Amex FHR at PBH - experiences?

ocdb8r1

Mouseketeer
We have stayed at PBH before but our next visit will be the first time we've booked using American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts. Wondering if anyone here has any reports of staying on such a rate? We will get breakfast daily and another amenity (which based on most recent reports is now a "Dinner for 2" somewhere onsite). Curious if anyone knows what the breakfast benefit will be (assuming the buffet there, which we have never done...so appreciate reports on it) and what the dinner benefit is.

The times we've stayed at PBH, the APH rate was much cheaper that the Amex FHR rates, so we never went that route. But we can only go on major holidays. I don't remember seeing much chatter on the subject...

The times we've stayed at PBH, the APH rate was much cheaper that the Amex FHR rates, so we never went that route. But we can only go on major holidays. I don't remember seeing much chatter on the subject...
Yeah - you really need to look at the value of the extras and what benefits your particular card gives you.
At Sapphire Falls for a two night stay you get a $100 room credit and my net cost OOP is less than the AP rate

Agreed - FHR rates are rarely the absolutely the cheapest so it's pretty rare I would go this route.

Yeah - you really need to look at the value of the extras and what benefits your particular card gives you.
At Sapphire Falls for a two night stay you get a $100 room credit and my net cost OOP is less than the AP rate

...and this is precisely the case. With my Amex Platinum I am getting a 2x$200 credit ($200 is an annual credit toward FHR bookings and an additional $200 was added this year due to COVID) toward my booking along with the FHR benefits. Makes it a no brainer this time.

We have stayed at PBH before but our next visit will be the first time we've booked using American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts. Wondering if anyone here has any reports of staying on such a rate? We will get breakfast daily and another amenity (which based on most recent reports is now a "Dinner for 2" somewhere onsite). Curious if anyone knows what the breakfast benefit will be (assuming the buffet there, which we have never done...so appreciate reports on it) and what the dinner benefit is.
Yes, I just did this, but only for one night. I used points plus the 200 dollar platinum credit to get a free night. We got 100 dollars off Dinner at any restaurant of our choosing and then the free breakfast buffet the next morning. The breakfast buffet was really good, The credit was 34.00 dollars per person for breakfast. I believe you could also use it for a la carte. We got upgraded to a room with a huge balcony and a fruit plate delivered to our room. We moved over to the HRH club level with the AP rate for the next two nights. I think it was well worth it for one night and plan on doing it again next year when my platinum 200 dollar credit resets. We have AP's s for us not worth it for more than a night since the AP rate is lower.

Yes, I just did this, but only for one night. I used points plus the 200 dollar platinum credit to get a free night. We got 100 dollars off Dinner at any restaurant of our choosing and then the free breakfast buffet the next morning. The breakfast buffet was really good, The credit was 34.00 dollars per person for breakfast. I believe you could also use it for a la carte. We got upgraded to a room with a huge balcony and a fruit plate delivered to our room. We moved over to the HRH club level with the AP rate for the next two nights. I think it was well worth it for one night and plan on doing it again next year when my platinum 200 dollar credit resets. We have AP's s for us not worth it for more than a night since the AP rate is lower.

Excellent and thanks for the post. Curious how your room switch experience was between PBH and HRH? I am also considering a similar move for the same reasons (just booked 2 of my 4 nights with FHR).

Good to know - I though you needed to book two nights or the credit - Ill keep that in mind next year

Was the $100 credit for the dinner good for a restaurant at Portofino or any UO location? And did it need to be used the night of the stay?
I also have the $400 credit so it makes sense to do one night with Amex and the other two with the AP rate. Thanks.

Was the $100 credit for the dinner good for a restaurant at Portofino or any UO location? And did it need to be used the night of the stay?
I also have the $400 credit so it makes sense to do one night with Amex and the other two with the AP rate. Thanks.
I think it’s only good at the hotel. Just make sure you charge your meal and breakfasts to your room and use your platinum card for hotel charges. I would also check out in person to make sure the charges come off.

Excellent and thanks for the post. Curious how your room switch experience was between PBH and HRH? I am also considering a similar move for the same reasons (just booked 2 of my 4 nights with FHR).
We had a car, but the hotels are right across the street from each other. If you don’t have a lot of suitcases it would be an easy switch on foot. Similar to switching from Beach Club to Boardwalk Inn.

I booked Portofino Bay with my Platinum card for the end of this month. I am curious if I will actually receive all these perks. This is the verbiage from AMEX page for Portofino Bay Resort:

At this property, Platinum Card®Members receive:
  • Daily breakfast for two
  • Experience Credit: A complimentary dinner, for two people per room, excluding alcoholic beverages, taxes and gratuities, once during your stay
  • 4pm check-out guaranteed
  • 12pm check-in, when available
  • Room upgrade at check-in, when available
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi

We used the FHR Amex benefit twice. Both times we booked the 2 bedroom portofino parlor suite bay view and at the time ( this was a few years ago) they counted the rooms as 2 rooms so we ended up having the buffet breakfast at Trattoria free every day we were there - 5 people each time and we were there 5 nights. We also used the late check out. Did not receive an upgrade - and truthfully wouldn't have wanted one - we wanted the room we booked. I normally just end up using our AP now to book and don't use the Amex FHR program.

Edited to add that we did use the benefit at the Spa too.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can get all the AMEX benefits if u book first 2nights at Portfino with AMEX, then STAY at Portfino for next 4 with AP Rate. I know it’s been done by transferring to a second hotel for second part of stay, but u think u can stay at one location for deal?

You should get the AMEX benefits for the first 2 nights (the nights you are staying with the AMEX rate.) I doubt you will get the benefits beyond that. So I would use the $100 sometime during that first 2 nights. And don't expect to get free breakfast after that as well. Note those benefits aren't totally free, someone pays for them (i.e. AMEX), but don't expect AMEX to pay for those benefits while you are staying on a non-AMEX rate.

If you received a room upgrade, it is possible the hotel might let you stay in the same upgraded room (even if your 2nd reservation was for a lesser room.) But that would most likely be very dependent on how booked the hotel is. So don't expect to be able to stay in an upgraded room, but be happy if they let you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter