American Idol filming at Aulani in early 2024?

Oh wow, I am DVC and didn’t as of yet receive this email. What email did you respond to. We made this trip specifically to see American Idol!! Definitely want to be in the audience!! Thanks!
Sorry, I haven't been checking Disboards regularly while on vacation. I'm not sure what criteria they used to send the email, I know that they referenced DVC, but there might have been something else. But in addition to that we received a letter in our room upon check-in that explained the American Idol stuff and that DVC would be given priority entry as long as you were at the meeting spot by 4:30pm. Hopefully you got that letter as well when you checked in. It is very windy this week, so we might check out American Idol too since the pool area has been cold and windy.

I re-read my letter. It says “Aulani Guests” receive priority entrance. I’m not sure how that fits with the DVC email I received which mentioned “VIP”.
My unverified guess is maybe
DVC then Aulani then general?
I did end up sending an email request as DVC so I’ll update if something happens on that front.

Also the area in front of the stage is very small. If they pack us in, I’m out.

Update: the DVC email had some effect. I am now on some sort of list.

Today the area behind AmaAma was closed to the public and they were taping some sort of mentorship meet and sing. It was fairly interesting. While the area was closed off, you could see what they were doing from a distance without any fuss or shooing away.

Construction of the stage has quite a bit of vehicle safety beeping, which is not particularly peaceful.

Update: the DVC email had some effect. I am now on some sort of list.

Today the area behind AmaAma was closed to the public and they were taping some sort of mentorship meet and sing. It was fairly interesting. While the area was closed off, you could see what they were doing from a distance without any fuss or shooing away.

Construction of the stage has quite a bit of vehicle safety beeping, which is not particularly peaceful.
Yes, it’s noisy and intrusive! For the next couple days you’ll hear loud mic checks and rehearsals all day, which sounds like someone is turning off and on the world’s loudest boombox, followed by another two days of beeping as the stage is dismantled.

Anyone take any photos or videos related to American Idol? Would love to see what it was like for everyone!

Once the show starts they ask that the audience not take out their phones. Less because of secrecy (people on the beach and at Aulani and the Four Seasons could take tons of photos) and more because they don’t want the audience shown holding cameras on the broadcast.

The show was long. I mistakenly thought this was a judging situation where the feedback came later. A lot of time is spent on the judges comments which were hard to hear as the audience. Actually all the speaking was difficult to hear as everything is mic’ed for the broadcast not for us.

Overall I had fun and it was sort of a “Disneys Hollywood studios” experience more than a Hawaii vacation, but the weather cooperated and Ryan Seacrest is a gem. I’m glad we did it and we enjoyed seeing the hullabaloo. But if I were to come again I would rather not be here during AI. Once is enough.

We are leaving today so we will fortunately miss the dismantling beeping. I think I would have been more annoyed if we had been here only during construction and didn’t get to see the Hollywood “magic.”

Some of the performers are legit good. We also got to see last year’s winner who is Hawaiian. The crowd went wild for him.

Another negative was we were not able to experience the storytelling activity. I was a looking forward to that, but AI took over that space too.

Attachments

• IMG_9673.jpeg
    IMG_9673.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 11

We were there 2/5 - 2/12 and really didn't feel any impact from AI. We stayed in an I/G view room overlooking the luau with a pretty ocean view also. I think our location helped prevent a lot of the noise.

We spent 3 days at the old adult pool and didn't really have any impact from the practicing, nor the tear down of the stage.

I wouldn't make an effort to stay during AI, but if that is when I needed to go (like this trip), I wouldn't be opposed to it.

We were there 2/5 - 2/12 and really didn't feel any impact from AI. We stayed in an I/G view room overlooking the luau with a pretty ocean view also. I think our location helped prevent a lot of the noise.

We spent 3 days at the old adult pool and didn't really have any impact from the practicing, nor the tear down of the stage.

I wouldn't make an effort to stay during AI, but if that is when I needed to go (like this trip), I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Sounds like you were well out of earshot. I think I’m in the minority here, but am not a huge fan of the old adult pool. It feels kind of isolated, and non Hawaii-esque. We usually hang out in either casabellas on the beach, or the lounge area in front of Ama Ama. For us AI was an unwelcome nuisance.

Old adult pool 😞

I think they should just advise people that AI will be there as part of the booking process as would be the norm at a WDW resort. They clearly know a year in advance or more - and they know, or should know, that a large scale production taking place ON the beach would be an issue for many.

Old adult pool 😞

I think they should just advise people that AI will be there as part of the booking process as would be the norm at a WDW resort. They clearly know a year in advance or more - and they know, or should know, that a large scale production taking place ON the beach would be an issue for many.
But then, if they did that, they couldn’t spring it on you at the last minute when it was too late to change your reservation, assuring that they will never lose business!

Sounds like you were well out of earshot. I think I’m in the minority here, but am not a huge fan of the old adult pool. It feels kind of isolated, and non Hawaii-esque. We usually hang out in either casabellas on the beach, or the lounge area in front of Ama Ama. For us AI was an unwelcome nuisance.
We are with you on this. We are resort people, generally spend our time in the lagoon annd lazy river. Our 2022, 2023 and 2024 trips overlapped AI filming. The first time was fun, we got to be in the live audience and enjoyed the interaction with Ryan Seacrest and saw the judges up close. The second time, we didn’t want to participate in the audience anymore and had fun watching them doing pre-show filming at AMA AMA from our beach casabella. Then we got tired of the added bodies around the resort/elevators. This year, we really hated it. Couldn’t wait for them to leave and the stage be gone and the beach area being back to normal. We will be avoiding the first part of Feb from now on.

We just returned from staying at the Aulani during American Idol filming Feb 4-8. For us, the presence of American Idol was incredibly intrusive. It essentially turned our long-planned family "Hawaiian idyll" into a rock concert. Music, playing on and off from 11 am to 8 pm every single day through the 8th, was so loud it was unpleasant to be on our balcony. Balcony doors had to remain closed (no sea breeze for us) to reduce the noise level enough for small children to nap and for adults to comfortably converse. On two nights, strong spotlights - from the stage structure one night and from the palm tree area SW of the lagoon the other night - were blinding on the balcony. Rooms most impacted were the most expensive rooms, the Grand Villas at the end of each wing. The only rooms not impacted were likely those facing the luau area. Moreover, daytime sound levels at pools near the stage were high enough to hurt ears. Like others, we were not told there would be a TV production until late November. The TV production was not identified, and nothing was said about music. Impact was vastly understated. Even if we knew what we were getting into, it would have been too late to change plans. Undoubtedly other visitors have had this negative experience as well, or Aulani would make the announcement earlier and more openly. It's too bad, because Aulani is otherwise a good place for small children. For others, especially non-DVC owners, we recommend resorts on the other islands more in tune with what Hawaii is supposed to be.

Did anyone complain to the front desk? I wondered if compensation would be offered because all of the complaints above seem valid to me. We didn’t bother since we felt American idol, at least for this first visit for us, was slightly more positive than negative.

Yes, we talked to management. They said they have a firm policy of no compensation whatsoever.

No, we didn't talk to anyone at the front desk. Just a note-to-self that we will not return during this time frame. Next year, we'll be looking at mid January instead.

Everyone is going to be affected differently based on your personal preferences. We were there from 1/30 - 1/8. Our room was facing the Luau, so we were not affected by any noise coming from the stage area. Our biggest disappointments were missing the Mo'olelo Fire Pit Storytelling and the DVC Member Celebration, both of which were cancelled due to AI occupying those spaces. Also, our Star Gazing Activity which we booked in advance was cancelled due to AI. Fortunately, we found out that the same guy does the same program at the 4 Seasons and with our Groupon deal it was cheaper. The stage did obstruct your view of the lagoon from the infinity pool. IMO, the stage itself did not take up too much space on the beach. We haven't watched the show in at least 15 years but we did find it entertaining. Our preference would've been to be there without AI, but overall it didn't have a huge impact for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter