot of medical tourism is people travelling abroad for cosmetic surgery which is cheaper than here in the UK and not covered by the NHS. The same thing happens in the US all the time. The article above refers to long wait times for surgery post-COVID which is an issue, just as it has been in the US.

Healthcare statistics for many years have evidenced a better healthcare provision in the UK (and other western countries). The NHS ironically likely offers stellar, state of the art care to more Britons than the US system does to Americans because we are all able to access it. Wait times are a major problem for non urgent surgery, and that is an issue that is being debated in our country at the moment.

I have read many stories about Americans having to travel to Canada to buy insulin for a fraction of the price just to stay alive because it is so astronomically priced in the US. I’ve seen people who don’t live close enough to the border being told to ask their doctor for free insulin samples, or buy cheap less advanced insulin from Walmart because it’s all they can afford. It’s definitely something we take for granted here where if you’re diagnosed with diabetes, you have free insulin for life.

I didn’t realise that optical, dental and mental health services weren’t provided by the state in Canada - it’s really interesting to learn about how our systems differ. In England mental health services are free at point of use, and though optical and dental are payable for most working age adults, they are heavily subsidised by the government.

Are there no private hospitals or doctors surgeries in Canada? A lot of Britons do go to private services for less serious health issues because of waiting lists so it is nice to have them available. Because free healthcare is available, private healthcare is priced quite competitively - I think I paid about $250 USD for a consultation with a dermatologist a few years ago.
Healthcare is run at a provincial level in Canada so services can vary.
Mental health is absolutely funded by the government system! Not always enough and we seem to be chronically underfunded but that’s another story.

No dental and optical not funded. Eye exams are free for under 18 and over 65 in my province. Probably similar in others.
Things like cataract surgery are free. But not corrective laser surgery usually.

They just started some kind of federal pediatric dental reimbursement program for lower income families. And there are couple low income dental clinics in the city here.
Many people have private insurance via work to pay for things like glasses, counseling, prescriptions.

It’s a mixed bag. No private hospitals in my province .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter