American Girls Doll?

DaystarPearl

Mouseketeer
American girl dolls worth the money? I've been looking at them for my daughter for Christmas but I have also seen similar dolls at Walmart for 30.00 compare to 100.00 or more. Would you spend the money for a real American Girl Doll?

It depends. How old is your daughter? If she is young and wouldn't take care of her go with the target our generation. If she 6 or older and into the American girl stories then it is probably worth the money. My daughter loves all the books, which increased her play time with the dolls. We have had both and ended up getting rid of our off brand one as no one (my daughter or friends) wanted to play with the off brand. The hair doesn't hold up as well and the girls did not think that the doll looked pretty. The other nice thing about AG dolls is that they retain their resell value. My daughter has been able to sell used dolls for almost the same price as she bought them new. You could also consider buying used as well. My daughters first AG was used. If you are a Costco member you can buy $100 worth of AG gift cards for $80.

The American Girl dolls are much better quality than the Walmart/Target dolls. I would say that I have to disagree with the PP on the age thing just from our experience. Thanks to our niece, DD saw an American Girl Catalog when she was 2 and fell in love with Felicity (now discontinued) and for 6 months insisted that was what Santa was going to bring her and it was really the only thing she absolutely wanted for Christmas. Santa brought Felicity. DD was not quite 3. DD is 9 now and Felicity is still in great shape and has been joined by other AG friends. From age 2 to about age 6, DD played with those AG dolls and their accessories and furniture constantly. They were the primary toys she was interested in and we definitely got our money's worth. Most of the girls her age had AG dolls by age 4. Sometime before DD turned 7 the playing with AG dolls slowed down considerably. At 7, her friends were no longer really interested in playing with them when they came over. DD played with them here and there, but not that much. DD still puts AG stuff on her Christmas list, but at age 8 and 9, she really no longer plays with them that much. As expensive as they are, I am very glad she got them young and they got a lot of play time. While the Walmart/Target dolls are not nearly as good, we do have some of the accessories/furniture from those and it gets played with. If price is a concern, I would try to go with the AG doll (you can sometimes get really good deals on Ebay on ones that look new), and do the furniture and accessories from the cheaper stores.

I am 32 and still have my American Girl doll that I got when I was little. I took that doll everywhere, even on vacations. It stood up well to all that use and is in almost perfect condition. I will hopefully pass my doll down when I have a daughter, as well as get her another doll of her own. I love that they now have dolls that can look like you. I would go with the AG doll. They are well made. As PP said, you can buy the cheaper accessories if you want to save some money.

My DD is asking for one at Christmas too and we know we are getting her one but would love to know how much the Costco dolls are. If we can save anything on it we definitely will!!

The 20% off gift cards from Costco are a great deal. It will bring a Truly Me doll down to $92 and right now they have free shipping. AG also has a few really great sales going on right now. I bought the American Girl collection which included three outfits with shoes, a store background and hangers for $50 -- but that's really $40 with the Costco deal, so about $13 per outfit. Even target outfits are $13-$17 and AG is much higher quality.

I'd say they are definitely worth the money. A lot higher quality than similar dolls at Walmart or Target, though just as cute of course. Depending on how old your daughter is, I'd recommend getting a doll with hair that is not curly, as the dolls with curly hair can quickly get out of control if not cared for properly. :) Also check EBay if you decide to purchase one, as there are often new in box dolls on there for same or cheaper price as the original retail price. For additional outfits and accessories, check Etsy too; lots of adorable handmade things there for the dolls.

My DD is asking for one at Christmas too and we know we are getting her one but would love to know how much the Costco dolls are. If we can save anything on it we definitely will!!

I saw the Caroline Abbott doll in my store this morning for $99.

We have the AG dolls and a bunch of AG outfits as well. Grandma bought some Our Generation outfits and they just don't fit very well. One sweater has never been able to get on a doll. I wouldn't suggest much in the way of off-brand outfits since I've had such trouble with fit. The accessory sets, however, look quite nice and you don't have to worry about them either fitting or staining the doll.

Personally, I LOVE the historical dolls.

My daughter is 7 years old she still plays with dolls, loves to dress them and do their hair. The tops of her list this year is American Girl doll and matching clothes as she has seen in a catalogue I recently received in the mail. I've searching online and did find clothes on Amazon for Dollie & Me outfits.

The Dollie & Me outfits honestly never really seemed to fit that well either. American Girl has really gotten a tad out of hand in pricing their outfits in recent years, so I really would suggest Etsy more for outfits. :thumbsup2

Reactions: Kae
I bought my DD an American Girl doll last year. It was around the end of November or early December that the Today Show had the Jill's Steals and Deals and I was able to order the Isabelle doll for $79. They usually have the Bitty baby also for about $65 at the same time. You have to watch for the sale because they do sell out quickly but it is a great deal.

It was posted on Jill Martin's Facebook that there are no more American Girl deals on Jill's steals and Deals for the rest of the year. If you buy a doll direct from American Girl up until the end of November they will donate a doll to a Children's Hospital for each one sold.

Hi, Will there be any DEALS on American Girl accessories for either Black Friday or Cyber Monday?? Items are already selling out online and I am trying to decide weather to hold off or just BUY now. Thanks, Joan

Hi, Will there be any DEALS on American Girl accessories for either Black Friday or Cyber Monday?? Items are already selling out online and I am trying to decide weather to hold off or just BUY now. Thanks, Joan

Hi,
There will be items on sale on Cyber Monday, but if you're looking for specific items, there's no guarantee that the items that you want will be on sale then. They usually have a range of modern and historical outfits and accessories, but it's just select items, not everything on the site. I hope this helps!

Black Friday has been traditionally in store and minor discount on pets and movies. Cyber Monday is when they unload old stock. If you are looking to buy something newer or Girl of the Year then I would purchase soon. The may run small weekly sales on select merchandise but no guarantee.

Thanks to this thread I got the gift cards! Spent $160 and got $200 worth of gift cards! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter