American Idol "ringer"

DavidandLeahZ

DIS Veteran
Regarding the 4th contestant in the green room, I did overhear him discussing with someone that he had been in the ensemble of a touring company of Les Miz.

However - Disney did announce that Cast members were allowed to audition during previews only due to low attendance/participation levels.

David - I just wanted to say, great job with the AI report. :thumbsup2 Thanks for the information.

Yes I heard him say that along with another group he had been in. I still wonder though if they won't have ringers along the way if they don't get enough contestants. You know the show must go on. :)

Yes I heard him say that along with another group he had been in. I still wonder though if they won't have ringers along the way if they don't get enough contestants. You know the show must go on. :)

I suppose it makes sense to have a backup plan in case a contestant doesn't show - but what if the "ringer" ends up getting the most votes? Will they give the spot in the finale to the real guest with the most votes? or let the ringer compete in the finale?

That is why I want to go back a few more times to see if something like that might happen.

Yeah, a thanks from me too. It was really interesting to hear about it from someone actually doing the whole process, because that is a side of it that I will never see. If anyone else does it or hears more about the "ringers," please post!

An interesting note:

They did tell me when I auditioned that I was under no obligation to return for my "call time" if I decided that I did not want to perform. So - it's conceivable that people couldn't show up. In fact - for my 4:00 show, the female contestant who won was actually originally selected as an alternate. So, perhaps they have both guest and CM backups?

I don't know if experienced singers are necessarily "ringers." It's not unusual for actual AI finalists to have some background in music. More than a few were in bands and if I recall correctly, David Archuleta previously won a reality talent show when he was younger.

Does Disney have different rules than AI?

I don't know if experienced singers are necessarily "ringers." It's not unusual for actual AI finalists to have some background in music. More than a few were in bands and if I recall correctly, David Archuleta previously won a reality talent show when he was younger.

Does Disney have different rules than AI?

Good point. However - he was backstage warming up before, during, and after my 4:00 show - which is what makes me wonder. It also could be he was a CM they recruited to use strictly during previews.

Yes, thanks David for your "backstage info" (and you too Kathy!). I enjoyed listening to your report about AI.

David, I thought your interview with Pete was excellent - insightful and articulate. Thx a mint for sharing your experience with the Dis :goodvibes

I wonder if one kept attending performances whether one would find the same contestants (i.e., backups/ringers) performing :confused:

cheers,
:flower3:

Dave - Thanks for the insider report on this attraction. You did a great job with the crew in bringing it to us.

One of the questions a lot of us had before the Idol previews was whether quality singing talent would be at the Studios on a daily basis. In addition, would they be willing to try out and spend their day devoted to one attraction. It sounds like Disney is anticipating this possibility by having stand-ins just in case of a talent shortage.

I just listened to the podcast last night at work and was very happy to hear your interview with Pete on the new AI experience. Congrats on getting as far as you did and for the very informative interview. I am an AI fan and will be checking it out in May... But not competing:)

David, glad to hear that you had fun at AI. I am interested in trying out myself in September & I also have a background in performing when I was much younger. I was curious on the predetermined song list for all performers. What songs are on it & what is the deal with the "one key only" per song? I was curious because my chosen song is something I dropped an octave lower for my vocal range & if that would work with the arrangements they have at AI. TIA!

David, glad to hear that you had fun at AI. I am interested in trying out myself in September & I also have a background in performing when I was much younger. I was curious on the predetermined song list for all performers. What songs are on it & what is the deal with the "one key only" per song? I was curious because my chosen song is something I dropped an octave lower for my vocal range & if that would work with the arrangements they have at AI. TIA!

Unfortunately, since I was rushed through the process I did not think to take a picture of the song list, but someone said disney would be putting it online sometime before the official opening. The songs on it would be considered common AI songs as well as many Disney songs (whole new world, go the distance, etc).

The issue with the keys (in my mind) is that, normally, when you sing somewhere with a backup trax CD the song is available in a high, medium, and low key. The problem with the AI attraction is that the 100 songs from which you must choose are only in one key - and there's no changes allowed.

I would have rathered sung "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" or "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" but they were just a bit out of my range. Had there been a low key listed - it would have been no problem. So - their backup tracks are a bit limited in that way.

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully the list goes up soon & I can start picking. Maybe by September they will have changed the rules about different keys. Either way I can't wait to try out, it sounds like a lot of fun & my best friend Samantha is begging me to take her with me so i've already planned on doing just that. Of course since a lot of my friends are now Idol judges, it will be nice to see some familiar faces again.

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully the list goes up soon & I can start picking. Maybe by September they will have changed the rules about different keys. Either way I can't wait to try out, it sounds like a lot of fun & my best friend Samantha is begging me to take her with me so i've already planned on doing just that. Of course since a lot of my friends are now Idol judges, it will be nice to see some familiar faces again.

My memory isn't fantastic - but if there's a certain song you're curious about - maybe I can see if it rings a bell for being on the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter