• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

American Idol 2024

Nice tribute from Taylor Hicks.That was really a strong Season right in the middle of Idol's "Golden Age".

Taylor Hicks (via Twitter): “.@mandisaofficial was a power house vocalist on our season of Idol and it graduated to a wonderful career in gospel music. Better yet she was a power house person and all of us will miss her dearly."
1713627598172.png

Statement from American Idol on Mandisa's passing.

Mandisa was an adored icon on American Idol and in the music industry. She had become a platinum-selling artist and had won several Grammys for her music. Her passing has left everyone on the show heartbroken, and we extend our deepest condolences to her family.

Mia hit it out of the park.

Emmy didn't have an understanding of what she was singing about. I didn't see someone who was going though longing and heartbreak and understanding she wasn't loved back. She was just trying to sound pretty. During the last note, she opened her eyes and SMILED at the audience. (It didn't help that they glammed her up so much. That isn't her.)

The best rendition I've seen of I Can't Make You Love Me is George Michael singing it live on YouTube. Gone much too soon from this world, and maybe knew it somehow, so he put all of his soul into his songs, especially the ones like this song.

Tristan as young Elvis-was not expecting that!lol

Tristan was great. Great to open the show with too. Gene's mentoring was spot on. Tristan wasn't trying to do 'Elvis.' We weren't trying to look for Elvis in his performance or seeing reminiscence of him. Tristan did Tristan with a heck of a lot of energy, enthusiasm and stage presence.

Imzadi, your take on Emmy was spot on.

I love Tristan and can't believe how young he is!

Final 12, there are 2 in there that I have not voted for at all but different strokes for different folks when it comes to music and obviously they have fans.

More thoughts:

I know Gene told Nia to be as big as she can be, but all she did was SHOUT and be shrill. Pretty sure that's not what Gene meant. :headache:

Putting Jayna in a Whitney Houston costume was not good. She couldn't quite hit the notes the way Whitney did, so having a direct comparison with Whitney, down to the look was probably the kiss of death.

As a note to every contestant: If you can't sing like Whitney, don't pick ANY of her songs. I'm talking to you, Jordan. :headache:

I loved how Gene really worked on many of the contestants physicality and got them in touch with their bodies. He sat there doing his mentoring and at 74 he could have sat through it all. Instead, he would get up and really get physical with them and get them anchored in their bodies instead of their nerves. 🥰

Yet, he also knew how to really affirm the contestants emotionally and for all the stereotypical reputation KISS has of being a big, sensational band, that it's the emotion one brings to a song that matters and got the contestants to bring it emotionally.

Gene is famous for all the larger than life face makeup, tongue gyrations and facial expressions. And there he is watching Jack. . . He tells Jack that the less SHOWY he is, the more authentic he is and to just sing-talk it. (Because Jack doesn't make those faces when he simply TALKS.) That LESS is MORE. Brilliant! :worship:

And with Roman, Gene talked to him with his language and church symbolism. Telling him to be big, raise his arms up at the end and "Praise the lord." And that, "It doesn't end with the last note, and it doesn't begin with the first note," like having faith or believing in God only when you see or hear something, but that it starts from a deeper place.
eusa_pray.gif

I think after Idol, Roman will be given chances to make it big on the Christian/Gospel Rock charts. Christian music could probably use a new Donnie McClurkin for the younger generation, one who's had crossover fame from being on Idol.

Last night was great, finally recognized the songs they sang! Triston did great with an Elvis song, loved having him open the show. And Will singing a Bob Seeger song was wonderful! Those two are my favorites. I also voted for Mia, and first time voting for Jayne and Julia, I really enjoyed hearing them sing Whitney songs. I was fine with the 2 that were voted out. Looking forward to Billboard songs tonight.

The celebrity advisor seems to be heavily coached ahead of time by the show's producer on what to say. Gene seemed to say a lot of the same things the judges have said about the various contestants, just seems unlikely he would know those things in the brief time he interacts with all of them.

I was impressed with more of the contestants last night, especially the first four. It's great to see them blossoming with good coaching.

More thoughts:

I know Gene told Nia to be as big as she can be, but all she did was SHOUT and be shrill. Pretty sure that's not what Gene meant. :headache:

Putting Jayna in a Whitney Houston costume was not good. She couldn't quite hit the notes the way Whitney did, so having a direct comparison with Whitney, down to the look was probably the kiss of death.

As a note to every contestant: If you can't sing like Whitney, don't pick ANY of her songs. I'm talking to you, Jordan. :headache:

I loved how Gene really worked on many of the contestants physicality and got them in touch with their bodies. He sat there doing his mentoring and at 74 he could have sat through it all. Instead, he would get up and really get physical with them and get them anchored in their bodies instead of their nerves. 🥰

Yet, he also knew how to really affirm the contestants emotionally and for all the stereotypical reputation KISS has of being a big, sensational band, that it's the emotion one brings to a song that matters and got the contestants to bring it emotionally.

Gene is famous for all the larger than life face makeup, tongue gyrations and facial expressions. And there he is watching Jack. . . He tells Jack that the less SHOWY he is, the more authentic he is and to just sing-talk it. (Because Jack doesn't make those faces when he simply TALKS.) That LESS is MORE. Brilliant! :worship:

And with Roman, Gene talked to him with his language and church symbolism. Telling him to be big, raise his arms up at the end and "Praise the lord." And that, "It doesn't end with the last note, and it doesn't begin with the first note," like having faith or believing in God only when you see or hear something, but that it starts from a deeper place.
eusa_pray.gif

I think after Idol, Roman will be given chances to make it big on the Christian/Gospel Rock charts. Christian music could probably use a new Donnie McClurkin for the younger generation, one who's had crossover fame from being on Idol.
If they were looking for another guy to replace Katy instead of a girl,Gene could slide right in seamlessly.

There is some good talent this year,but the Judges have told just about,if not ALL of them that they will be doing this for the rest of their lives and will be STARS!

That just is not realistic to tell all of them that IMO.

Very impressed Idol is going to do a "musical tribute" for Mandisa next week.

I thought they would probably just show a "montage" of her performances when she was on Idol and say a few words of remembrance last night and that would be it.

I am curious who will be part of the "musical tribute".

Maybe some of the season 5 Cast is coming back(Taylor Hicks,Catherine McPhee,Ace Young,etc.)

Maybe some of her Contemporary Christian Artist friends are going to do it(Steven Curtis Chapman,Danny Gorkey,etc.)

Maybe the current Cast will do it.

Or maybe a mixture of all 3 groups.

Still so sad-47.

There is some good talent this year,but the Judges have told just about,if not ALL of them that they will be doing this for the rest of their lives and will be STARS!

I agree, they seem to overly gush about some of the contestants each year way too early in the competition. During the initial tryouts to say they are going to be a star based on hearing them sing one song seems a bit over the top to me. Even winning American Idol is no guarantee of a successful musical career. Many past winners had limited success or their careers just never went very far.

I think the judges say those things to hype up the show which is unfortunate to the contestants whose musical careers might never pan out.

I was impressed with more of the contestants last night, especially the first four. It's great to see them blossoming with good coaching.

If they were looking for another guy to replace Katy instead of a girl,Gene could slide right in seamlessly.

He would be great. Like Katy, he really does work them on the area they have a deficiency in. 50 years in the business, he knows how to zoom in on that. Plus, he must have been sent clips of their performances from last week, (or asked for it,) and watched them, as he mentioned a couple times, "Last week, didn't you do. . .?" So, he'd be able to track their progress week to week. (In his reality show, he exhibited a real fastidiousness for details and would lock himself in his studio for hours working on a project. He doesn't just phone things in.) Unfortunately, the Idol producers are probably looking for a younger female judge.

Gene did that too, telling them what great voices they each had. :lmao: But, then he'd get to work. I am so over Luke telling everyone how great they are and not giving them anything to work on. You can tell by his fixed expression 😬 that even he doesn't always believe what he's saying. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter