American Idol filming at Aulani

NWDisneyFan

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know what dates American Idol will be filming and what the impact on guests will be? I really hope they aren't filming for my upcoming stay in April.

Does anyone know what dates American Idol will be filming and what the impact on guests will be? I really hope they aren't filming for my upcoming stay in April.
They're filming next week so you're good.

But there's not really TOO much impact on guests besides a stage off to the side on the beach (very out of the way).

They're filming next week so you're good.

But there's not really TOO much impact on guests besides a stage off to the side on the beach (very out of the way).

Good to know! We get there Saturday and really hoping it wasn’t too much of an impact. I never received an email from Aulani so I’m thankful that a few people on this board posted about it!

If you have Disney+, there is a show called "Disney Insider" and the first episode features behind the scenes with Katy Perry during a previous filming of American Idol at Aulani.
Just fyi and for fun

Good to know! We get there Saturday and really hoping it wasn’t too much of an impact. I never received an email from Aulani so I’m thankful that a few people on this board posted about it!
I suggest you join the “aulani trip planning” Facebook group and search American idol. Unfortunately from past experiences it seems to be pretty impactful for some guests. The stage takes up a good portion of the beach and views. Noisy rehearsals and sound checks during the day. I’ve even read stories of people not being allowed on their balcony’s… I pushed my trip forward two days to avoid being on property when production is there (2/9-2/16). Filming will be on 2/14 & 2/15. Aulani refused to help or offer anything for the disruptions but thankfully member services was able to move my dates back two days (even tho the room type was not available). It’s ridiculous they do not make guests aware that this will be happening during their stay. I’m sure this is exciting for fans of the show, but there is also a good amount of who go to aulani to relax and not be disrupted by a television production. (These aren’t my photos but seems they are building the same thing from posts made today.)

Attachments

• CD61A25E-AC64-4C9D-B282-FBE54848AEE3.jpeg
    CD61A25E-AC64-4C9D-B282-FBE54848AEE3.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 131C4082-B06A-4C95-A0C9-A8579EE15A65.jpeg
    131C4082-B06A-4C95-A0C9-A8579EE15A65.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 54
  • CECA516E-53E7-4D38-9F66-DFFFE44B0CA5.jpeg
    CECA516E-53E7-4D38-9F66-DFFFE44B0CA5.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 52
I suggest you join the “aulani trip planning” Facebook group and search American idol. Unfortunately from past experiences it seems to be pretty impactful for some guests. The stage takes up a good portion of the beach and views. Noisy rehearsals and sound checks during the day. I’ve even read stories of people not being allowed on their balcony’s… I pushed my trip forward two days to avoid being on property when production is there (2/9-2/16). Filming will be on 2/14 & 2/15. Aulani refused to help or offer anything for the disruptions but thankfully member services was able to move my dates back two days (even tho the room type was not available). It’s ridiculous they do not make guests aware that this will be happening during their stay. I’m sure this is exciting for fans of the show, but there is also a good amount of who go to aulani to relax and not be disrupted by a television production. (These aren’t my photos but seems they are building the same thing from posts made today.)

Thanks, I’ll check it out! It’s too late for us to change at this point but we plan to be doing things around Oahu both the 14/15 so maybe we’ll avoid most of it. 🤞🏽

Check the Facebook threads there is multiple guests confirming this happened to them.
I believe that you read it. I don't believe it's an accurate description of what happened.

For anyone not familiar, there are 40 contestants who each get about 2 minutes in front of the judges on the luau stage. At most, there may have been a couple of hours where people whose balconies were in camera view were asked to not use their balconies. That's different than the implication that people were banned from their balconies for entire days.

Don’t know how long it will last, but I was refused access to the parking garage from the first floor entry tonight … no sign, just a guy saying I had to be AI crew to enter there.

Edited to add… stage was not where I was expecting it to be. It’s right in front of the grotto pool area. I had assumed it would be on the big open area on the left as you are facing the water.

Don’t know how long it will last, but I was refused access to the parking garage from the first floor entry tonight … no sign, just a guy saying I had to be AI crew to enter there.

Edited to add… stage was not where I was expecting it to be. It’s right in front of the grotto pool area. I had assumed it would be on the big open area on the left as you are facing the water.
Were you able to get your car some other way?

I think the stage looks pretty awesome and my kids will get a kick out of seeing a television production, but I'll be annoyed if your ability to move freely around the resort is significantly impacted.

Yikes

Were you able to get your car some other way?

I was trying to park. I had dropped my parents off by Monkey Pod and I was trying to get back to them quickly. He made me go to the main entry. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn’t a huge deal… but there was no sign, I was in a hurry, and I’d already had issues over in Kaneohe at Haleiwa Joe’s so my feathers were ruffled.

Tonight, I convinced my 78 year old parents to walk out to the grassy point on the left of the lagoon to watch the final Aulani sunset of our trip. We got over there and started walking up the grassy hill. There are cables and what I assumed were covered lights scattered about. A guy at a table proceeded to tell us we can’t be there. We can walk through the hedges to the rocks or go to the “point”… the rocky area at the end of the hedges.

Both times I’ve been told I can’t use an area, it was by AI crew… no Aulani employees in sight.

I understand… just wish THAT information had been in the email I got, left as a phone message, or had some sort of signage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter