American Idol Season 14 Official Thread

These are my thoughts on last nights show. It was hard to be objective about AI after a fantastic concert by Lord Huron (check them out if you aren't familiar - great sound, different than everything else on the radio right now). I heard them at The Ryman and they are so good and that is just the best concert venue. Great sound and every seat feels like you are close to the stage.

Could the judges/show be more obvious about what they think our musical taste should be. Grrrrr! Clark's Earned It was the best of the night but the judges struggle to say anything positive to him. And they fall all over themselves to praise Jax? Do not get it! It is probably time to stop watching but the rest of TV is so bad.

Rayvon - Sort of OK but I really did not like the falsetto.
Clark - Weak start but he sounded much better when the tempo picked up.
Nick - I love Springsteen and I think he did good with this.
Jax - Horrible, I can't believe she is singing this with a cutesy smile on her face. Does she even have a clue about the attitude necessary for this song. Imagine The Who singing this with big smiles on their faces.

Big crowd for Nick. He looks so much like his dad that I think it makes Nick look older than he is. Good up tempo song by Nick.

Nashville looks good in that clip. Oh Clark's dad is crying! Clark sounds fantastic on Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay.

Rayvon seems like he is the nicest guy. I'm sad that he had to deal with rain on his hometown visit. I am not a huge fan of this performance.

Big crowd for Jax. It wasn't as horrible as her first song but she really hit a couple of sour notes. Of course they want call her on it.

Clark - Great job by Clark. That was so smooth and best of the night so far.
Rayvon - That was so quiet, it didn't seem to go anywhere.
Jax - I did not like that at all. Did not like the song, did not like her singing. And she play acts her tough girl attitude with this after smiling through My Generation? Not good.
Nick - OK. He sounded kind of karaoke to me, not bad but nothing new.

The All-Sort Song Selection Show.....Top 4 Show

This means that there's only one week to go. Thank goodness. It's been too many patchy and boring shows in a row.

Scott's choices

• Rayvon - Fast falsetto. Try saying that 5 times in a row. Yeah. I'm tongue-tripped with his performance of this song. It must be time to go home tonight.
  • Clark - What I wouldn't have given to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes to see if these two really don’t see eye to eye or not. If this is an example of the type of artist Clark is going to be turned into under the BM label, I'm going to pass.
  • Nick – A Boss song. Another good cover rendition from Nick. I think my issue with him is that he just doesn't seem to bring anything original to the table. I'm sure I'm in the minority here.
  • Jax - I really didn't like that song choice for her but she did sing that well.

Hometown homage

• Nick - Did you know the Eurovision Song Contest is just around the corner? Nick and this song choice would have completely fitted in that competition.
  • Clark – I'm sitting here on the edge of my couch watching Clark get back in groove. I don't care if he never makes it big in pop-music-land....but there always is that Jazz/R&B groove train for Clark. He should be big there.
  • Rayvon - Was it me? He just sounded flat to me.
  • Jax - LOVE! I can definitely see why Scott is pushing for her.

Judge's Pick

• Clark - Great way to end his songbook tonight. It's all up to the voting public now.
  • Rayvon - I really wanted to hear Keith sing this. Does that say it all?
  • Jax – As much as I loved her My Immortal rendition, I totally hated this song. It's all up to the voting public now.
  • Nick - It's all up to the voting public now.

No surprise that Rayvon goes home tonight.

Here's to the final round.

princess::upsidedow

Ever since the Mariah/Nikki year, I still watched, but didn't feel the same. I think it is good to let it go....Hoping for a Blowout Finale in 2016!

Okay here's what we know for the finale season:

Wednesday/Thursday time slot till it goes to the live show then will follow same format just on Thursday instead of Wednesday.
Former judges and alumni will be invited back for a final goodbye
Will be same judges as right now

On making the decision to bring American Idol to an end: “It was not an easy decision. American Idol has been such a vital part of FOX for its run. We spent a lot of time talking with the producers about the future of American Idol and collectively we all arrived at the conclusion that it was time to bring the show to an end. We really wanted to do it in a way that felt special and celebratory and treated the show the way that it deserved to be treated. [The final season is] going to be a true season long celebration. We’re already talking about surprises we can have for the fans to make it feel special, and to send it off in a way that is as significant as its run it’s had on our network.”

Will judges like Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul have some role in the final season? “We would welcome any of them back. Obviously, the executive producers are focused right now on ending this season in a big way. We’re having conversations with them about anything that you can imagine in terms of what would be celebratory, what would feel nostalgic, and all of the things that you might do to send the show off in a way that feels memorable.”

What happens to the franchise now that the original run of Idol is over? “We haven’t had any kind of detailed conversations with them about life post next season. We have a very collaborative relationship with [Idol production company] Freemantle, Core is part of the greater 21st century FOX family. I think the future for the franchise–the story remains to be written. Idol still is a popular franchise in other parts of the world. It just felt collectively with them, it was the right time to bring this run to a close. I think the future–there is endless possibilities.”

Are there any surprises ahead for the finale and beyond? “We don’t really have anything to share today about what’s going to happen next season. We’re just staying focused on ending this season. If you can imagine the conversations that we’ve been having with them about what next season will look like, and finally making a pretty emotional decision to bring the show to an end. It really consumed the conversations that we’ve had thus far. I’m sure next week after the show has wrapped we’ll start having more concrete conversations about exactly what next season will look like. I will tell you, having spent time very recently with former Idol judges, there’s a lot of enthusiasm about coming back and paying tribute to a show that launched many many successful careers. I think there’s going to be a lot of enthusiasm around former contestants and judges being a part of the show.”

Is FOX out of the singing competition business? “I don’t think we’d ever make that kind of proclamation. Obviously Idol has been such a strong performer for us and continues to be a strong performer. We have a new head of unscripted programming…she and her team are developing all sorts of unscripted programs including performance shows. We’ll see what comes in that feels most creatively vibrant and we certainly could end up in that space. It feels that space–you need to re-invent performance shows somewhat. That certainly would be a challenge we would welcome.”

How seriously did the network consider bringing Idol back in the summer, or blowing up the format completely, before deciding to end it altogether? “We really didn’t give a lot of thought to that. Idol is a #1 show on broadcast, I believe for eight seasons. It was a collective decision that we made with the producers that the right way to send this show out is right in the time period that it’s had for these last years and to make it a celebratory event. It still has a great deal of popularity in viewing and we’re going to deliver a really special season next year.”

There was a question about bringing back Brian Dunkleman. The room erupted in laughter. “Where is Brian Dunkleman? If you get me his number I will call and invite him.”

via mjsbigblog

Nick Fradiani:

??? – Coronation Song
Bright Lights, Man in the Mirror, or What Hurts the Most – Reprise
Song by Jason Mraz – Simon Fuller pick

Clark Beckham

Champion – Coronation Song
??? – Reprise
Ain’t No Sunshine by Bill Withers – Simon Fuller Pick

Jax

??? – Coronation Song
White Flag by by Dido – Reprise
Song by Christina Perri – Simon Fuller Pick

If I go by the clips, jax is my least favorite. Very hard to understand some words because of how she accents or pronounces things. Nick is probably the most radio friendly. Clark is in between.

For what the song is supposed to be used for I liked Clark's the best. The opening with the chorus reminds of P2's Home. Nick sounds good but the lyrics don't make sense in the context of a song about athletic competition. I think there was something in there about the end of the world? And I am a broken record on Jax. I did not like hers at all. It is full of that affected pronunciation that she has used all season. I don't know where she picked that up but it is awful.

For what the song is supposed to be used for I liked Clark's the best. The opening with the chorus reminds of P2's Home. Nick sounds good but the lyrics don't make sense in the context of a song about athletic competition. I think there was something in there about the end of the world? And I am a broken record on Jax. I did not like hers at all. It is full of that affected pronunciation that she has used all season. I don't know where she picked that up but it is awful.
Agree with you. I think in terms of radio nicks will be the one. Shall be interesting to see them translated live. Jax ugh that pronunciation alone on the title of the song would be enough for me to change the station because it doesn't even sound like the word

I for one am going to miss Idol. I still enjoy it. I like the current judges that are on there. I like this Wednesday only format they are doing. I think there was and is some darn good talent this year. Did they let some good people go that shouldn't have been cut? Sure, but that happens all the time. I know the show has a lot of haters now but I never felt that it was or is a disaster (other than the Mariah/Nicki year).

I for one am going to miss Idol. I still enjoy it. I like the current judges that are on there. I like this Wednesday only format they are doing. I think there was and is some darn good talent this year. Did they let some good people go that shouldn't have been cut? Sure, but that happens all the time. I know the show has a lot of haters now but I never felt that it was or is a disaster (other than the Mariah/Nicki year).
of. EPIC. proportions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter